Discussion Intel current and future Lakes & Rapids thread

Page 168 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
This is for, drum roll, T2 chips.

Can you run the OS on this chip?

No. There are no traces of ARM ISA in the MacOS. Show me ONE scenario where you can run the OS on this chip. OR ANY ARM CPU.

LikeLinus said:
So you're just making up that it's a "done deal" and you have no articles regarding Apple placing an order for a new chip design with AMD? You never answered the questions. It's a yes or no.
Nope

So, to quote you, "Can you stop spreading BS? Or at least stop making stuff up."

Reactions: liahos1

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
So, to quote you, "Can you stop spreading BS? Or at least stop making stuff up."
Let me quote that properly for you:

Again, show me a roadmap where Van Gogh exists?

Then I will agree that its not meaningful. If you can't Will you agree that it is a done deal, and Van Gogh is a Semi-Custom product? ;)
Prove that it is NOT semi-custom, and its not a done deal.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
You didn't quote it properly. You went back and edited your post AFTER your original post and I started my reply.

So you have no proof of any of this. I'm not here to prove your FUD. You have to prove it is even real. I can't prove something that isn't real. You are making claims that it is a "done deal" and that Apple made an order with AMD. Yet you have no proof.

FUD at this point and making stuff up.

Reactions: liahos1

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
You didn't quote it properly. You went back and edited your post AFTER your original post and I started my reply.

So you have no proof of any of this. I'm not here to prove your FUD. You have to prove it is even real. I can't prove something that isn't real. You are making claims that it is a "done deal" and that Apple made an order with AMD. Yet you have no proof.

FUD at this point and making stuff up.
So you cannot point to any Roadmap that disproves that Van Gogh is Semi-Custom APU.

Good. Now we can settle, that it is Semi-Custom product, that Apple ordered it. Thank you.

If it would be Semi-Custom product that Apple did NOT ordered, it WOULD NOT APPEAR IN APPLE KEXTS.

It is this simple. How hard for people is it to understand this?

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
One more time, for those who are thinking less bright.

If Van Gogh is not semi-custom product, it would appear on ANY AMD Roadmap.

If Van Gogh is Semi-Custom product that Apple did not ordered - it would not appear in Apple's MacOS Kexts.

Which leaves Van Gogh as Semi-Custom product that Apple ordered.

Why would you order design and manufacturing of Semi-Custom APU, that is bigger than Renoir, if you would not want to release a product with it?

We know for years that Apple is ditching Intel from their comptuers. With what options this leaves us? AMD and ARM.

Why would Apple order AMD's Semi-Custom chip if they would go to ARM?

Why would you put all of previous versions of AMD APUs into your OSes kexts? Because they are cheapest and fastest way you can test stability of the software on the hardware, and optimize if it is required.

I have put this on other forums, and I will put it once again. Try to disprove anything from this, Then I will agree, that it is not a done deal. I will say, that I was wrong.

But Im not. Apple is ditching Intel, for AMD, and Van Gogh is first shoe that has dropped. End of the story. And end of Off-Top.

P.S. Just because Apple hasn't announced anything does not mean, that ditching Intel for AMD is not a done deal at Apple. Period.

• Love
Reactions: spursindonesia

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Per forum rules "If you have FACTS on a thread, link to a reputable source and state your summation. Anything else not pertinent to a thread is probably infractionable. "

The onus is on you to prove this is a "done deal" and that Apple actually placed an order with AMD." I asked for proof and you want me to prove it for you. You're making unsubstantiated claims. Further more, you're telling others not to post FUD and saying they are lying.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
But Im not. Apple is ditching Intel, for AMD, and Van Gogh is first shoe that has dropped. End of the story. And end of Off-Top.

P.S. Just because Apple hasn't announced anything does not mean, that ditching Intel for AMD is not a done deal at Apple. Period.

OK

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
Is IA64 interchangeable with x86-64 now?
=> Intel IA64 Big Core Out Of Order cluster’s Reservation Station microarchitecture
=> adding new functionality to the simulation models for future IA64 CPUs (Willow Cove, Golden Cove, ...).

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
If Apple does go with AMD, then obviously Apple disagrees. Tiger Lake will likely be in higher volumes than Icelake but we are talking relatively speaking. OEMs are still going to be selling Whiskey in 2020 for the most part, and then Comet and later Rocket when (if?) the 14 nm shortage eases.

That would be weird, trying to sell a $5K eSports targeted machine. I don't think that would go over well.
Never underestimate pretentiousness.

FriedMoose

Dec 14, 2019
Probably a Hackintosh.

Could be, but i doubt it. Getting an ICL engineering sample with LPDDR4 to work on an old Apple motherboard would be a pretty monumental task. If it's fake it's likely spoofed.

edit: This is a reference validation platform which would mean it came straight from Intel.

Last edited:

FriedMoose

Dec 14, 2019
Nah, its either spoofed or real. There are very few people out there with RVP boards and this is probably the missing Ice Lake Y RVP board that was spotted in May.

edit: Also keep in mind RVP boards are for extremely early designs, and many products tested with them never make it to market. Google had a few ICLRVP products that were canceled.

Last edited:

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
You would think that it Apple was going to revive the Macbook with Icelake, it would have been released by now. The specs do fit the i5 1030G7.

FriedMoose

Dec 14, 2019
You would think that it Apple was going to revive the Macbook with Icelake, it would have been released by now. The specs do fit the i5 1030G7.
Since it's a RVP this could very well be a test system that found it's way to the public some how. Google had some similar Ice Lake RVP products that ended up being canceled.

However, Apple is extraordinarily slow at updating hardware in their products sometimes, so who knows?

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
MacBook Air refresh.

Yeah probably would have to be, now that I think about it. The Macbook was built for 4.5 W TDP instead of you know, 9 W. The Air was updated in July so waiting for Tiger Lake-Y would be more realistic... that is if Intel could make enough.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
I don't think there is a replacement next year. Another Skylake based refresh would be pointless.