Intel Core i7 2600 overheating while playing.

Martin Shwiff Garber

Apr 21, 2017
Hello everybody!

This is my first post in this community. Lately, I've noticed that while I was playing some games (Smite, Paladins, Guild Wars 2, Ark) my CPU temperature usually reaches temperatures about 80-85ºC and I'm worried about it.

Here are the specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600 @ 3.40 GHz Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM: 16,0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668 MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8P67 (LGA1155)
Graphics: V223HQ (1920x1080 @ 60 Hz) 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 (ASUSTeK Computer Inc)
Storage: 931GB Western Digital WDC WD10 02FAEX-00Z3A0 SCSI Disk Device (SATA).

While the computer is idle the temperature is around 38-40ºC.

Thanks in advance for your help.

AMDisTheBEST

Dec 17, 2015
Your CPU is old so I presume your pc is old and so I presume your cooling fan and heat sinks are full of dust. The thermal paste should be deteroting quite badly too. My sussgestion is to dedust and reapplied thermal past on the CPU. Or get a new modern processor with lower tdp. *Cough ryzen *cough

Last edited:

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
If you're happy with the PC otherwise, no need to spend $500 on a new CPU, mobo and RAM.

You can clean the dust out of your case and off of the CPU heatsink then see if that's enough. If not, a third-party cooler with 92 - 120mm fan and fresh thermal paste will make a huge difference, though it usually means taking the motherboard out of the case to mount the backplate under the motherboard.

I did that a year ago with my i5-2500 and it dropped the temps while making it run much quieter. I used a 92mm ARCTIC Freezer i11 for $22 from Amazon. Be sure your case has room for it before buying a new cooler.

Reactions: Magic Hate Ball

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
His PC is fine. Your temps are bit high, but still acceptable. Buy some canned air. Take your computer outside, open the side panels and blow out the whole thing, especially the CPU heatsink, PSU and any fans. See recheck your temps. If they are still high, check you case airflow - can you feel the air flow? If not, you may need more/higher performance case fans. Lastly, if your temps are still high - you may need to re-apply thermal paste between the heatsink and your CPU (if you are comfortable with that).

Enjoy your stay at ATF :)

Ratman6161

Mar 21, 2008
What they said, clean heatsink reapply tim and call it a day.
X2. I just decommissioned a 2600K that had been overclocked to 4.2 Ghz for about 6 years. It idled at about 32C. Completely disassembling my system for the first time in about 4 years was a revelation. I was using a Corsair H55 liquid cooler with two fans in a push pull configuration at very low speed. I had the fans on the radiator drawing outside air into the case. When I removed those fans, the side of the radiator facing the outside of the case was completely caked in a combination of dust and cat hair. I must have been getting next to zero air flow through that radiator. Funny but the system still ran cool. But I'm thinking with an air cooler, that much dust in there would be certain to cause a problem. I was absolutely amazed that I had had no overheating problems. Wish I had thought to take a picture of it before I took the vacuum cleaner to it.:)

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
An inexpensive option, since you are obviously not overclocking your i7-2600. (Period.) -- suggested with this link:

CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO, + et al

Addressing the dust problem: DEMCiFlex of South Africa (direct shipment is reasonable!)

You can also build your own filters, with the right type of screen material. A surgical mesh material is better than traditional metal screens. But the DEMCiFlex offerings extend even to generic sizes and shapes of filters that have broad application. To supplement their magnetic filters, you can buy a roll of 2mm-thick adhesive magnetic tape for about $4.00 at the Home Depot or other hardware stores.