Intel CA810 mobo upgrade to P3 850Mhz

Nov 6, 2004
Hello,

I'm thinking of upgrading some old PCs at work that are currently running Celeron 433Mhz processors on an Intel CA810 (not CA810E) mobo. We bought a P3 850Mhz processor (FCPGA w/ 100Mhz FSB), which Intel lists as the best processor this mobo can utilize (http://support.intel.com/suppo...A810/sb/CS-012832.htm. The mobo revision numbers are all either 421 or 441 (> 300), so the components should be compatible. BIOS has been successfully flashed to P12. I installed the processor on Friday and I can't get a POST. The monitor doesn't react at all but everything powers up as normal. I placed the Celeron back in and it booted fine. I noticed that the processor mount says "PPGA 370", but according to Intel the CA810 should run an FCPGA chip (http://www.intel.com/design/in...iumiii/pentiumiii.htm)

"The Intel 810 and 810E2 chipsets support the Celeron processors in FC-PGA2, FC-PGA and PPGA packages and the Pentium III processor in FC-PGA2, FC-PGA. These chipsets reduce overall system cost by integrating graphics into the memory controller. The 810 chipset optimizes system memory arbitration, similar to AGP technology, resulting in a more responsive and cost-effective system. The Intel 810E2 chipset design is extended to support 133 MHz processor side bus speeds, feature internal LAN capability as well as four USB ports, and support for ATA/100. The Intel 810 and 810E GMCHs are also validated for use with the Intel 82801E Communications I/O Controller Hub C-ICH."

Anyone have any other advice or ideas that I can try? This is my first attempt at a processor upgrade. Thanks.

rogue1979

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2001
I have had that same problem with an 810 chipset several times. The exact motherboard is listed to support the 100MHz fsb Coppermines (FCPGA) but it refuses to post with anything but a PPGA.

I never found a solution other than getting a different motherboard.

Nov 6, 2004
Thanks for the reply. May I ask what speed (or speeds) P3 you tried to use? I believe at least one of the systems may have a CA810E mobo, so maybe I can get some use out of the one processor we actually ordered if it will work with that mobo. Anyone else??

Also, can anyone explain the last line of this paragraph I found somewhere else?? It specifically mentions the CA810 as supporting some things, but what about VTT support?

"Note that due to some voltage changes and one pin change, many original Socket 370 motherboards will not accept the later FC-PGA (Flip Chip PGA) versions of the Pentium III and Celeron. Pentium III processors in the FC-PGA form have two RESET pins and require VRM 8.4 specifications. Prior motherboards designed only for the Celeron are referred to as legacy motherboards, and the newer motherboards supporting the second RESET pin and VRM 8.4 specification are referred to as flexible motherboards. Contact your motherboard or system manufacturer for information to see if your socket is the flexible version. Some motherboards, such as the Intel CA810, do support the VRM 8.4 specifications and supply proper voltage, but without Vtt support the Pentium III processor in the FC-PGA package will be held in RESET#"

More info that I found

"Q: Is the FC-PGA Pentium III processor package electrically and mechanically identical to current Intel Celeron processors?

A: No. The FC-PGA package is physically different from the PPGA package used by the current Intel Celeron processors. The pin out of the Pentium III processor in the FC-PGA package is also different from the Intel Celeron processors to allow for separate Vcc (core voltage) and Vtt (bus termination voltage) pins. However, socketed Pentium III processors will use the same PGA370 socket as the Intel Celeron processors and a motherboard can be designed to support both processors. The new Pentium III processor in the FC-PGA package will not function properly in existing PGA based motherboards that have not been specifically designed to support it. Future motherboards, if specifically designed to do so, can support both processors.

Q: What happens if you plug a Pentium III processor in the FC-PGA package into an existing PGA370 motherboard not specifically designed to support it?

A: It will not boot due to differences in the pin out. "

Nov 6, 2004
Sorry for the delay on updating this. Well I got a slocket adapter (http://www.compgeeks.com/detai...d=S370TUA&cat=CPU) and the PC now boots with the correct speed display and everything. If I run the PC with one stick of 64MB of PC100 RAM it runs without crashing. However, if I place a second stick into the system it will lock up periodically. I can reproduce this every time by loading the Add/Remove Programs applet. It will load for a few seconds, then it locks up the entire system without any error msgs or BSOD. The only solution is to power cycle. I noticed that CPUZ reports the RAM as PC125 - does that even exist or is that a program glitch. I have a single stick of 256MB PC100 RAM on order and I would like to pair it with the 64MB sticks out of the old systems. Could it be that I need to get a different slocket (Intel recommends some here -> http://support.intel.com/suppo...iii/sb/CS-007585.htm)? I guess I'm just looking for someone with experience in this area so that I can same time trying to figure it out. Thanks fellas.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I have a Dell with the CA810E chipset. It is picky about memory. It would only use PC100 CL2 modules. I never got any PC133 to work in it at 100mhz. It runs the FSB at 133 and the ram at 100. I dropped a P3 1Ghz/133 in there and had no problems.

It may not like high density ram modules. I would go to Crucial.com and use their memory selector to find out what ram the board likes.

Nov 6, 2004
i used a memory configurator at another site before I ordered the 256 chip, so we'll see how that goes.