News Intel GPUs - Intel launches A580

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Intel Opens Graphics And Hardware Research Center In India With Over 1500 Employees

The title is pretty self explanatory, Intel is opening an R&D Center in India with over 1500 Employees for Graphics Hardware and Software.

This is on top of the Toronto Office they are Opening to Research, Design and Develop GPUs
Great news.
Wait 6 years and I am sure this will rock.

And cpu decisions seems to be on a roll now but gpu is a mess. They need to do something radical about it. They simply don't have the man power to develop the needed software for all the segments they want to enter. Even the hardware is lacking.

They are in a bad position because moving rd to lower cost countries is only something you do effectively if you have the scale like Intel demonstrates here.

It's good to see Intel move out of their safetyzone. Now get a new bod and CEO to prepare for the next 20 years :)

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
They are in a bad position because moving rd to lower cost countries is only something you do effectively if you have the scale like Intel demonstrates here.

I actually doubt that because the competent (best) ones will always want to leave for the west.

ub4ty

Jun 21, 2017
Great news.
Wait 6 years and I am sure this will rock.

And cpu decisions seems to be on a roll now but gpu is a mess. They need to do something radical about it. They simply don't have the man power to develop the needed software for all the segments they want to enter. Even the hardware is lacking.

It's good to see Intel move out of their safetyzone. Now get a new bod and CEO to prepare for the next 20 years :)
Aren't these kind of movements what got them in trouble in the first place? Inspires zero confidence in their product line.
Work is transferred to such centers from the valley for various reasons and none of them tend to be good beyond short sighted money savings. Almost always there's a higher up Indian person who spear headed the initiative who stands to win big on such an establishment. Gee, I wonder who this could be.

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
Has anyone done any calculations on where Intel stands right now in terms of performance/watt? I mean what if they upscale HD6XX or Iris Pro. What could they reach for say 200W?

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Has anyone done any calculations on where Intel stands right now in terms of performance/watt? I mean what if they upscale HD6XX or Iris Pro. What could they reach for say 200W?

It doesn't scale very well. HD 530(Skylake) was pretty efficient per watt but Iris Pro 580 is not. The design is likely optimized for the common configuration which is the HD 530.

Reactions: Tlh97 and psolord

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
Intel Opens Graphics And Hardware Research Center In India With Over 1500 Employees

The title is pretty self explanatory, Intel is opening an R&D Center in India with over 1500 Employees for Graphics Hardware and Software.

This is on top of the Toronto Office they are Opening to Research, Design and Develop GPUs

I can't help, but think this is mostly so Raja can go home whenever he feels like it. The obvious other advantage is that India leverages a huge and much cheaper talent pool for programmers. Intel needs to create a software ecosystem from scratch. It took AMD 1.5 years to build a solid base to their ecosystem. Double that to get to where they are today. We are almost at 2019 and Intel thinks they are going to launch in 2020? The only way it gets done is massive amounts of programmers. Quality of the implementation remains to be seen.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
The obvious other advantage is that India leverages a huge and much cheaper talent pool for programmers. Intel needs to create a software ecosystem from scratch

And doing that in India will fail. I still don't get it why companies think they save money with moves like that. Indians mostly have one goal: leave india and go to the West. Which essential means anybody talented will sooner rather than later leave your Research center. meaning you will have large turn-over and will constantly be on-boarding new hires while the actual talented ones leave. Does this sound like it will end in a good software product?

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011
And doing that in India will fail. I still don't get it why companies think they save money with moves like that. Indians mostly have one goal: leave india and go to the West. Which essential means anybody talented will sooner rather than later leave your Research center. meaning you will have large turn-over and will constantly be on-boarding new hires while the actual talented ones leave. Does this sound like it will end in a good software product?

Agreed completely. This is not a smart move.

R0H1T

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2013
And I could write a bunch of things about the West & conflate that with everything else, nothing like opinions brandishing ignorance :confused:

I dunno was 10nm research done in Bangalore, seems like the people at home are slipping?
Agreed completely. This is not a smart move.
Yup nothing wrong with what he said, nothing at all :rolleyes:

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
I don't think all Indian's do want to move to the west, but they want to earn what they are worth. The fundamental problem is companies hire in India to save money, so they try to do it on the cheap and hence do not get the best people. At most you get smart uni grads who work for you for 2 years for the experience and then move on to someone who pays them better.

If you were to hire in India and were doing it to get the best programmers, not to save money, you would get some seriously good people.

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011
I don't think all Indian's do want to move to the west, but they want to earn what they are worth. The fundamental problem is companies hire in India to save money, so they try to do it on the cheap and hence do not get the best people. At most you get smart uni grads who work for you for 2 years for the experience and then move on to someone who pays them better.

If you were to hire in India and were doing it to get the best programmers, not to save money, you would get some seriously good people.

True. The problem isn't with outsourcing, there's nothing magical about U.S. programmers, the problem is with going cheap and making the bottom dollar the priority over quality.

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009

Maybe they will use the India center as a starting point. See who is talented and forward them to higher grade centers.

Although I don't see the problem with talented people staying in their own country if the pay is decent. I mean it's not everything about money. There are higher qualities in life.

Reactions: Tlh97 and prtskg

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
As India develops a larger and larger middle class and the societal benefits of this flow, the old strategy of "anywhere is better than India" will slow down.

Combined with increased nationalist zeal and tightening immigration standards in the west and you get a one two punch.

