Intel gen 1 80GB SSD vs Samsung gen 5 SSD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Well, recently picked up one of the Samsung 64GB MLC drives (found a new system pull on eBay for a pretty good price). Probably won't run a lot of synthetic benches on it, but will let you guys know how it does with normal use and if it exhibits any stuttering. :)

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: RU482
Samsung MLC SSD
Random Write 4KB : 4.555 MB/s

Intel MLC SSD
Random Write 4KB : 33.68 MB/s

These are the results to focus on from the crystaldisk benches. Random write 4K blocks.

If you boost the test file size from default 100MB to a larger value the "stutter" issue (if any exist for the drives in question) will become more apparent as you will begin to outpace the cache buffer/flush capability of the drives.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
My ATTO comparison of Intel and Samsungs newest MLC SSDs IntelvsSamsungMLCSSD.JPG HD Tach graph comparison IntelvsSamsungMLCSSD_HDtach.JPG

Buddy, your Intel X25-M is limited by your SATA connection. It's running on SATA-150 mode.

Look at my results:
http://img229.imageshack.us/my.php?image=x25mcdmnj1.jpg

Sequential Read : 243.5 MB/s
Sequential Write : 66.50 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 201.2 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 70.95 MB/s
Random Read 4KB : 22.11 MB/s
Random Write 4KB : 39.00 MB/s
Test Size : 100 MB

The prices I quoted were for an MLC Samsung drive and an MLC Intel Drive (X25-M) Also notice the power consumption difference on the labels of the two drives: Samsung MLC: 0.2A @ 5V (1W) Intel MLC: 1A @ 5V (5W)

The Intel drive is the best drive in terms of power consumption. It's real world battery life tests show 30 min to 1 hour advantage while the other SSDs don't.

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Originally posted by: frostedflakes
Well, recently picked up one of the Samsung 64GB MLC drives (found a new system pull on eBay for a pretty good price). Probably won't run a lot of synthetic benches on it, but will let you guys know how it does with normal use and if it exhibits any stuttering. :)
To update, installed XP on the drive and it runs like a champ. Doesn't stutter like the Patriot Warp I tried a few months back, seems Samsung has addressed the random write issues with these MLC drives.

Feels faster than the HDD I was using, but it was an older model (Samsung 160GB), it's not like I'm comparing it to a VelociRaptor or anything like that. For what I paid, I'm very happy. :)

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Also notice the power consumption difference on the labels of the two drives: Samsung MLC: 0.2A @ 5V (1W) Intel MLC: 1A @ 5V (5W)
Bolded for clarity. It is not about what the label says, it is about actual performance.