Question Intel Core i9-10920X 12-Core Cascade Lake-X CPU Leaks As AMD Plots November Threadripper Assault

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
The Athlon MP chips were pretty sweet back in the day -- but as far as a good solid server platform -- no. They were just a pair of Athlon/AthlonXP chips strapped together, which was nice but there was a lot of infrastructure that they didn't have yet.

The Athlon 64 changed a lot of that, though and the original Opterons were great -- smoked P4's all day but couldn't really hang with the Core2 and the Xeon versions of it, so AMD didn't really have enough time to shine in the server space to make a huge impact. This time it really looks like Zen will have some staying power and OEM's are getting serious about it too. Epyc 1st gen was a good "proof" product to show that they can build the parts and maintain an ecosystem, and now Zen2/Epyc2 will really be the hard hitter.
Exactly. The early opterons smoked the P4 Xeons, but nobody at my company would buy them. 'We only buy real CPUs. Intel", They took half the power and half the heat, and a little better performance, but that was not good enough.

Reactions: Drazick

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
24 lane PCIe 4 > 44 lane PCIe 3

Couldn't resist. ;)
And even if not, there are hundreds of 2950X results that beat this GB4 score. So:

64 PCIe 3 lanes > 44 PCIe 3 lanes
2950X GB4 > 10900X GB4

So unless this 10900X is priced <$650 I can't see where this would be enticing even over 2nd gen TR.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
The 10900X and 10920X will probably be less than $650.

I am honestly not holding my breathe on this either....
As much as i am Pro Intel, im also Pro AMD, but lately i have no idea what the hell Intel is doing lately.

At least they have awesome prices on NVMe's.... where else are u going to pick up a 2TB NVMe for under 190 dollars? :T
Slap 4 of them on a 4 nvme card with bifurification card, and u got a pretty nasty 8TB raid card for under 1000 dollars.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I am honestly not holding my breathe on this either....
As much as i am Pro Intel, im also Pro AMD, but lately i have no idea what the hell Intel is doing lately.
Yea, Intel still seems to think they can do nothing bad, and I think they will price these way out of range, considering they are garbage compared to Zen 3000, let alone what we know is that Threadripper 3000 will be killer.

The expression curbstomping Intel is going to pre prevalent for at least a year. Right now its true about desktop and server (Rome), and their HEDT is almost already EOL by the likes of 3900x/3950x The only area that they even have a chance might be laptop. (I have not been following that much). But I don''t think that will keep them relevant until they bring some other product to the table that is worth buying.

Reactions: Drazick

JasonLD

Aug 22, 2017
Yea, Intel still seems to think they can do nothing bad, and I think they will price these way out of range, considering they are garbage compared to Zen 3000, let alone what we know is that Threadripper 3000 will be killer.

The expression curbstomping Intel is going to pre prevalent for at least a year. Right now its true about desktop and server (Rome), and their HEDT is almost already EOL by the likes of 3900x/3950x The only area that they even have a chance might be laptop. (I have not been following that much). But I don''t think that will keep them relevant until they bring some other product to the table that is worth buying.

I don't expect Intel to drastically cut their prices on HEDT lineup simply because AMD can't supply enough CPUs to displace them. Considering it is almost impossible to find 3900x (unless you are willing to pay way over MSRP), I don't expect supply situation with 3950x and TR3 will be much better for at least 6 months after release, or until Samsung can produce enough 7nm products to reduce Industry's heavy reliance on TSMC for 7nm.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
I don't expect Intel to drastically cut their prices on HEDT lineup simply because AMD can't supply enough CPUs to displace them. Considering it is almost impossible to find 3900x

AMDs supply will have zero effect on intel pricing. Given that intel promises almost 2x performance/$, we can assume big price cuts as per core performance will be only marginally better than skylake-x.

As for the 3900x is suspect it isn't an issue with chiplets but with ordered SKUs. They simply did not order enough 3900x and hence the lack of supply. The fact they delayed 3950x is probably because they ordered even less of those and didn't want to more or less paper launch like the 3900x.

Data from mindfactory about units sold show 3700x was sold roughly 3-4 times more than 3900x yet is still easily available. This means AMD ordered at least 4 times less 3900x skus vs 3700x.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
AMDs supply will have zero effect on intel pricing. Given that intel promises almost 2x performance/$, we can assume big price cuts as per core performance will be only marginally better than skylake-x.
It's an academic point - if AMD could supply 10x the number of threadrippers, Intel would need to lower prices. As far as Intel's Cascade Lake X CPUs go, I'm sure we can expect some wonkyness in Intel's benches - so prices won't drop exactly in half (too bad). IMHO.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
TR is not supply limited. It's a niche market with tiny volume.
Oh really... So my 8 threadrippers are a tiny niche.... Lets see how many people in the DC forum agree with you.

