Discussion Intel current and future Lakes & Rapids thread

Page 681 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
I suppose it's possible that the UPI bug is some sort of data leakage.
If it's truly about security(might not take Intel at their word) it could be a bad/botched CXL implementation at the silicon level. That could explain as to why the Super Computer that was supposed to have been released months ago is not ready yet. Also a combination of Faulty UPI and CXL would prevent the Super Computer to glue all of the computer blade on a Coherent Single System Image.

Last edited:

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
If it's truly about security(might not take Intel at their word) it could be a bad/botched CXL implementation at the silicon level. That could explain as to why the Super Computer that was supposed to have been released months ago is not ready yet. Also a combination of Faulty UPI and CXL would prevent the Super Computer to glue all of the computer blade on a Coherent Single System Image.
IIRC, Ponte Vecchio dropped CXL support a while back, so that can't be the issue. And Intel's not even supporting CXL.mem period. AMD might well beat Intel in both timing and scope of CXL support, which is particularly pathetic given Intel invented it.

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
IIRC, Ponte Vecchio dropped CXL support a while back, so that can't be the issue. And Intel's not even supporting CXL.mem period. AMD might well beat Intel in both timing and scope of CXL support, which is particularly pathetic given Intel invented it.
When did they drop Support for CXL? As far as I am aware they still Support CXL

Genoa will have full support for CXL as well.

Last edited:

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
You asking about PVC or SPR?
Sapphire Rapids, I was mentioning that if there was an issue/bug in silicon that was a security risk, it's likely CXL or a combination of CXL and UPI. CXL could be a security risk if not implemented properly

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
Sapphire Rapids, I was mentioning that if there was an issue/bug in silicon that was a security risk, it's likely CXL or a combination of CXL and UPI. CXL could be a security risk if not implemented properly at silicon level.

Naturally it was our expectation that all CXL 1.1 devices would support all three of these standards. It wasn’t until Hot Chips, several days later, that we learned Sapphire Rapids is only supporting part of the CXL standard, specifically CXL.io and CXL.cache, but CXL.memory would not be part of SPR. We're not sure to what extent this means SPR isn't CXL 1.1 compliant, or what it means for CXL 1.1 devices - without CXL.mem, as per the diagram above, all Intel loses is Type-2 support. Perhaps this is more of an indication that the market around CXL is better served by CXL 2.0, which will no doubt come in a later product.

Reactions: lightmanek

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
With help from Cadence a few FPGs and simulation environment, Intel was able to confirm that CXL 2.0 will have no issue working with their current implementation.

Through simulation, Intel could ensure backward compatibility against its existing CXL 1.1 solutions,” Krishnamurthy said.

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
The pun was intended, if that's what you meant.

lol okay. Thought so.

That's just it, in the Q&A Intel admitted the bulk of SPR contribution will be in 2023.

So it'll be like IceLake-SP all over again. It's probably that UPI bug killing performance in a lot of applications. Those E3-stepping QS leaks are probably true. Sapphire Rapids is dead, market-wise. Too little too late.

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
So it'll be like IceLake-SP all over again. It's probably that UPI bug killing performance in a lot of applications. Those E3-stepping QS leaks are probably true. Sapphire Rapids is dead, market-wise. Too little too late.
AMD ironed out many of the issues with ccx and numa domains way back on Zen1 and Zen1+ and is just sailing away now with Zen3 and Zen4... But Intel is in the worst possible time to do that for a MCM that needs to look like Monolithic Die.

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
AMD ironed out many of the issues with ccx and numa domains way back on Zen1 and Zen1+ and is just sailing away now with Zen3 and Zen4... But Intel is in the worst possible time to do that for a MCM that needs to look like Monolithic Die.
Shouldn't be a huge issue. They've had SNC for years, and die-to-die latency should be much shorter than a SERDES solution.

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
Intel will be integrating their VPU for Meteor Lake

How would that compare to Xilinx AI engine on AMD APUs on 2023?

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
Intel will be integrating their VPU for Meteor Lake

How would that compare to Xilinx AI engine on AMD APUs on 2023?
Too many variables right now. Configs, workloads, software support, etc. AMD will have a distinct process advantage, if nothing else.

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
Too many variables right now. Configs, workloads, software support, etc. AMD will have a distinct process advantage, if nothing else.
Some say that Intel VPU is like Nvidia Tensor Cores, but so far what I have read about each. they don't seem comparable.

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
Some say that Intel VPU is like Nvidia Tensor Cores, but so far what I have read about each. they don't seem comparable.
Architectures are probably different, but they're both going to be used for ML inference in the same market, so it'll make sense to compare them. I think software will end up being the big question though, if Android is anything to go by.

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
Architectures are probably different, but they're both going to be used for ML inference in the same market, so it'll make sense to compare them. I think software will end up being the big question though, if Android is anything to go by.

There was a comparison of NVIDIA Tensor Cores(GPU) and Intel VPU for ML Inference and this one of the points made.

"The difference between these two accelerators can also be noticed on the side of the programming process. In many cases the implementation of an application which uses GPU does not require any special knowledge about the accelerator itself. Most of the AI frameworks provide a built-in support for GPU computing (both training and interference) out of the box. In Movidius case, however, it is required to gain knowledge about its SDK as well"

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
There was a comparison of NVIDIA Tensor Cores(GPU) and Intel VPU for ML Inference and this one of the points made.

