Discussion Intel current and future Lakes & Rapids thread

Page 232 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
It looks like Jim Keller has resigned from Intel:

This caught me by surprise. I wonder what this speaks of their future products (Ocean Cove etc.).
I can't help but think this has something to do with several things. The CEO (his comments on benchmarks as an example), the problems with 10nm and 7nm, and the current technical dominance of AMD. Maybe even the whole Intel environment as a whole, he is unable to effect the changes he wants.

I seriously doubt its actually for real personal reasons, unless the personal reason is that he now hates Intel, and does not want to be associated with them anymore.

RetroZombie

Nov 5, 2019
Wow! I wonder how long it will take for us to find out if he just decided to leave Intel or actually had a personal issue.
It's right there in the intel memo:
«Intel is pleased to announce, however, that Mr. Keller has agreed to serve as a consultant for six months to assist with the transition

Reactions: lobz and lightmanek

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Maybe even the whole Intel environment as a whole, he is unable to effect the changes he wants.
This would be my guess. Too much institutional inertia for him to affect change in a reasonable time frame.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
It's right there in the intel memo:
«Intel is pleased to announce, however, that Mr. Keller has agreed to serve as a consultant for six months to assist with the transition
Maybe there is a project that absolutely needs to be finished up and the two parties came to an agreement. Anyway, just spitballing at the moment.

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
With his resume, he will be inundated with offers!
Maybe. He is very good. But has a bad case of wanderlust. If a company has a specific project in mind, and one he finds interesting then he would be a good hire.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
Here is a i7-1165G7 log from Intel:

11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz (family: 0x6, model: 0x8c, stepping: 0x1)
Intel Corporation Tiger Lake Client Platform/TigerLake U DDR4 SODIMM RVP

Stepping 1 belongs to B0:
TGL_REVID_A0 0x0
TGL_REVID_B0 0x1
TGL_REVID_C0 0x2
I'm actually surprised that B0 already received a final CPU ID instead of the generic 0000, I thought they are based on the C0 stepping. Also confirms that the G7 branding gets a fully enabled GT2:
slice total: 1
subslice total: 6
EU total: 96
EU per subslice: 16

Reactions: Zucker2k and vstar

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
They told later this summer just recently which basically rules out this month. Something between July-September is later this summer, I believe July or August. Icelake launched on August 1st last year and there is the Hot Chips and GDC digital event with a Tigerlake/Xe presentation scheduled for this month, a launch in this timeframe would make sense.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
For PR purposes to try to downplay Apple's ARM transition. Note this doesn't mean that laptops will be available, just the launch.

Right, that comes next year. That would put the Apple laptops up against Alder Lake-P. I'll refrain from speculating further on that until I've seen Apple's announcement.

Zucker2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2006
This guy claims he has leaks from Intel about Rocket Lake? Adored TV Redux? Interesting video inside the link.

Cardyak

Sep 12, 2018
This guy claims he has leaks from Intel about Rocket Lake? Adored TV Redux? Interesting video inside the link.

Seems to appear that Rocket Lake may be a slightly reduced version of Willow Cove dubbed "Cypress Cove"

More information related to Golden Cove is coming soon as well.

french toast

Feb 22, 2017
I watch some of his stuff which is interesting, seems pretty logical from my view point (except maybe the dozens of AMD APUs coming soon) whether or not it is legit is anyone's guess, one or two on here seem to think he is not, based on what I don't know. #pinch of salt.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
I watch some of his stuff which is interesting, seems pretty logical from my view point (except maybe the dozens of AMD APUs coming soon) whether or not it is legit is anyone's guess, one or two on here seem to think he is not, based on what I don't know. #pinch of salt.

I skimmed through his older videos. Even if he doesn't have a legitimate source, he seems to be able to analyze things logically enough that in the end it doesn't make a huge difference.

I'm actually surprised that B0 already received a final CPU ID instead of the generic 0000, I thought they are based on the C0 stepping. Also confirms that the G7 branding gets a fully enabled GT2:

Comparing ICL die shots with TGL wafer shots from AT, it looks like they were able to increase the ratios of EUs and associated units(like caches) relative to "others", on top of making the EUs much more area efficient. If you look at the pictures of the Gen 11 GPU, the EUs take quite little space relative to the whole GPU.

That reduction of others is how they were able to increase resources by 50%, and overhaul everything at nearly the same size.

Last edited:
Reactions: french toast

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012

The only really new info is the codename Cypress Cove which we never heard elsewhere. But he also says Intel possibly won't use this codename publicly.

Seems to appear that Rocket Lake may be a slightly reduced version of Willow Cove dubbed "Cypress Cove"

The L2 Cache is smaller and possibly L3 as well. I believe this is just Willow Cove with a downgraded cache size to fit in 14nm. And in this case it seems logical that internally they are using a different codename because the cache redesign is a feature of Willow Cove, even though we don't know if his source is legit. Let's not forget not long ago some "insider guy" mailed several hardware sites and told 10nm desktop including ADL-S has been cancelled, it was fishy from the beginning and turned out to be wrong not long after.

Reactions: coercitiv

LightningZ71

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2017
They can compensate for the reduced cache size by rather aggressively allowing RAM speeds to rise. Most of their tenth gen line is restricted to less than 3000 speeds. Allowing it to rise to 3200-3600 could mask some of the latency hit of smaller caches.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
I'm growing tired of this type of leaks: it's called Cypress Cove but may still be called Willow Cove, it may be chiplet based but may be monolithic still, "optimized for high frequency" and then uses a very conservative 4.7Ghz+ that is already leaked as possible TVB for TGL.

Except for the word "Cypress" there is nothing new in that video that we didn't already know. It's a great video for somebody who just wants a quarterly update on things.

TheGiant

Jun 12, 2017
is intel going to use ringbus with the 8C large cores to deliver gaming performance?
small cores mesh? ring?
together?
cache structure?
do we know anything?
tiger lake is marked by cache redesign but what is it?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
It's a great video for somebody who just wants a quarterly update on things.

Sadly, that is more information than what Intel chooses to share with the public. And in all fairness, the same can be said of AMD these days.

@TheGiant

Intel hasn't chosen to use mesh on anything but Skylake-SP/Cascade Lake-SP+AP/Cooper Lake. I would expect Rocket to follow that pattern (read: use ringbus).

caswow

Sep 18, 2013
How much performanceuplift do you get when gpu memory restriction is turned on? i guess especially in notebook envoirement this could be a kind of cheat.