Anecdotal, I know, but: A couple years ago my cousin, who had an excellent job here in the US, got married (to another Indian who herself had a fantastic job here), had a child and tried to apply for citizenship and the process was so grueling that he decided to just go back to India. He's doing fine today.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
It would be nice if Intel could start making decent CPU's at reasonable prices ... you know preferably on a 7nm ...but intel can't even make a chip @ 10nm. I dunno where you guys are dancing around saying AMD is gonna be left out holding the bag...

Intel needs to catch up in the CPU market first. They seem to dabble around ... trying to find their niche, so to speak. Remember when intel tried to enter the cell phone market ... spent billions of dollars but, that ship has already sailed... Once again Intel failed to produce. Now they want to spend even more money in the GPU market, sure, they have a CRAPPY iGPU that AMD 2200G and 2400G runs circles around, and they are just warming up.

If you guys got any cash in intc stock, best to dump it now, about the only thing good intel has going for them now is their modems and server equipment.

But...the kicker deal is, amd is ramping up fabing its zen server cores in china. Once that happens AMD will probably be outselling intel in china and possible other countries in asia and india. Undercutting server chips will be a huge win for AMD since they are selling the license and getting a slice of the pie.

I could be totally wrong, but I doubt it. I see AMD at stock prices of 50 bucks, while Intel crashes back down to who knows where. Time will tell... But for certain AMD/Nvidia have a huge leap for intel to follow in the GPU market for a very long time. Be lucky if they can prototype a chip in a few years, then it will take another year to fab it out. If it was easy...everyone would be doing it.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
It would be nice if Intel could start making decent CPU's at reasonable prices ... you know preferably on a 7nm ...but intel can't even make a chip @ 10nm. I dunno where you guys are dancing around saying AMD is gonna be left out holding the bag...

Intel needs to catch up in the CPU market first. They seem to dabble around ... trying to find their niche, so to speak. Remember when intel tried to enter the cell phone market ... spent billions of dollars but, that ship has already sailed... Once again Intel failed to produce. Now they want to spend even more money in the GPU market, sure, they have a CRAPPY iGPU that AMD 2200G and 2400G runs circles around, and they are just warming up.

If you guys got any cash in intc stock, best to dump it now, about the only thing good intel has going for them now is their modems and server equipment.

But...the kicker deal is, amd is ramping up fabing its zen server cores in china. Once that happens AMD will probably be outselling intel in china and possible other countries in asia and india. Undercutting server chips will be a huge win for AMD since they are selling the license and getting a slice of the pie.

I could be totally wrong, but I doubt it. I see AMD at stock prices of 50 bucks, while Intel crashes back down to who knows where. Time will tell... But for certain AMD/Nvidia have a huge leap for intel to follow in the GPU market for a very long time. Be lucky if they can prototype a chip in a few years, then it will take another year to fab it out. If it was easy...everyone would be doing it.
Dude. Intel CPUs are still selling quite well to the point where they are having shortages of some SKUs. They do have the resources to develop quite suitable dGPUs as long they don't do it half-arsed.

Reactions: Tlh97 and ozzy702

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Dude. Intel CPUs are still selling quite well to the point where they are having shortages of some SKUs. They do have the resources to develop quite suitable dGPUs as long they don't do it half-arsed.

It isn't just demand driving down supplies of Intel CPUs . . . er well, to be more precise, it is demand on the wafer side of things.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
It isn't just demand driving down supplies of Intel CPUs . . . er well, to be more precise, it is demand on the wafer side of things.
Is there a general shortage of wafers now? Or is just Intel having these problems?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Is there a general shortage of wafers now? Or is just Intel having these problems?

Just Intel, so far as I know. TSMC seems to be absorbing everyone's orders right now without skipping a beat. Including some future modem orders from Intel.

Reactions: Tlh97
Mar 11, 2004
Maybe they will use the India center as a starting point. See who is talented and forward them to higher grade centers.

Although I don't see the problem with talented people staying in their own country if the pay is decent. I mean it's not everything about money. There are higher qualities in life.

Yeah, there's nothing stopping Intel from using it as a lure. "Come work for us, if you're good, we'll get you to the US."

Plus with the sentiment towards immigration of the current US administration (which I think people are overlooking), its probably better than trying to hope to get enough Visas to get those workers over here. They can offer a bridge, where they can probably offer them better wages (than is typical there, but probably less than they'd get in the US - which is the benefit for the companies) and learn how to work for Westernized companies.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000

Time will tell. Look I use to buy intel all day long, and intel should have come out with multi core cpu's (8/16/32/64) a LONG time ago. Instead, they rode the quad core as far as they could till someone started upping the game. Now I have a 16 core thread ripper....Because Intel couldn't produce.

That being said, they still can't even get a 10nm chip to be built, and the shortage? AMD doesn't seem to be having any shortage, because.......They are making a lot more than intel. I think it was either a marketing ploy or a poor decision on their end. Either way, who cares, it doesn't sound good for them.

Wait a few years, and let's look at the data... Esp, when AMD pulls out a 7nm 64 core cpu in second half of 2019.

Oh, but that's right...we were talking about GPU's... Intel iGPU sucks... Period. But, with Intels record, they talk a big talk but never seem to produce much.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
GPU guys shouldn't look forward to Intel discrete graphics. The driver utility is featureless. It's like how they treat HD Audio. Yea they are "on" but that's it.

Nvidia gets all the flak with their RTX, but their software and driver teams are brilliant. No area in computing gets the attention GPU drivers do.