Intel Chief we’re under attack

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I wonder if this will be a 9/11 moment as in trump ends up keeping us safe for the rest of his term...except for the largest attack on US soil.

Reactions: tweaker2

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Reactions: DarthKyrie

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
While Bush may have naively ignored the threat then, Trump is actively inviting it now AND ci=urrently sucking the cock of the man responsible for the most egregious attacks.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
I'm sure he'll effectively address the issue in his secret meeting with Putin next week...

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Disturbing how so many people supported him just because of a terrorist attack. Despite being way too young to vote, even I knew the parties were not the same.

I can't help but think the 9/11 reactions of Republicans and the American right at large played a role in getting us to the point we're at now, in fact. Bush Jr., Cheney, Fox News and the like exploited the simplistic "you're either with us or with the terrorists" crap to imply that only Republicans could deal with terrorism, which helped Bush get two terms... and of course, when the successor to Bush was not only a Democrat, but a black man with a 'foreign-sounding' name... well, the right wing just lost its collective mind. You now have millions of people who are happily following Trump off the cliff because they see Democrats as an existential threat.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I can't help but think the 9/11 reactions of Republicans and the American right at large played a role in getting us to the point we're at now, in fact. Bush Jr., Cheney, Fox News and the like exploited the simplistic "you're either with us or with the terrorists" crap to imply that only Republicans could deal with terrorism, which helped Bush get two terms... and of course, when the successor to Bush was not only a Democrat, but a black man with a 'foreign-sounding' name... well, the right wing just lost its collective mind. You now have millions of people who are happily following Trump off the cliff because they see Democrats as an existential threat.

Don't scare me like that.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Fore the mere act that Trump is obviously compromised by the Russians in some form or another makes it extremely difficult for the Repubs in the legislature and the security agencies that Trump is currently trying his best to discredit to effectively pursue these external threats to our democracy.

There can be no parsing of nations that are threatening us. Therefore, so long as Trump keeps up his efforts to defend Putin from the very people he was sworn to protect, there can be no fully supported effort to mitigate these threats from any of those nations mentioned in the article. Trump will see to it that these threats aren't taken seriously for the incredulously silly reason that he does not want the legitimacy of his being elected threatened in any way, shape or form.

To single out any of those other nations that are threatening us is to bring attention back to this "Fake Russia Thing" that Trump constantly mentions every time a microphone gets stuck in his face.

A lose/lose situation for the people of the nation and the security agencies whose job is to do what Trump doesn't want them to do.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
LOL.

I know Bush was too busy bbq'ing in Crawford TX, to be bothered to read a dossier on his desk titled, "Bin Laden determined to attack inside United States!"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bin_Ladin_Determined_To_Strike_in_US

Lets see if history repeats itself.

That's not really fair. The 9/11 attack exploited a blind spot in the thinking of our security agencies. The possibility had been there for a very long time but they just didn't see it. Al Qaeda had been setting it up for years.

Feb 4, 2009
That's not really fair. The 9/11 attack exploited a blind spot in the thinking of our security agencies. The possibility had been there for a very long time but they just didn't see it. Al Qaeda had been setting it up for years.

I think he’s saying we ignored OBL’s obsession with the World Trade Center, we ignored reports of weird Arab guys wanting to learn to fly but not interested in landing or having any real intentions of being a pilot and stuff.
Just as we’re currently ignoring obvious attempts to penetrate Government, voter logs, banks and utilities.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I think he’s saying we ignored OBL’s obsession with the World Trade Center, we ignored reports of weird Arab guys wanting to learn to fly but not interested in landing or having any real intentions of being a pilot and stuff.
Just as we’re currently ignoring obvious attempts to penetrate Government, voter logs, banks and utilities.

I'll go with "we" but it's unfair to try to pin it on GWB. It's like trying to pin the Russian cyber attack on Obama.

I say that as a person who had no love for GWB at all.

IJTSSG

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2014
We've been under cyber attack for decades. You can add Israel to that list as well. Our federal intel and law enforcement agencies have been pretty good at collecting cyber intel, identifying malicious source IP's, malicious code, spear phishing attacks, etc. but where they have sucked royally, until very recently, is sharing that information with both other government agencies and private industries. They are notorious, especially the FBI, for sitting and watching streams of intellectual property, personally identifiable information, financial data or critical but unclassified information leaving government and private networks on it's way to the aforementioned 5 countries without saying a word because they were "building a case" and were going to arrest someone. They are doing better recently by sharing through some of the different *-ISAC's that have been established but they've still got a ways to go.

Mar 11, 2004
I'll go with "we" but it's unfair to try to pin it on GWB. It's like trying to pin the Russian cyber attack on Obama.

I say that as a person who had no love for GWB at all.

I don't think its unfair at all. Obama wasn't actively ignoring intel about it (in fact he tried to do something about it, but the Republicans refused, and he worried that it would play into their insane conspiracy bullshit because it appeared to be exactly what Turmp was exploiting to win the nomination, so he thought it would make things worse). Bush just didn't want to do his job because its hard. Now sure that wasn't the only major fuckup there (there's plenty of others to go around, just as there is with regards to Russia). I think there's even valid criticisms of Obama with regards to Russia in general. Point being though, if we had other people than we currently have in the White House, I think they'd be taking it a hell of a lot more seriously instead of possibly trying to outright help Russia.

Some Republicans chastised Bill Clinton for being "too obsessed" with Osama Bin Laden, so I think we're seeing another form of that type of intentional ignorance, where we had healthy warning of something but because of idiotic political bullshit, they ignore it until it becomes impossible to ignore.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
We've been under cyber attack for decades. You can add Israel to that list as well. Our federal intel and law enforcement agencies have been pretty good at collecting cyber intel, identifying malicious source IP's, malicious code, spear phishing attacks, etc. but where they have sucked royally, until very recently, is sharing that information with both other government agencies and private industries. They are notorious, especially the FBI, for sitting and watching streams of intellectual property, personally identifiable information, financial data or critical but unclassified information leaving government and private networks on it's way to the aforementioned 5 countries without saying a word because they were "building a case" and were going to arrest someone. They are doing better recently by sharing through some of the different *-ISAC's that have been established but they've still got a ways to go.
So do you support an executive branch that not only is ok with allowing more of the same but actually seems intent on fomenting more attacks on our sovereignty in the name of protecting power?