Not to mention that you are saying that the entire HEDT line of processors from Intel and AMD are a "niche" market ?

Wake up. Or grow up, whichever applies.

Edit: And the subject of this entire thread.

Last edited:

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Oh really... So my 8 threadrippers are a tiny niche.... Lets see how many people in the DC forum agree with you.

Not to mention that you are saying that the entire HEDT line of processors from Intel and AMD are a "niche" market ?

Even before Ryzen when Intel had 100% market share in HEDT segment, HEDT cpus were only 1% of its entire volume.

lightmanek

Feb 19, 2017
I own TR and nowdays price difference to AM4 has shrunk considerably. Obviously for gaming it's not the platform of choice, but for anything more that that it's very popular.
It still can be low single % but they are selling quite well.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I don't think the 10920X will be priced that low - but, Intel's response to AMD should be interesting.
[I wonder if Intel will use a rename, like 10920X Pro - lol]

I was thinking $599. But we'll see. I do still think this is the end of the line for Intel's HEDT for awhile, and perhaps Cascade Lake-X is only being released because they promised it to OEMs.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009

According to this link based on mindfactory data TR was 2% of AMD sales, in the DIY market. So it's already niche withn DIY.

But DIY is kind of niche itself in the big picture. x86 cpus mostly end up in laptops or servers and prebuilts.

Get over it. TR is niche. It's a fact.

Reactions: Burpo and Zucker2k

Zor Prime

Golden Member
Nov 7, 1999
Edit: I was speaking 2002-2005 ish. I know what until 2017, AMD had nothing after 2006 worth buying,

Hrm ... You're going to make my Phenom X6 box cry, man. I went from that Phenom box straight to Ryzen. Held me over that long. Still performs admirably, actually.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004

As for the 3900x is suspect it isn't an issue with chiplets but with ordered SKUs. They simply did not order enough 3900x and hence the lack of supply. The fact they delayed 3950x is probably because they ordered even less of those and didn't want to more or less paper launch like the 3900x.

Data from mindfactory about units sold show 3700x was sold roughly 3-4 times more than 3900x yet is still easily available. This means AMD ordered at least 4 times less 3900x skus vs 3700x.

What do you mean by "ordered SKUs" ? I thought AMD ordered chiplets from TSMC and did the binning and assembly themselves.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
What do you mean by "ordered SKUs" ? I thought AMD ordered chiplets from TSMC and did the binning and assembly themselves.

binning and packaging also happens at some factory in probably Asia and not at AMD. AMD has to tell how many of each sku to produce, this is especially important for 3900x as it needs 2 dies.

It seems AMD simply ordered too few 3900x and not too few chiplets, at least that is what we can hope. The other option is there simply aren't enough chiplets reaching the needed clock speed.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
binning and packaging also happens at some factory in probably Asia and not at AMD. AMD has to tell how many of each sku to produce, this is especially important for 3900x as it needs 2 dies.

It seems AMD simply ordered too few 3900x and not too few chiplets, at least that is what we can hope. The other option is there simply aren't enough chiplets reaching the needed clock speed.

Thanks. AMD should have sales data from the 1st two releases on which core counts and price ranges sold the best, so I assume they based their orders on that. I saw an interview between 1000 and 2000 series where AMD mentioned the 1950X was their best selling TR by far (with Gordon Mah Ung). They didn't give any numbers, but I assume that's one of the reasons the 8-core was dropped from the 2000 series.

I'm not too happy with the 12 and 16 core apparently being dropped from the 3000 series TR, but I'll look past that if the 24-core is priced the same as the 2950X and it doesn't require a new motherboard.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001

Edit: And the subject of this entire thread.

LOL. Talk about people who need to grow up. All this "curb stomping" and childish talk. Pretty hilarious when you take into account it is smaller portion of the overall market. Plus, they expect AMD to have a whole 10% of that market segment by 2020. A whole 10%!! Intel will be closing shop by 2021. You know, that big time curb stomping "EOL" CPUs.

But you own 8 CPUs. Color us all impressed! AMD should send you a private jet to bring you to HQ in order to help them with their strategic initiatives for market dominate over Intel.

Honestly, the subject of this tread wasn't about the CPU. It's a troll post with no discussion on the chip itself. It's just a bunch of fanboys spewing negativity and not even holding an actual intelligent discussion. I'm surprised they allow such in the CPU forum. I expect it in ATOT, but here? OK!