News Intel GPUs - Intel launches A580

Page 24 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
Haha it's adored TV ffs, the discredited fake leaker with 5Ghz half price Zen2s amongst other hilarious goofs.
Is Charlie Demerjian also discredited leaker who faked 10 nm Intel process woes?

What does he say about AdoredTV's content in this Video:

"Most of these people are either friends or solid acquaintances, I know most of the players well. I am telling you that Jim is right on 90%+ of what he says but again, I differ with him on some interpretations. Your basis of argument seems to be, "I don't like the idea"."​

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Adored on the topic of Intel GPU division. Enjoy.

Interesting video. I certainly hope Adored has chosen to be a little more careful with his leaks/speculation after the Zen2 mess, and it appears as if he's looked for more corroboration of independent sources before revealing information.

That being said, I find some of the comments about DG2 on TSMC 7nm to be a bit odd. If Intel's upcoming 7nm node isn't useful for GPUs, then where does that leave Ponte Vecchio?

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Is Charlie Demerjian also discredited leaker who faked 10 nm Intel process woes?

What does he say about AdoredTV's content in this Video:

"Most of these people are either friends or solid acquaintances, I know most of the players well. I am telling you that Jim is right on 90%+ of what he says but again, I differ with him on some interpretations. Your basis of argument seems to be, "I don't like the idea"."​

Ha. I put Charlie and AdoredTV in about the same basket of TMZ tier clownshoes. So it would make perfect sense for them to be two peas in a pod.

Fwiw I sincerely doubt Intel GPU will ever amount to anything whatsoever in the consumer space. I think it's a strategic move for DC and such so they don't have to depend entirely on Nvidia etc for that kind of thing. Level of success? Hell, probably mediocre to poor.

But AdoredTV and Charlie for me personally I put zero confidence in. I prefer to wait for concrete results or tests vs rumor mill grist and personal biases. YMMV.

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
Ha. I put Charlie and AdoredTV in about the same basket of TMZ tier clownshoes. So it would make perfect sense for them to be two peas in a pod.

Fwiw I sincerely doubt Intel GPU will ever amount to anything whatsoever in the consumer space. I think it's a strategic move for DC and such so they don't have to depend entirely on Nvidia etc for that kind of thing. Level of success? Hell, probably mediocre to poor.

But AdoredTV and Charlie for me personally I put zero confidence in. I prefer to wait for concrete results or tests vs rumor mill grist and personal biases. YMMV.
The difference between Charlie/Jim and TMZ is that TMZ actually has vetted sources. You may not like the sensationalism, but if anything happens with celebrities in LA, and TMZ reports it, it's almost certainly true (see: Kobe helicopter crash reporting). In that sense, TMZ is actually a news source for celebrity news in LA, whereas Charlie/Jim are just speculating based on what they are hearing, which may or may not be coming from good sources.

Charlie/Jim are more like the National Enquirer.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
But isn't it the true?
What product did intel release in 10nm besides the dual core with the broken igp?
Plus, outside of Intel, no one knows what 10nm really is. By saying 10nm, we're led to believe that it's the same as always. Is this true?

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Interesting video. I certainly hope Adored has chosen to be a little more careful with his leaks/speculation after the Zen2 mess, and it appears as if he's looked for more corroboration of independent sources before revealing information.

That being said, I find some of the comments about DG2 on TSMC 7nm to be a bit odd. If Intel's upcoming 7nm node isn't useful for GPUs, then where does that leave Ponte Vecchio?

I feel bad for adored in the end. Felt like he was one of the good youtubers until he blew his load for AMD, then his predictions got him roasted by even the same AMD fans he was now trying to cater to.

Social media is one helluva a drug! I'm only interested in product launch reviews now, and even those now are sort of unreliable as products change minutes before hitting store shelves.

Hmmm...I miss Anand :(

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
I feel bad for adored in the end. Felt like he was one of the good youtubers until he blew his load for AMD, then his predictions got him roasted by even the same AMD fans he was now trying to cater to.
There are two sides to the coin, perhaps he had a source he really trusted, and got completely blind-sided. But I really think it would be ridiculous for him to expect a single source to know the entire CPU lineup, base and boost clocks, and prices. And then for him to run and publish it as if it were fact. Maybe he did believe it too deeply, if he did, well, he's really gullible, and hence I think he'd be hard to trust in the future for that reason. But part of me can't shake the idea that he just made up a large amount of the CPU lineup and clocks based on what he expected rather than what he actually confirmed from sources.

I'm only interested in product launch reviews now, and even those now are sort of unreliable as products change minutes before hitting store shelves.
That's a huge issue. Plus, as drivers improve, it changes things over time. 5700 was 8% behind 2060S at release, now only 4% behind. Really interesting to watch. I expect when Intel release their cards, they'll see a similar ramp-up period, so I think most tinkerers are going to avoid it at first. Then again, who knows, since Intel have had integrated graphics for so long, they may actually have plenty of driver experience to make this whole thing work.

Reactions: Tlh97 and mikk

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
Gen12 is a new architecture for them, I wouldn' expect fully optimized drivers at launch, but for sure their driver team is probably bigger and better nowadays than in the past, so we will see.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
There are two sides to the coin, perhaps he had a source he really trusted, and got completely blind-sided. But I really think it would be ridiculous for him to expect a single source to know the entire CPU lineup, base and boost clocks, and prices. And then for him to run and publish it as if it were fact. Maybe he did believe it too deeply, if he did, well, he's really gullible, and hence I think he'd be hard to trust in the future for that reason. But part of me can't shake the idea that he just made up a large amount of the CPU lineup and clocks based on what he expected rather than what he actually confirmed from sources.