"The difference between these two accelerators can also be noticed on the side of the programming process. In many cases the implementation of an application which uses GPU does not require any special knowledge about the accelerator itself. Most of the AI frameworks provide a built-in support for GPU computing (both training and interference) out of the box. In Movidius case, however, it is required to gain knowledge about its SDK as well"

The main benchmark will probably be how both interact with the WinML API. Most developers aren't going to target vendor-specific accelerators. Though I imagine we'll see some high profile demos with e.g. Adobe.

Edit: I guess they could maybe get away with using oneAPI or ROCm (does ROCm support non-GPU architectures?) for more arch-specific support.

Jul 27, 2020
I was wondering and apologies if this has been discussed before: is Alder Lake as we know it today, a direct result of the original Zen launch? It takes maybe 3 to 4 years from designing the architecture to the CPU shipping so does that mean Intel's engineers predicted correctly how powerful Zen might turn out to be in future iterations and hurriedly went with the area-efficient core design to ensure they could still be competitive with AMD despite a process disadvantage? Or is there any indication that ADL was put together even later, like maybe 2018 and rushed through everything that a CPU normally has to pass through?

pakotlar

Aug 22, 2003
I was wondering and apologies if this has been discussed before: is Alder Lake as we know it today, a direct result of the original Zen launch? It takes maybe 3 to 4 years from designing the architecture to the CPU shipping so does that mean Intel's engineers predicted correctly how powerful Zen might turn out to be in future iterations and hurriedly went with the area-efficient core design to ensure they could still be competitive with AMD despite a process disadvantage? Or is there any indication that ADL was put together even later, like maybe 2018 and rushed through everything that a CPU normally has to pass through?

No one knows, and I’d be really interested in reading an insider telling of it.

shady28

Platinum Member
Apr 11, 2004

I'm pretty sure Intel has had multiple architectures essentially done for years. They simply didn't have the process nodes ready to deliver, or more accurately the executives prior to Gelsinger were not ready to spend the capital to move to improved nodes. This is why they've been able to push out 3 new chips with 3 different architectures in two years - Gen 10 (Skylake +++), Gen 11 desktop (Ice Lake on 14nm), Tiger Lake (Ice Lake + with Xe iGPU), and Gen 12 (Alder Lake).

As example, Jim Keller left Intel in 2020 and his main contributions appear to be to Arrow Lake (15th gen) and Lunar Lake (16th Gen). So we won't even see 15th gen until 2024, 4 years after he left, two years from now. These are the two, it is speculated (worse than rumor), may double Intel's IPC.

If that happens, admittedly a big if, we may be seeing a rehash of Intel 2008-2011 when Intel went from Core, to Core 2, to Nehalem, to Sandy Bridge. AMD was competitive with Athlon II vs Core 2 and Phenom vs Nehalem, but AMD lost it when Sandy Bridge came out vs AMD FX. Intel also lost money in 2009. The parallel is there, but the last half of the story has yet to be written.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
I'm pretty sure Intel has had multiple architectures essentially done for years. They simply didn't have the process nodes ready to deliver, or more accurately the executives prior to Gelsinger were not ready to spend the capital to move to improved nodes. This is why they've been able to push out 3 new chips with 3 different architectures in two years - Gen 10 (Skylake +++), Gen 11 desktop (Ice Lake on 14nm), Tiger Lake (Ice Lake + with Xe iGPU), and Gen 12 (Alder Lake).

As example, Jim Keller left Intel in 2020 and his main contributions appear to be to Arrow Lake (15th gen) and Lunar Lake (16th Gen). So we won't even see 15th gen until 2024, 4 years after he left, two years from now. These are the two, it is speculated (worse than rumor), may double Intel's IPC.

If that happens, admittedly a big if, we may be seeing a rehash of Intel 2008-2011 when Intel went from Core, to Core 2, to Nehalem, to Sandy Bridge. AMD was competitive with Athlon II vs Core 2 and Phenom vs Nehalem, but AMD lost it when Sandy Bridge came out vs AMD FX. Intel also lost money in 2009. The parallel is there, but the last half of the story has yet to be written.

Speculated by who? I don't see that being realistic at all. The only reason we saw such IPC increases from Pentium D --> Core 2 and FX --> Zen was because the previous architecture in both cases were power hungry "Speed Demons" with low IPC and generally thought of as some of the weakest CPU's in both company's history.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
Nova Lake was rumored to come with a big architectural change and up to 50% CPU performance improvement over Lunar Lake , it's not Arrow/Lunar.

shady28

Platinum Member
Apr 11, 2004
Nova Lake was rumored to come with a big architectural change and up to 50% CPU performance improvement over Lunar Lake , it's not Arrow/Lunar.

Arrow Lake will be the architectural update to Meteor Lake in the 'tick-tock' sense, as they will both be on Intel 4 and both be using the same socket. The "Royal Core" enhancements Keller worked on are supposed to debut with Arrow Lake, though it is supposedly a 'lite' version. The full fat Royal Core is supposed to come with Gen 16/17 Lunar and Nova.

Personally IDC, I'm going to go for a Raptor Lake build as it's the last of the truly monolithic non-tiled single node designs. I have a feeling it's going to be the best at some things (like those requiring low latency memory) for a very, very long time.