Intel Celeron 2.5 & 2.6 GHZ Announced

Boitch

May 29, 2003
:beer:
Intel just announced the Celeron 2.5GHZ and 2.6GHZ processors. Anybody know if they are worth a looksee??

Still has the 128K cache, but I currently own a 400MHZ Celeron (128K cache), so I expect at least 3X the Performance. And if I can overclock this sucker, I might be able to hit 2.8GHZ with just the stock cooler.

Any comments?

Budman

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
yawn....
rolleye.gif

infinite012

Apr 23, 2003
Why would you want to overclock a celeron? That's just....pointless. Get an athlon xp 2500+ for the kind of money that you would pay for a celeron 2.5 or 2.6.

Booster

Diamond Member
May 4, 2002
Celeron is great, absolutely amazing for the price. The speed is exactly the same as the P4, no noticeable difference, at only 1/3 of the cost per MHz. That's perhaps the best bang for the buck you can find. AMD may also be good, but it would be noisy and doesn't have any headroom for an upgrade unlike the Celeron.

bgeh

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Booster
Celeron is great, absolutely amazing for the price. The speed is exactly the same as the P4, no noticeable difference, at only 1/3 of the cost per MHz. That's perhaps the best bang for the buck you can find. AMD may also be good, but it would be noisy and doesn't have any headroom for an upgrade unlike the Celeron.

speed is the same, but cache is a quarter, which kills performance. i would buy the AMD over the Celeron even though the AMD chip is more expensive by $20

Boitch

May 29, 2003
The reason I would buy a CELERON over an AMD is because I already have a S478 M/B. Are u suggesting I should scrap the Motherboard (Brand New), and get an AMD CPU- M/B combo, so that I can boast to all my friends that my machine is quicker than theirs? DAW!!! :confused:

lookouthere

May 23, 2003
if it is brand new, don't buy AMD. buy celeron now then upgrade to prescott core at the end of the year

Rand

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I'd as soon buy a P4 1.8a over the Celeron 2.6GHz.
The currently Celeron's are pathetic at best.
Even the Celeron 1.8Ghz @ 3.0GHz was only falling a bit behind the P4 Northwood 1.8Ghz at stock clock speed, even in office apps it generally only managed to pull up to par with a P4 2.2GHz.

Spend a tiny bit more and get a Northwood P4, it'll be faster even at stock speeds then the overclocked Celeron plus it's an excellent overclocker in it's own right.

RaynorWolfcastle

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Get the celeron if you're into media encoding... otherwise, get a lower-speed P4 or Athlon. The small 128k cache really hurts the Celeron in most applications

ChampionAtTufshop

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2002
man
1.6a/1.8a u know the ones, the mad ocers
get one of them, and your off to the races (and leave that pos cellery behind)

touchmyichi

Golden Member
May 26, 2002
I'd rather beat myself senseless with a baseball bat than own a celeron. There is basically no reason at all to own one. A lower clocked p4 can easy overclock and rock one of those. Thats not to even mention that AMD would destroy one at a 42 dollar price tag.

lookouthere

May 23, 2003
Originally posted by: lookouthere
if it is brand new, don't buy AMD. buy celeron now then upgrade to prescott core at the end of the year

you guys probably don't know what i mean..........
i mean you own the celeron for temporary then end of year, spent more money on prescott since the 1.6a is hard to find and expensive

Sunbird

Golden Member
Jul 20, 2001
The most expensive Celeron is always cheaper than the slowest P4 here in South Africa, don't know how it is in US.

And if your on a tight budget, celeron would be it if you like the Intel Inside thing.

bgeh

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Sunbird
The most expensive Celeron is always cheaper than the slowest P4 here in South Africa, don't know how it is in US.

And if your on a tight budget, celeron would be it if you like the Intel Inside thing.

yeah, that's why i love AMD. provides good performance at a great value