Discussion Intel current and future Lakes & Rapids thread

Page 38 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
I don't like to refer to such sources, regardless of who they appear to cheer for.

But a sample size of one is pretty silly to make a judgement with...

I don't think its a problem at all if you like something, as long as it doesn't distort your judgement. The big test of that is whether you are willing to admit there's something flawed with the thing you like. If you can't, then you are a "fanboy" in the negative sense.

Dayman1225

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2017
Boy that guy doesn't seem to like Intel at all...

I wish I'd known that before bothering to read what he says.

Nah, he's actually thinks quite highly of Intel, he's just pissed like anyone would be of the constant delays and marketing deception about their 10nm node. He basically dislikes TMG

CHADBOGA

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2009
Boy that guy doesn't seem to like Intel at all...

I wish I'd known that before bothering to read what he says.

You should be bothered to read what he says, he is like a semi-conductor bloodhound, seeking out info as early as he can get it.

Intel has spread so much BS about their manufacturing process, they need to be called out on it.

He is such a clown and all round idiot.

Perhaps he was useful once, but I suspect he couldn't keep his skills relevant, so now he is a Twitter Toughguy. :rolleyes:

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
For desktop, Intel could still release the Z390 with Coffee Lake Refresh in Q3 next year, just no 8 core. It does seem like there won't be any 10 nm Core products in 2018. As for Whiskey Lake, I guess what happened is that OEMs told Intel they didn't want Cannonlake anymore due to all of the delays.

Should point out that Intel didn't increase the gen number with Haswell Refresh; so they could do that again.

Mar 10, 2006
For desktop, Intel could still release the Z390 with Coffee Lake Refresh in Q3 next year, just no 8 core. It does seem like there won't be any 10 nm Core products in 2018. As for Whiskey Lake, I guess what happened is that OEMs told Intel they didn't want Cannonlake anymore due to all of the delays.

Should point out that Intel didn't increase the gen number with Haswell Refresh; so they could do that again.

Considering Cannon Lake is now objectively a worse product for laptops than Kaby Lake Refresh is, it doesn't make sense to launch it because OEMs don't want it. Far more sensible to get another power efficiency bump by moving to 14nm++ and also migrating to a more feature-rich PCH.

Reactions: Ajay

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I don't think its a problem at all if you like something, as long as it doesn't distort your judgement. The big test of that is whether you are willing to admit there's something flawed with the thing you like. If you can't, then you are a "fanboy" in the negative sense.
Sure, except in these rumor cases, we are talking about info/leaks about unreleased products. Info that may or may not be true. We don't actually know.
We don't have a product yet that we can say is flawed, or not flawed.
Basically, we are judging the info source, moreso than the info.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
Intel have to cancel CNL mobile because Dualcore CPUs are outdated and not competitive in 2018/2019. With KBL-R 4C, Raven Ridge 4C, WHL-U 4C all these products would outclass CNL 2C by a big margin, even in singlethread because I doubt the first 10nm variant could challenge 14nm++ (WHL-U). The addition of WHL-U could be a result of the CNL termination. Intel should finally stop their "CNL is on track" marketing nonsense and tell us the truth.

Reactions: Arachnotronic

Yotsugi

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2017
Intel should finally stop their "CNL is on track" marketing nonsense and tell us the truth.
You see, they need to pull this in a way that won't make shareholders hilariously angry.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Intel should finally stop their "CNL is on track" marketing nonsense and tell us the truth.

I guess the question is whether Whiskey Lake also replaces Cannonlake-Y. I am guessing yes.

IOW, Whiskey Lake in the middle of 2018 for U/Y and Coffee Lake Refresh in Q3 for H/S. Then Icelake a year later for both. That what it seems like now.

Dayman1225

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2017
I guess the question is whether Whiskey Lake also replaces Cannonlake-Y. I am guessing yes.

IOW, Whiskey Lake in the middle of 2018 for U/Y and Coffee Lake Refresh in Q3 for H/S. Then Icelake a year later for both. That what it seems like now.

Coffee Lake U replaces KBL 2+3e with 4+3e. Whiskey Lake U replaces Kaby Lake R. 4+2 to 4+2 (new PCH?) IDK where you pulled CFL R from.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Coffee Lake U replaces KBL 2+3e with 4+3e. Whiskey Lake U replaces Kaby Lake R. 4+2 to 4+2 (new PCH?) IDK where you pulled CFL R from.

Well, Intel likes to keep releases to around a year, so figure they will go ahead and release more Coffee Lake just to replace the models that were paper launched. I guess that wouldn't have any impact on H though.

Mar 10, 2006
You see, they need to pull this in a way that won't make shareholders hilariously angry.

Do you think that the portfolio managers who own Intel stock care one bit about whether Cannon Lake ever ships?

Do you think they know what Cannon Lake is?

Cannon Lake needs to be cancelled because there’s no point in ramping into production a chip/platform that nobody wants.

Mar 10, 2006
Intel have to cancel CNL mobile because Dualcore CPUs are outdated and not competitive in 2018/2019. With KBL-R 4C, Raven Ridge 4C, WHL-U 4C all these products would outclass CNL 2C by a big margin, even in singlethread because I doubt the first 10nm variant could challenge 14nm++ (WHL-U). The addition of WHL-U could be a result of the CNL termination. Intel should finally stop their "CNL is on track" marketing nonsense and tell us the truth.

Remember how DigiTimes and FanlessTech published the truth about CNL and Intel was adamant that it was “on track”?

Reactions: mikk

Dayman1225

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2017
Reminder that today Intel is giving a talk about their 10nm @IEDM. 9am PST. 12pm ET. No videos or photos allowed at any events sadly, so we're gonna have to wait for a article.

Yotsugi

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2017
Reminder that today Intel is giving a talk about their 10nm @IEDM. 9am PST. 12pm ET. No videos or photos allowed at any events sadly, so we're gonna have to wait for a article.
Common Platform will also be talking the benefits and perf estimates of GAA geometry.
7LP keynote is the last one.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Broadwell? 5775c?
I think those two were just oddballs.

When Intel says a low volume SKU in 10nm will be released in 2017, what do they mean?

Do they mean it could be any SKU, there just won't be many released?

Do they mean it will be available, but it's a typically low volume part?

What categories of desktop/mobile CPUs are typically low volume parts for Intel?

What CPU could Intel be talking about, assuming they actually do release something in 10nm this year?

Yotsugi

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2017
What CPU could Intel be talking about, assuming they actually do release something in 10nm this year?
Imagine one laptop with 2/4+gt2 gen10.
That's your "Cannonlake" for this (and probably next) year.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

Dual core Cannonlake die; with the GPU fused off for yield reasons. Keep in mind that the GPU on the Cannonlake 2+2 die is like 2/3rds of the space.

Dayman1225

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2017
Dual core Cannonlake die; with the GPU fused off for yield reasons. Keep in mind that the GPU on the Cannonlake 2+2 die is like 2/3rds of the space.

Honestly cannot see that happening, especially since its more than likely CNL-Y releasing first, it'll be useless without a IGPU.