Discussion Intel current and future Lakes & Rapids thread

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
I think technically Cannon Lake is a die shrink of Kaby Lake. There are not a lot of differences from SL to KL, but there are differences.

Cannonlake is not a shrink of Kabylake. This is confirmed because Intel already confirmed that Cannonlake comes with Gen10 graphics. That rules out a shrink of Kabylake.

2blzd

May 16, 2016
edit: Nevermind..I misread what you said...yea CNL is technically a shrink of KBL now...

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
@Arachnotronic don't think the beans will be spilled or they would have been by now.

On the other hand he did say I was just reading into what he said and imagining things. So yeah, Coffee Lake-S is all good.

Wondering about the clocks in the database; with this being an ES, does that also mean these clocks are always set in stone or can they possibly still be changed? I think this is pretty much it right? They seem to be a bit on the low side, both base and boost clocks.

Last edited:

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Cannonlake is not a shrink of Kabylake. This is confirmed because Intel already confirmed that Cannonlake comes with Gen10 graphics. That rules out a shrink of Kabylake.
I meant Coffee Lake, actually. Which is even worse... :D

It's not even a die shrink. I have been at work too long...

Reactions: Drazick

Edrick

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2010
edit: Nevermind..I misread what you said...yea CNL is technically a shrink of KBL now...

Pretty sure CNL is not just a shrink of KBL (unless you are only referring to the S lineup).

avx512.jpg

Reactions: ZGR

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
^^ It may support the AVX-512 instructions but I imagine the hardware units have not changed.

Eddward

Apr 10, 2012
AFAIK Cannonlake was supposed to be a 10nm die shrink of Skylake (now Kaby Lake). These kind of architecture always had some small improvements especially in the iGPU area. Remember Ivy Bridge, Broadwell ? This is the same.
Coffee Lake is not a shrink nor a new architecture, it's basically some kind of Kaby Lake spin-off.

Reactions: 2blzd

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
AFAIK Cannonlake was supposed to be a 10nm die shrink of Skylake (now Kaby Lake). These kind of architecture always had some small improvements especially in the iGPU area.

Yeah the IGP is Gen10. I don't know if there is anything really notable in it however. There were rumors of one point that Intel was going to implement AdaptiveSync but I am not so sure that is going to happen with Cannonlake.

2blzd

May 16, 2016
Pretty sure CNL is not just a shrink of KBL (unless you are only referring to the S lineup).

avx512.jpg

I only said that because KBL is the most recent chip between the two. I'm sure there are more changes. What about Coffee Lake though?

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I only said that because KBL is the most recent chip between the two. I'm sure there are more changes. What about Coffee Lake though?

Coffee Lake is "confirmed" to be using Gen 9.5 IGP so pretty much any additional clock speeds due to 14++ is it, well beyond the extra cores.

Reactions: 2blzd

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Are there specific details I can read up on why Intel's full 10nm is not coming out anytime soon? Is it the yields?

I read a while ago that the yields were horrible, but not why. I don't have that link anymore and my google foo is lame today.

Reactions: formulav8

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Are there specific details I can read up on why Intel's full 10nm is not coming out anytime soon? Is it the yields?

They are still intending to release Cannonlake U/Y at the end of the year. But yeah, yields, although how bad the yields actually are is unknown.

Reactions: formulav8

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I read a while ago that the yields were horrible, but not why. I don't have that link anymore and my google foo is lame today.
IIRC, Intel also said that 14nm++ was better than the first gen 10nm. Which is partly why we saw more 14nm parts.

Reactions: Drazick and 2blzd

Eddward

Apr 10, 2012
Yes, they released at least one picture where 10nm is clearly below 14nm++ in terms of transistor performance, so it's clear that we won't see any desktop SKUs based on the 1st 10nm gen...
14nmenhanced.png