Intel Core i7 860 Idle at 45 Degrees C?!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

coffeejunkee

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2010
That, and other usefull pieces like: how is the airflow setup in your case, how many hdd's are in there, what voltage do you use, did you disable eist/c-states, is hyperthreading still active? And is your fan spinning at 100 percent under load?

Changing my recommendation from Thermalright MUX120 (not available at newegg :\) and CM Hyper 212 (overpriced at 50$ :thumbsdown:, just get true for 60$) to XIGMATEK HDT-S1283, best cooler available for 35$. Now if only it didnt use pushpins...

Last edited:

apawk

Aug 6, 2010
We are missing a big piece of the puzzle here. One that makes all the difference in the world. What is your room temp?

The room temp in my office rises during the day .. I would say it can get up to 80-85 depending on the temp outside. I like close to Atlanta and we've been in the high 90's - low 100's lately.

apawk

Aug 6, 2010
That, and other usefull pieces like: how is the airflow setup in your case, how many hdd's are in there, what voltage do you use, did you disable eist/c-states, is hyperthreading still active? And is your fan spinning at 100 percent under load?

Changing my recommendation from Thermalright MUX120 (not available at newegg :\) and CM Hyper 212 (overpriced at 50$ :thumbsdown:, just get true for 60$) to XIGMATEK HDT-S1283, best cooler available for 35$. Now if only it didnt use pushpins...

Airflow setup in case is:
120mm in front pulling in on hd's
120mm up top pulling in on cpu/ram
120mm on rear for exhaust
A-Data ram fans on all 4 sticks
XFX HD 4870 fan

HD Temps are (as of this second) HD1-33c HD2-32c
System Temp as of now is 52c

As far as voltage are you speaking of Vcore?

If so Vcore is at 1.232

coffeejunkee

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2010
Ok, so thats a pretty high roomtemp. Sorry for using celsius:

Concerning airflow, I would change the 120mm top fan to exhaust. Heat rises and I have found that more outtake than intake works best.

Yes, i meant vcore indeed, but qpi/vtt voltage (what used to be the northbridge, simply speaking) is usefull as well (only if you changed it obviously, which might not have been necessary for your modest oc). 1.232 seems a bit high for 3.15GHz. With that voltage my i5 750 can reach around 3.5GHz. Temps reach a max of 65 degrees after 5 runs of Linx, but i have a better cooler than you with a 120mm fan at 1200rpm. And obviously no hyperthreading, which causes extra heat.

Measured at a roomtemp of 22 degrees celsius. 1 140mm intake at 650rpm, 1 120mm outtake at 1000rpm. 4 HDD's around 37-38 degrees, 2 sticks of ram. So considering your fairly high roomtemp and higher vcore i would say your temps arent that bad at all. Unless maybe your cpu fan is spinning at 3000rpm, but that would only bother the ear.

Concerning idle temps, with the cpu fan at 600rpm and after leaving the pc idle for something like 15 minutes, cores are around 25-28 but i have eist and c-states enabled so the voltage drops to around 0.9V. If you disabled these it would be logical to see higher idle temps. If you use the auto vcore setting your mobo will probably also give a little more power than strictly necessary.

All in all, your temps are not really low, but not really high either i would say. Also, these new core i cpu's tend to get a little hot. At 4GHz i've seen temps of 90 degrees but i had to use a fairly substantial 1.4 vcore. Thermal throttling only happens at 100 degrees core temp (at this point tcase is the Intel specified max 72.7) But first see what happens when you set the top fan to outtake.

apawk

Aug 6, 2010
So you think i should set the top fan as exhaust as well?? That makes sense ... my intake in front is the only real "cold" air intake as my pc is in a box in my desk and that's the only intake fan that sees fresh air.... i am guessing the top 120mm fan is jsut recirculating the warm air that my exhaust is throwing out ...

Side note: The entire side of my case is mesh grille ...

Another side not:
I haven't jumped into the "big boy" overclock .. I am using the Smart 6 that came with my gigabyte mobo. Would you recommend a manual overclock instead of the "out of the box" oc that gigabye supplies?

Last edited:

coffeejunkee

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2010
as my pc is in a box in my desk

Stuff like this is also fairly essential to mention when talking temps ;)

Combined with your high room temps and probably not optimally tuned overclock i'm beginning to think your temps are actually quite good. But I would definately try reversing the top fan. And try to make some kind of hole in the back of the box so hot air doesnt circulate.

I prefer doing overclocking in bios, I wasn't too impressed with EasyTune. But I can understand if you can't be bothered. What I would check for sure is if your vcore drops in idle. If not enable EIST, C1E and C3/C6 in bios under advanced cpu features.

Last edited:

apawk

Aug 6, 2010
Stuff like this is also fairly essential to mention when talking temps ;)

True .. Should have mentioned that earlier ...

Combined with your high room temps and probably not optimally tuned overclock i'm beginning to think your temps are actually quite good. But I would definately try reversing the top fan. And try to make some kind of hole in the back of the box so hot air doesnt circulate.

I will be working from home on Friday so Thursday night I will check out all the fans and reverse the top .. Now that I think about it ... I believe the 120 on the back is pulling in as well ... i think the only exhaust i have is on the ps.. Ill check thurs and let you guys know

I prefer doing overclocking in bios, I wasn't too impressed with EasyTune. But I can understand if you can't be bothered. What I would check for sure is if your vcore drops in idle. If not enable EIST, C1E and C3/C6 in bios under advanced cpu features.

