Question Intel CEO says the industry should stop using benchmarks [PCGamer]

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Lisa Su: "Ryzen 4000 is the world's fastest CPU in every benchmark out there. From gaming to production, it wins in all benchmarks".

Intel:

tenor.gif

:p

Feb 17, 2020
Thanks, I'm two steps closer to buzzword bingo. Keep going!

At Intel, we pride ourselves in developing impactful and disruptive solutions to the challenges that professionals and creators face every day. We relentlessly push the boundaries of technology to provide our users with the tools they need to innovate in their fields.

Anything I missed?

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
At Intel, we pride ourselves in developing impactful and disruptive solutions to the challenges that professionals and creators face every day. We relentlessly push the boundaries of technology to provide our users with the tools they need to innovate in their fields.

Anything I missed?

Yes. Core competency. I've heard that one too many times. Good work on disruptive though, that's another buzzword that's annoying. I literally had to almost bite my tongue once on a video conference call when some higher up said something about "...not being our core competency". I was just so close to laughing.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
We are focused at Intel in devising leading edge IoT specific solutions that will enable Hyperautomation which creates synergies with our Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning platforms and algorithms in a way that puts our partners at an advantage when it comes to mobile first connected retail user experiences. Leveraging this complete platform package, we emulate Quantum Computing at an unmatched scale, answering questions that scientists haven't even thought to ask yet and providing security features that are unmatched by patching vulnerabilities before they are discovered.

Also, Blockchain.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
We are focused at Intel in devising leading edge IoT specific solutions that will enable Hyperautomation which creates synergies with our Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning platforms and algorithms in a way that puts our partners at an advantage when it comes to mobile first connected retail user experiences. Leveraging this complete platform package, we emulate Quantum Computing at an unmatched scale, answering questions that scientists haven't even thought to ask yet and providing security features that are unmatched by patching vulnerabilities before they are discovered.

Also, Blockchain.
If there was more BS in that, it would have to be actual Intel words......

Good job...I mean seriously, thats like car manufacturers saying "oh, take our word for it, we have the safest cars on the planet".

The BS out of Intel has reached a new high. I am sorry, I hate to say this, as I have never really been against them, and I still have several good older Intel boxes, but with this new low, I wish they would have to declare chapter 11 or something, this is ridiculous. There is no Intel supporter on this forum that could possibly defend such stupidity.

reb0rn

Dec 31, 2009
It nothing wrong they lose the lead in scores and benches, they just need to cut 70% price and we are happy to buy them.......

Also AMD was in same situation for most of its life and still survived and tried to push their narrative Budozer 8 core khm khm ....

Reactions: lightmanek

Markfw

May 16, 2002
It nothing wrong they lose the lead in scores and benches, they just need to cut 70% price and we are happy to buy them.......

Also AMD was in same situation for most of its life and still survived and tried to push their narrative Budozer 8 core khm khm ....
If that happens, thats good for the average joe. But its horrible for anybody that wants performance, efficiency and value overall.

I would buy a 10900k for $200. But that won't happen IMO.....

Reactions: Drazick

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000

Anything I missed?

Yes. Core competency. I've heard that one too many times. Good work on disruptive though, that's another buzzword that's annoying. I literally had to almost bite my tongue once on a video conference call when some higher up said something about "...not being our core competency". I was just so close to laughing.

Also, Blockchain.

I think everyone just hit bingo. On every card.

70%? An i9-10900k would be ~$160. Sure people would buy them, but at what cost to their future?

dmens

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2005

RetroZombie

Nov 5, 2019
Well losing cpu benchmarks, what about gpus?

They will probably lose all tests to nvidia and amd, then they will price the products at nvidia levels but have performance almost like amd.

What will userbenchmark say on intel gpu reviews? Lets see what they say about amd gpus:
«The reference 5700 XT is great for beating benchmarks, but it is not so great for playing games. Thousands of people purchased the reference card expecting flagship performance, instead they got a shopping trolley with a V6 engine. It appears that the same marketing tactics were employed for the reference Vega 56 and 64 series of graphics cards which we will purchase for our gaming lab and generate effective Fps gaming metrics as soon as possible (results here). AMD appear to have very short term marketing strategists at the helm, they seem more concerned with this years bonuses than the longevity of the brand.»

From intel will be something like this:
What great looking card which is the most important thing when buying a graphics card. That huge intel logo just gives it more value over other brands despite the obtained results.
It's the best gpu ever, because it's not from amd nor nvidia.
Warning: Beware of the radeon and geforce fanboys who might contradict this.

Last edited:

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Well losing a cpu benchmarks, what about gpus?

They will probably lose all tests to nvidia and amd, then they will price the products at nvidia levels but have performance almost like amd.

I don't think they have given up completely on dGPUs, but it's gonna be awhile. They gave away DG1 to a couple OEMs for some token volume but that's it.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

Also, Blockchain.

Now, Now... Blockchain was 2018's buzzword. If you wanted to modernize this Intel vision statement for 2020, you need to add "in these difficult times" and something about fighting COVID-19. And remember: We're all in this together.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Well, some people think you are way too pessimistic. For example, from a forum member here:

I don't care about stock market crap. Most investors are technical morons. Even if Intel continues to make money, I will stand by, and BUY AMD as long as its a better value.

Just hope the morons get a clue.

Carillon

Jun 4, 2020
11th gen core marketing:
i3 dual core processors for office
i5 dual core with hyper threading for gamers
i7 quad cores for mad scientists
more than that will be marketed as trash, the hedt cpus will be branded as xeons

Reactions: DarthKyrie

chrisjames61

Dec 31, 2013
I am guessing that means he already has the preliminary Zen 3 performance benchmarks. ( Partners would have it under NDAs but these things leaks back and forth within the industry )

And Zen 3 would actually be something Intel cant / dont want to benchmark against.

Considering 10nm won't be any better than 14nm in pushing Clockspeed ( They used that one up too much with 14nm ), and their IPC are known, ( Willow Cove, ) I am guessing Intel has used up all their tricks until Alderlake in 2022.

Meanwhile Zen 3 should give at least 5% higher Clockspeed and 15% higher IPC. All while maintaining MultiCore dominance.

Would not be surprised If Intel's only answer were to lower Desktop price by 30 - 50%.

Much more interested in the Mobile side of things.

I agree. The dude is laying the groundwork to try and blunt the beating they are going to take.

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
Well, some people think you are way too pessimistic. For example, from a forum member here:

I would be careful to conflate a company's investment prospects with its technology.

Intel remains a solid investment because they are very investor-focused - they care more about returning good dividends and driving high EPS. And they are still seeing growth as well.

That does NOT mean they have better products, just more fiscally efficient products from an investor's point of view.

Making the assumption that because investors like Intel, that means their products must be good, is completely misguided.

Reactions: scannall