Discussion Intel current and future Lakes & Rapids thread

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

R0H1T

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2013
Isn't Intel working on a complete revamp of X86 for post tiger lake chips? I read some new stories about it dated from last year. Supposedly leaner, faster and all that kind of stuff.
So Atom 3.0 gen1 :D

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
CFL-S should be the best gaming CPU of this year, IMHO. Sky-X is awesome and I'm getting it, but CFL-S should be the best balance of threads/platform features/per-core perf.

I think it could be a beast of a gaming CPU. Mainstream prices (hopefully), 6 high frequency cores, and probably some pretty good overclocking potential. Delicious.

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
No worries. I don't believe the post-Tiger CPU codename has been leaked publicly yet.

CFL-S should be the best gaming CPU of this year, IMHO. Sky-X is awesome and I'm getting it, but CFL-S should be the best balance of threads/platform features/per-core perf.

I think it could be a beast of a gaming CPU. Mainstream prices (hopefully), 6 high frequency cores, and probably some pretty good overclocking potential. Delicious.

...Well...?

TTL said: Im debating weather or not I drop a bomb about CL

Reactions: Arachnotronic

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I don't know what it could be other than CFL doesn't support 200 series chipsets; which we know.

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
I don't know what it could be other than CFL doesn't support 200 series chipsets; which we know.

If that's it I'll cry tears of joy (because we already knew)!

Well already know the HT part exists:

6C12T-Coffee-Lake-CPU_02.jpg

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I suppose Intel could make an i7 6C6T with 9 MB L3; and then refresh it in January with the 6C12T and 12 MB L3.

Mar 10, 2006
Welcome to my personal hell...

A bad one; it was his reply to my saying his review sealed the deal on not get getting SKL-X but CFL-S instead for my gaming rig - he said to hold off on that. My worry would be no HT on it...?

I read the post and I think it was really ambiguous or he may not have read fully. He may have meant "bomb" in a good way and was encouraging you to hold off on SKX 7800X.

I mean after all, you can't hold off on buying a CFL-S now because it's obviously not here yet! :)

I think CFL-S will be quite good, but I'm keeping tabs on that thread -- quite curious to see what he has to say if he comes out with it!

Reactions: TheF34RChannel

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
I read the post and I think it was really ambiguous or he may not have read fully. He may have meant "bomb" in a good way and was encouraging you to hold off on SKX 7800X.

I mean after all, you can't hold off on buying a CFL-S now because it's obviously not here yet! :)

I think CFL-S will be quite good, but I'm keeping tabs on that thread -- quite curious to see what he has to say if he comes out with it!

Possibly! Hope you're right and if he answers I'll let us know here.

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017

I was hoping for an answer today but I haven't got one yet. Until then I am clinging to your theory because it makes more sense (and suits me better; I need to believe in something lol).

Ha...I usually never get excited about CPUs, only GPUs... I think an ice cold beer will sort me out!

Last edited:

2blzd

May 16, 2016
Arachnotronic, whats good man, been awhile..I forgot..How you do know so much about future Intel stuff?

Also, some of these names are new to me...I guess I'm falling off my game..When I'm not in the market to upgrade, I do less reading. Is this all out there? where can I read about it?

Lets see if I got this right, from memory..

Cannonlake is the Die-Shrink of Skylake (finally)

Icelake is new arch following Cannonlake (formally a tock)

Tiger is a shrink to Icelake (formally a tick)

And Cascade Lake seems to basically be Kabylake for servers (as in it's an optimized core of Skylake in PAO), yea?

witeken

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2013
Arachnotronic, whats good man, been awhile..I forgot..How you do know so much about future Intel stuff?

Also, some of these names are new to me...I guess I'm falling off my game..When I'm not in the market to upgrade, I do less reading. Is this all out there? where can I read about it?

And Cascade Lake seems to basically be Kabylake for servers (as in it's an optimized core of Skylake in PAO), yea?
Tigerlake is the 3rd gen 10nm client product, probably built on 10nm+.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

Cascade Lake = Skylake-SP/X on 14++
Cannonlake = Skylake shrink to 10 nm, mobile U/Y only. So nothing CPU wise, but it does have some new features on the GPU.
Icelake = new uarch on 10+ (although don't expect much CPU-wise)
Tigerlake = Icelake on 10++, Server first

Reactions: 2blzd

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Cascade Lake = Skylake-SP/X on 14++
Cannonlake = Skylake shrink to 10 nm, mobile U/Y only. So nothing CPU wise, but it does have some new features on the GPU.
Icelake = new uarch on 10+ (although don't expect much CPU-wise)
Tigerlake = Icelake on 10++, Server first

That what I thought. Everything seems to be a bit bananas since 10nm kind of cratered.

Reactions: 2blzd

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I think technically Coffee Lake is a die shrink of Kaby Lake. There are not a lot of differences from SL to KL, but there are differences.

EDIT: Coffee not Cannon...but that makes no sense. I need a nap.

Remember that Intel already demoed a 10nm Cannon Lake CPU early this year, and that Intel's 10nm is more like everyone else's 7nm.

I think Intel might surprise us.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drazick

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I think technically Cannon Lake is a die shrink of Kaby Lake. There are not a lot of differences from SL to KL, but there are differences.

Remember that Intel already demoed a 10nm Cannon Lake CPU early this year, and that Intel's 10nm is more like everyone else's 7nm.

I think Intel might surprise us.

Well, that would be the biggest effort at sandbagging of all time for Intel if true. So much noise about poor yields out there that I highly doubt we'll see CNL-S.