I am capable of doing everything in bios ... new job 60 miles away has taken some time away from doing what i want to my pc. I am working from home Friday so Thursday night I will undo the easytune and oc in bios.. Although .. I will have to look up what teh EIST and C1E are .. as well as C3 and C6... I think i can do it. Wish me luck .. and if i get stuck .. i will be posting in here to get you guys's expert opinions ;)

coffeejunkee

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2010
EIST and C-states are your cpu's energysaving features. With these enabled idle temps will be substantially lower. They're all conveniently grouped under M.I.T > advanced frequency settings > advanced cpu core features. Set everything to enabled (and cores to 'all'), except turbo*.

Next go to advanced voltage setting and set vcore to 'normal' if it isn't already. This will make sure your cpu always uses it's designated vid values. 'Auto' doesn't work, your mobo will overvolt when you increase the bclk.

With your small oc i doubt it, but you might need to increase vcore a bit. Use the dynamic vcore setting for this. (if you dont have the dvid setting you'll need a bios update, use q-flash for this, not @bios, i repeat DO NOT use @bios).

* if you want I could give some tips on overclocking with turbo enabled.

Last edited:

apawk

Aug 6, 2010
* if you want I could give some tips on overclocking with turbo enabled.

Thanks Coffee.. I may need some help in general .. I will do my research and get my ducks in a row before i start whacking away in the bios, but yes sir, any help is always appreciated.

apawk

Aug 6, 2010
Ok ... so i reversed the 120 fan on the back to make it an exhaust fan .. I also reversed the 120 on the top to make it exhaust as well.. My idles went form 36-38 to 41 :-( I did notice however that the 120 fan up top does not move much air at all ... I think i am going to order 2 quiet 120s that move more air for the top (there are 2 spots and only one is occupied) .... Should I make these 2 120s up top exhaust or intake? The only intake i have as of now is the 120 in front pulling air in over the HDs. The rest are now exhaust.

Side note .. I am installing my VelocaRaptor tomorrow which will fill up my 3 bay HD tray .. thus blocking more air pulling in from the 120 on front...

coffeejunkee

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2010
Sorry for the delay, had to do some more stability testing on turbo boost overclocking. If i'm gonna give tips better give good ones. Here's a whole thread dedicated to turbo oc-ing: http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/689255-stable-dynamic-overclocking-i5-750-a.html#post8768335

I set up my own turbo overclock and tested for stability with Linx on 4 cores. 20 runs stable with +0.05 vcore (for a total of 1.325) and 1.17 vtt. Happy about this, I used this oc for a couple of months without any problems. Back then, I used superpi 32m run for stability test on 1 core, which ran flawless. Turbo boost works on the principle of distributing spare power from deactivated cores to the active one(s), so I thought this would still apply when overclocked. Apparently it doesn't.

Dont know what was going through my mind (not much apparently), because instead of superpi I could have also just used Linx set to run using 1 thread. Which is what I did recently and which made my oc fail fairly horribly. Had to apply +0.125 vcore (for a total of 1.4) and 1.17 vtt to finish Linx without errors. Which is almost the same I need for running 3.8 GHz at 181x21 (except 1.19 vtt). So basically I'm not that convinced anymore about using turbo-overclocking.

Now I'm wondering how many of the overclocks in the above mentioned thread would pass Linx 1 thread run. My guess: most won't. On the other hand, like I mentioned, no issues what so ever in daily use. But can't really advise it while still adhering to my Linx standard. It must be noted though i've ran cpu's overclocked for years based on hours of Prime95 stability testing. I'm pretty sure those overclocks would crumble under 5 runs Linx.

Anyways, I can't really advise to do turbo-overclocking, but here's what you should shoot for instead imho:
In bios, go to advanced core features, disable turbo mode and enable all other features (if they aren't already).
Next go back to advanced cpu settings screen, set cpu multi to x20, qpi ratio to x32, memory ratio to x8, pci-e to 100 and finally bclk to 166.
Then go to advanced voltage settings and set every voltage to the 'normal' value (this will make sure your cpu sticks to stock voltages while oc-ing)

Reboot and test for stability using Linx 0.6.8, 5 runs with all memory should suffice, 20 if you want to be really sure (check temps closely, Linx can make your cpu really really hot). In case of errors, increase vcore a little by means of the dynamic vcore setting (choosing a value here will in- or decrease vcore with that amount. You have to set it like this to make sure vcore drops in idle). I don't think this will be necessary though since my 750 was stable using stock voltages (HT could have a negative impact though).

Considering your airflow, I was a little surprised setting to outtake had a negative effect on temps. It's my experience that more out- than intake is always better. My assumption is that the enclosure is interfering. Have you tried with your pc out in the open?

Last edited:

apawk

Aug 6, 2010
Thanks CoffeeJunkee

I tried all the above and sitting at 3.4 oc. Temps are steady at 48-50 idle. You think the stock cooler would do just as well as this aftermarket i poster in earlier thread?

coffeejunkee

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2010
You're using an Arctic Freezer Pro right? That should be infinitely better than the Intel stock cooler. (ok, that's exaggerating, but it's really bad). Your idle temps are high, but considering the circumstances could be worse i guess. Load temps would be more interesting. Maybe you should first try and see what temps are at stock speed to get a baseline idea.

coffeejunkee

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2010
In addition to that it wasn't properly mounted and he repeatedly reseated the hsf without applying new thermal paste. But yes, stock cooler is little pos.

But since his problems were solved I saw no harm in going a bit offtopic and try and help out apawk.