Discussion Intel current and future Lakes & Rapids thread

Page 204 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

exquisitechar

Apr 18, 2017
Can you point to the correction? Curious if the stated VRM is wrong as well.

I have trouble seeing a 10nm desktop product ever coming to fruition, so I think it will be skipped. OTOH, I find it hard to believe they'll skip two generations of micro-architecture for the desktop. But the truth will probably in the middle so most likely would be 10nm/Willow Cove or 7nm Golden Cove.
From a quick search, I found this reddit thread discussing the news. Keep in mind that this isn't confirmation that Rocket is Willow Cove, that's sharkbay's speculation. AVX-512 support is almost certain, though.

Recently, several rumors have indicated that Alder Lake-S is "alive", the most recent one being the big.LITTLE one that was discussed on this very page. Will it come to fruition? Who knows...

Reactions: Spartak

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
Not sure if the below slide has been discussed yet? Couldn't find anything about it in the 3-4 days after the article so apologies if it came up later.

But as much as I was counting on Rocket Lake to be a 14nm Willow Cove backport, it seems to be the final iteration of Coffee Lake, not even with AVX512 included.

The 15W / 125W TDP split makes sense if you see it as a powerful CPU for ultramobile where there is no room for a dGPU and reuse it for higher-end/SFF desktops for non-gamers.

I was looking forward to upgrade to Rocket Lake around april next year but I guess I'll have to wait at least another year for Alder Lake or be swayed by Zen in the meantime.

My estimate right now:
Comet Lake S - 10C - skylake - 14nm - april 2020
Rocket Lake S - 8C - skylake - 14nm - nov 2020 ~ april 2021
Alder Lake S - 8C/8c - Willow Cove - 7nm/10nm? - april ~ nov 2022
I have no idea why people on this forum keep thinking that intel will release desktop CPUs with completely different architectures fighting for the exact same customer group some mere months away from each other... your estimate makes zero sense... Rocket Lake is not happening this year and it will be a wonder if intel gets TGL out this year in any meaningful quantity.

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
I'm doubling down, Intel is going to go TSMC's 7nm and 5nm. With refreshes of those products on TSMC returning back to Intel Custom Foundry.

All these products; Tigerlake/Alderlake/Jasperlake/etc. are essentially Cedarmill products this generation. If it launches at Intel first, then it isn't a good one. While, if it is at TSMC first it will be a good one.

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
Exactly, Gracemont with IPC around Sky Lake would be pretty powerfull and IMO it's not correct to be named as LITTLE core (as ARM's LITTLE cores are typically very low IPC in-order cores). It's more like MIDDLE core: saving a lot of die space and energy while delivering 80% IPC of Sunny Cove (or 60% of Golden Cove).

8x Golden Cove (IPC +40% over SKL) + 8x cores of SKL IPC .... this thing could be pretty competitive against Zen3 and Zen4.
"Big and Bigger Compute combination" sounds like Intel marketing to me personally. I'm fairly certain I've seen it on a slide as such at some point.

Spartak

Jul 4, 2015
I have no idea why people on this forum keep thinking that intel will release desktop CPUs with completely different architectures fighting for the exact same customer group some mere months away from each other... your estimate makes zero sense... Rocket Lake is not happening this year and it will be a wonder if intel gets TGL out this year in any meaningful quantity.

I'm sorry but this is not my estimate nor is it a meme from this forum. All rumors / leaked info suggests a late '20 /early '21 release. Furthermore, Comet Lake is half a year late, fall is the usual release period which I'm sure you should know.

The comparison with TGL is bizarre. It's for a different category of the market (h) and it's made on a process with very well known issues.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
I'm sorry but this is not my estimate nor is it a meme from this forum. All rumors / leaked info suggests a late '20 /early '21 release. Furthermore, Comet Lake is half a year late, fall is the usual release period which I'm sure you should know.

The comparison with TGL is bizarre. It's for a different category of the market (h) and it's made on a process with very well known issues.
As you wish. I'm definitely marking this post for myself. We'll talk later this year.