That's a huge issue. Plus, as drivers improve, it changes things over time. 5700 was 8% behind 2060S at release, now only 4% behind. Really interesting to watch. I expect when Intel release their cards, they'll see a similar ramp-up period, so I think most tinkerers are going to avoid it at first. Then again, who knows, since Intel have had integrated graphics for so long, they may actually have plenty of driver experience to make this whole thing work.

Yeah part of the biggest mess with his 'leaks' was how they became a game of telephone with tech news and various other sites. Eventually they were parroted as if they were legit without even giving the source. Ended up making people expect waaaaay too much, which was kind of unfair for an outstanding release as it was.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000

For what it's worth, the above-linked AdoredTV video does feature him stating repeatedly that he has been sitting on information until he could get corroboration from multiple (read: more than 2) independent sources. Could be he's still lying, don't know. But that's exactly what he should be doing after blowing up his rep like that.

Feb 4, 2009
I’m happy that there is at least a chance of a 3rd reliable vendor entering video cards.
I’m pretty sick and tired of nvidia milking every possible dollar out of everything. I’m pretty tired of AMD being “good enough” but nothing to be excited about.
Even if intel becomes the low end, low cost solution at bare minimum that should move the midrange performance higher.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I don't know why people are so hard on AdoredTV. How could you possibly care enough to bad mouth the guy? It's the nature of speculation and leaks. He takes an inherent risk by attempting to bring people information that they are thirsty for before a product is even announced. It's a risky business. Getting it wrong is expected. No one should care that much about this kind of thing. It's entertainment.
At least his job is really easy when it comes to Intel graphics. Just say it sucks with a religious confidence and move on.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006

I don't know why people are so hard on AdoredTV. How could you possibly care enough to bad mouth the guy? It's the nature of speculation and leaks. He takes an inherent risk by attempting to bring people information that they are thirsty for before a product is even announced. It's a risky business. Getting it wrong is expected. No one should care that much about this kind of thing. It's entertainment.

At least his job is really easy when it comes to Intel graphics. Just say it sucks with a religious confidence and move on.

Well, it's not like I want the poor sod burnt at the stake or anything. It's just the kind of rumor grist + how bogus news can spread like wildfire, inevitably losing attribution along the way, that promotes bad practices in tech coverage. A lot of my particular issue with it comes from how its presented.

"I believe this could be the range of SKUs and MSRPs, based on feedback I'm hearing from sources that have been correct to various degrees in the past" is far preferred to "Extra! Shocking insider leaks show this amazing thing will cost X, and be even better than the company has previously announced!! Subscribe and smash that like button!!"

He runs TWO patreons apparently as well, which I can't totally bag him for as it's voluntary, but the guy asks for money and I just believe that a more responsible standard for classifying news and rumors is definitely preferable to the borderline gossip column style of some of these guys.

Gamers Nexus, Hardware Unboxed, Tech Yes City, etc, they're kind of taking the baton from the more classical old school websites for reputable news and reviews. All of them are extremely honest, unbiased, and one of the ways you can tell is from Intel or AMD or Nvidia fans crying about bias against them whenever the truth hurts lol. Whenever a source is 100% focused on reporting predictably biased info however, I'm out.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
I should also really clarify that I'm not the YouTube police or anything :) I wish everyone well and people are free to say and share what they will. It's just my perspective, YMMV.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001

Jim is a lightning rod because he's ruffled feathers and hit some sacred cows in the past couple of years. Same with Charlie at SA for even longer.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
when i first read that intel was going into the world of discreet gpus i thought that they are probably ... possibly, trying to take funds away from AMD by cutting into their profits from the GPU side, so they will have less money to R&D with.
And that's not a completely insane idea.

But i thought, that Intel was aligned with NVidia? Not officially, but as AMD supports ATI (you know what i mean) then Intel would back NV products. Surely this would cut into THEIR market as well?

Because you know someone is going to buy Intel GPUs if they make any - even if they are not competitive. Even worse situation is IF they are competitive.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006

It's my strong intuition that consumer is the lowest priority for Xe strategically. It sounds like it is really designed for big AI/HPC/Compute fields, with scalability the major ethos of design philosophy. You don't even have to read too deep between the lines there. And unlike a gamer GPU, where explicit ~300W single slot performance is the end all be all, a scalable part for big compute can be stacked 8x, 128x, or even thousands of dies to achieve the target performance. And instead of relying on Nvidia to deliver those parts, with supply/markup/delay/adaptation to the project, they can build it end to end in house IF it works out. A shortfall per die in some performance aspects may be irrelevant if the cost per unit is lower for themselves, and they can just throw more of them at the task.

Given that, I don't think this will put much pressure on AMD or Nvidia consumer GPU fronts, for better or worse (honestly do need prices to drop!). Otoh, success would greatly impact Nvidia in DC/HPC/AI if Intel brings compelling value to that sector. Will be interesting to see.

I don't think Intel is overly concerned with AMD at present in any field. They're both able to sell everything they can produce, and TSMC can only supply so many chiplets to AMD as it is, the coming wave of new iPhones will be more of a threat to AMD than Intel is.

when i first read that intel was going into the world of discreet gpus i thought that they are probably ... possibly, trying to take funds away from AMD by cutting into their profits from the GPU side, so they will have less money to R&D with.
And that's not a completely insane idea.

But i thought, that Intel was aligned with NVidia? Not officially, but as AMD supports ATI (you know what i mean) then Intel would back NV products. Surely this would cut into THEIR market as well?

Because you know someone is going to buy Intel GPUs if they make any - even if they are not competitive. Even worse situation is IF they are competitive.

Reactions: DigDog