Discussion Intel current and future Lakes & Rapids thread

Page 58 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Yotsugi

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2017
Charlie also said 14nm+++ is coming which won't happen. ICL is in much better shape than CNL ever was based on the leaks. And of course I don't expect ICL-U really available before mid 2019, there is lots of time from now on to improve. And regarding CNL there are rumours something graphics related was broken unrelated to 10nm which may be one big reason why they had to disable the graphics part on the first shipped wave of CNL. It's not even clear if we ever see CNL with graphics enabled.
I have a rather bad feeling about ICL too.

Reactions: raghu78

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
BK has already prepared the golden parachute by selling like every share he could.
We all know how it will end.
Previously, the claim was that those sales were due to the Meltdown/Spectre news...

Any such sales based on insider knowledge would be illegal, of course, and these sales are always closely scrutinized.

This is just more and more guessing and wishful thinking, imo.

Yotsugi

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2017
This is just more and more guessing and wishful thinking, imo.
Yeah, selling everything but ~250k shares he's required to hold as the CEO is n-not weird I-I swear.
Come on.
It's obvious.
Fortunately, feelings don't matter at all..
But the real world strikes again with TSMC shipping 7FF wafers already while we've yet to see any CNL in volume or ICL samples.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Yeah, selling everything but ~250k shares he's required to hold as the CEO is n-not weird I-I swear.
Come on.
It's obvious.

But the real world strikes again with TSMC shipping 7FF wafers already while we've yet to see any CNL in volume or ICL samples.
8121U leaks are all over the place, though. 10nm Cannon Lake chip.

Yotsugi

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2017
8121U leaks are all over the place, though. 10nm Cannon Lake chip.
One 2+0 chip and where are the volume shipments?
ICF is not shipping 10nm wafers too.
We've seen ICL-Y/U ES leaks too, that doesn't mean it's going volume any time soon.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
One 2+0 chip and where are the volume shipments?
ICF is not shipping 10nm wafers too.
We've seen ICL-Y/U ES leaks too, that doesn't mean it's going volume any time soon.

If they have CNL chips in NUCs in boxes, then I think they must have wafers...

The ICL leak was a 4c/8t chip, wasn't it?

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
The pics of the NUC were with most of the leaks.
With the other big news being the Radeon graphics with the NUC.

https://www.pcper.com/category/tags/i3-8121u
Hopefully can release something better than that in 2018. That Core i3-8121U is about as fast as 2016's 14 nm Kaby Lake Y, at three times the TDP.

Yeah, I know you can't really compare them directly with Geekbench, but still...

Last edited:

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Come on.
It's obvious.

He would be better of keeping then because after he gets fired intel stock will rise, at least in mid-term. Everyone knows he is the reason intel is in a bad spot

Yotsugi

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2017
He would be better of keeping then because after he gets fired intel stock will rise, at least in mid-term. Everyone knows he is the reason intel is in a bad spot
It's 50/50 between him and TMG execs replacing everyone with H1B's.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
High volume manufacturing of 10nm is officially delayed into 2019.

DbvAuZ4VMAAHRuq

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Wow, that's brutal, especially since they aren't even committing to 1H 2019 for HVM. Also finally admitted that not using EUV is a big part of the problem.

Sounds like the analysts beat them up good on 10 nm, good for them.

positivedoppler

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2012
Brian needs to be fired. I knew he was trouble when he had Intel focus on the Meca nonsense because his wife likes it and then the Conflict free silicon then diversity workforce.

Reactions: ksec and CHADBOGA

dahorns

Sep 13, 2013
Brian needs to be fired. I knew he was trouble when he had Intel focus on the Meca nonsense because his wife likes it and then the Conflict free silicon then diversity workforce.

Dont know how the board could justify firing him given Intel's financials and stock performance.

Reactions: ksec

CHADBOGA

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2009
Dont know how the board could justify firing him given Intel's financials and stock performance.

That is the crazy thing about what is going on at Intel.

They say that the stock market is forward looking, yet they can't see the tremendous dark clouds looming over Intel's horizon, for which BK appears to hold a lot of responsibility for.

Whenever I see a company going on with SJW nonsense, I know they are shooting themselves in the foot, and the next few years might show that BK has shot off both of Intel's feet.

ksec

Mar 5, 2010
This may be the thread to ask?

What is Whiskey Lake? And how does it differ from CoffeLake?

french toast

Feb 22, 2017
Intel is screwed with icelake, i mean H2 2019 volume? Yikes!
It better be really good as zen 2 is likely coming a few months before in volume.
Probably paper launch months early with cherry picked samples to the press.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
It better be really good as zen 2 is likely coming a few months before in volume.

I don't know if Intel will be screwed (any more than they already are). They must have their engineers pulling alot of overtime making the necessary changes to the process and possibly the silicon implementation to get Ice Lake out in HVM.

SAAA

May 14, 2014

It does look like the biggest change in years for the core architecture: they actually increased caches that have been the same size since Nehalem, only Skylake with AVX 512 dared rebalance them going for more L2 at the cost of L3 area.
By the same logic there must be more on the execution side in Icelake that requires some fundamental growth in memory to keep it feed: it's a balance of latency and size that bottlenecks a core and this time size is winning. I don't think Skylake is so close to that bottleneck to require 50% more L1 in order to achieve a couple% more IPC, we'll see what they have managed...

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
By the same logic there must be more on the execution side in Icelake that requires some fundamental growth in memory to keep it feed:

At one time I had thought perhaps it was a sign they were putting in MorphCore or something similar.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
That is the crazy thing about what is going on at Intel.

They say that the stock market is forward looking, yet they can't see the tremendous dark clouds looming over Intel's horizon, for which BK appears to hold a lot of responsibility for.

Whenever I see a company going on with SJW nonsense, I know they are shooting themselves in the foot, and the next few years might show that BK has shot off both of Intel's feet.
Dont want to derail into a financial thread, but yes, amazing how well intel stock is doing, and how strong their earnings still are. I think a lot of the "forward looking" views of Intel are based on their efforts at diversifying into other areas. But their core area is actually still data center, and it would seem Spectre/Meltdown as well as improved competition from AMD will jeopardize that area.

Reactions: CHADBOGA