Spartak

Jul 4, 2015
As you wish. I'm definitely marking this post for myself. We'll talk later this year.

It seems you have trouble understanding the concept of a range. I said somewhere between late this year and early next year. You can come back to me if there isnt a rocket lake release by june next year.

Not sure why you get your panties so twisted over something that is expected in that timeframe by almost anyone but you.

Reactions: mikk

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
@lobz

I think Intel will overall sell more Tigerlake-U chips than IceLake-U. That might still not be that many, and the possibility of some weird thrown-together 8c Tigerlake-H that will show up in desktop still seems a bit remote. But hey we can dream, right?

@Spartak

Comet Lake-S is indeed very late. It's surprising that Intel took so long pulling together this product when it is essentially 10c Coffee Lake. It was supposed to be out in December or so. That being said, Comet Lake-S is a pretty lackluster product, so I don't expect its delays to specifically affect Rocket Lake-S' launch. Optimists would put it in Q1 2021. The question is whether Intel will have similar problems launching Rocket Lake-S.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
I have no idea why people on this forum keep thinking that intel will release desktop CPUs with completely different architectures fighting for the exact same customer group some mere months away from each other...
While I'm not interested to get into this CML-S & RKL-S launch window debate... let's help you get that idea quickly.
At this very moment Intel is selling 2 mobile CPUs with completely different architectures which are fighting for the exact same customer group. They were launched mere months away from each other.

Using common sense to predict Intel's future behavior is so 2015.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
At this very moment Intel is selling 2 mobile CPUs with completely different architectures which are fighting for the exact same customer group. They were launched mere months away from each other
ummm.... not really? There's no ICL / TGL over 4 cores, so tell me, exactly what should be the difference between the target groups of the 6-10 core CML and the 6-8 core RKL?

Using common sense to predict Intel's future behavior is so 2015.
Nevertheless, reading this I should probably retreat and say you're right :) :)

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
@lobz

I think Intel will overall sell more Tigerlake-U chips than IceLake-U.
That's almost 100%.
But what's also almost 100% for me, is that it's not gonna be this year. (I mean, the number of sold TGL surpassing the number of sold ICL).

Gideon

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
Apple announced new Macbook Airs, and it does appear they are using Icelake-Y.
Hmm I get the impression they are.
From the notes: https://www.apple.com/macbook-air/

Testing conducted by Apple in February 2020 using preproduction 1.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7-based MacBook Air systems with Intel Iris Plus Graphics, 16GB of RAM, and 2TB SSD, as well as shipping 1.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5-based MacBook Air systems with Intel UHD Graphics 617, 16GB of RAM, and 1TB SSD.

EDIT:
In the configurator they list the models. It looks they correspond exactly to the Y models:
i3-1000G4 and i5-1030G7 (and i7-1060G7 as an extra)

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Are those the first IceLake-Y products to market? I had thought IceLake-Y was so rare as to be non-existant? Or was that just the top-end IceLake-U?

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Leaked pricing for Comet Lake. What can I say?
View attachment 17293Artem S. Tashkinov

It would be nice to see how Intel Core i5 10400F compares to Ryzen 5 3600.

As excited as i am for even the 4000 series thing, who knows with this human malware situation it could be pushed but overall the Comet stuff may be hotter then Hades, but at least it has a chance to clearly win in gaming where it matters most to me. If the i7 10700 does require water and if Cyberpunk2077 is good and demands more then my 7700k no issues with a 3700x. Not gonna hold my breathe and hope 4000 is on time. Ampere may be pushed till Q4 and damn it i want to rebuild this year.

Gideon

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
The theoretical 1068G7's turbo clock is 4.1
TBF the main thing that improved is multi-threaded performance

Intel-Tiger-Lake-U-15W-and-28W-CPU-Performance-Versus-Ice-Lake-U.jpg

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
If you think Icelake runs at 3.9 Ghz all the time you are deluded.
You know what else is delusional? Expecting average clocks to increase considerably despite difficulties with increasing max single-core boost.

I hope they fix the i5 SKUs at least, so we don't see a repeat of the slaughter CML-U brought upon ICL-U in the value segment.