Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 motherboard replacement

Dethoff

Jul 16, 2000
Hi,

I had cobbled together a system for a relative who had been using it for light tasks such as web surfing and kids online games. All was well until the motherboard died.

I am now facing the decision as to whether I should replace just the motherboard (775 socket old technology) and RAM or buy a new CPU/mobo/RAM combo. I figured I can do it a bit cheaper by using the Q6600 processor which was plenty fast for their needs. I have no interest in overclocking! I will probably consider installing Windows 7 if that makes any difference.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4 GHz LGA 775 processor
ATI Raedon HD 5600
Crucial Ballistix 2 GB (2x 1GB) 240 pin DDR2 SDRAM 800 (needs 2.1 v)
Abit IP pro 35
Win XP

Opinions or specific suggestions are welcomed..

Thanks

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
You sure the mobo died? Those Ballistix memories were infamous for failing. I had a set fail on me.

Try getting some new RAM, and if the mobo is truely toast, then pick up another one. The Gigabyte G31M-ES2L is cheap enough.

Dethoff

Jul 16, 2000
Virtual Larry,

I appreciate your reply and you could be right, but frankly I have had it with this motherboard. I have wasted too much time already trying to troubleshoot it. There was also a history of flakiness in a totally different build.

But to humor both of us, let me explained what happened.

There was a questionable power surge, after which, the mouse stopped working. After replacement of the mouse... all was OK again for a few days. Then one day it just failed to boot, hanging on error code 84 (DDR voltage ready).

The power supply was questionable (old) so I replaced that figuring I would need a new one either way. It did't fix the motherboard hanging.

I did the usual clear CMOS, remove all extra stuff, try memory separately in all combinations (got it to work once this way but couldn't reproduce).

After hours of searching online, the consensus of others with this problem seemed to suggest...ditch the board and move on.

I would love for it to be as simple as getting new memory, but I don't want to throw good money after bad. I do have some compatible memory from another system which is "mission critical". I hate to pull the ram. I was afraid if the board was bad it could somehow wreck that memory.

Ideas?

Dethoff

Jul 16, 2000
VL,

I checked out the mobo you recommended. It is a micro ATX form factor.

In my early search for replacement boards, I just assumed I wanted a full ATX board. The case is roomy and had that type board in it before.

Should I reconsider?

Thx

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
There's nothing particularly wrong with a micro-ATX board. I admit, I prefer "deluxe" full-atx boards myself, but there seems to be a dwindling supply of those types of boards in S775 format.

I've used that Gigabyte G31 board in multiple builds I've done for people, and it's a pretty trouble-free board.

The only thing that would concern me, is that I think it only has 4-phase CPU power, which means that a power-hungry CPU like a Q6600 would likely strain it if you were to overclock. At stock speeds, you would probably be OK for a number of years with that board.

My builds with that board were all with E5200 chips, overclocked slightly from 2.5 to 3.0, which is possible with normal DDR2-800 memory on those boards. (It does have overclocking options, although the memory multipliers with 800-FSB chips are limited.)

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I would recommend the Gigabyte G41MT-D3 if you want DDR3 support.

mvbighead

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2009
If you already have warranted DDR2 RAM, and a 775 processor... there is no reason not to just stick with it if your relative is happy with it.

Something like this would be perfectly fine:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-173-_-Product

As for speed, it's a friggin quad core being used for web browsing... I think they ought to be plenty happy with it. If they need more speed, throw in an SSD and call it a day.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
You could probably just get a $100 Zacate board with $40 worth of RAM and call it a day.

Then one day it just failed to boot, hanging on error code 84 (DDR voltage ready).

Sounds like possibility of a memory problem. As VirtualLarry said, DDR2 Ballistix were infamous for dying. I've had a few dead kits myself.

suprised to see gigabyte offers a value chipset that supports expensive ddr3 !

LOL whut? Next thing... you might claim that notebook memory costs more than desktop memory.

Dethoff

Jul 16, 2000
Thanks for all that replied.

I tried some different memory which did not solve the problem.

I finally decided to scrap the processor, RAM and mobo in favor of a combo deal on newegg...

AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor and

BIOSTAR TA870U3+ AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

I still believe that the old Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 is good and has life. After I get this build together and back in their hands, I might still try putting together another computer using the processor and one of the inexpensive boards which you have recommended.

Thanks again to all

JD

pcunite

Nov 15, 2007
I'm using a Q6600 right now. With VMWare, Outlook 2007, surfing, you name it it is one kickin processor! I do have an SSD so that helps with spend on everything. The board I'm using is the Asus P5K-E.

Ratman6161

Mar 21, 2008
I'm using a Q6600 right now. With VMWare, Outlook 2007, surfing, you name it it is one kickin processor! I do have an SSD so that helps with spend on everything. The board I'm using is the Asus P5K-E.

yea, the Q6600 is still a great CPU. Today is mine's last day as my primary desktop system (the box from NewEgg with my Z68 board and new ram arrives tomorrow and I already have a 2600K from Microcenter) but it will live on as a VMware ESXi server for years to come. In fact, as my ESXi system its going to replace an Athlon 64x2 4400 - which is actually still quite a good CPU too!

Feb 25, 2011
Same thing happened to me a bit over a year ago. I ended up with an Asus P5N-D, since it was the only S775 board with an nVidia chipset that Microcenter had. (I was looking to stay in the same chipset family, hoping I wouldn't have to rebuild my RAID 0 array and reinstall Windows. I didn't. w@@t!)

pcmax

Jun 17, 2001
I second any of the G31 boards, have had very good luck with them. Some hit and miss with Gigabyte G41's though, getting ready to stick my Q6600 back on an RMA one.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
DIMM slots flaked out on my IP35 too. Replaced it with some Gigabyte one, can't remember. I've put Gigabyte boards in everyone's computers the last few years, haven't had any problems.