intel c2d virtualization - big difference from a e7xxx and e8xxx?

Jul 10, 2007
planning to fiddle around with VMware workstation and running it on a e7200 which does not have VT.
the e8200+ cpu's do.

is it worth an upgrade? is it noticeably faster/better?
should i just go straight to a quad?

VM will just be an aside. my rig still mainly functions as a gaming rig.

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
How'd you even get VMware to run on a E7200? E7200 doesn't support Virtualization...

If you want to upgrade, sell your E7200 and see if you could get a nice quad core for cheap. Otherwise, get the E8400/E8500 if you plan to overclock.

jjmIII

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2001
Originally posted by: geokilla
How'd you even get VMware to run on a E7200? E7200 doesn't support Virtualization...

I think it will run it, but isn't optimized to run VM like the other chips.

Ratman6161

Mar 21, 2008
Originally posted by: BlahBlahYouToo
planning to fiddle around with VMware workstation and running it on a e7200 which does not have VT.
the e8200+ cpu's do.

Personally I live and breath VM's so for me nothing less than a quad will do. but since you say that VM's are just an aside, then no, for you the upgrade would not be worthwhile.

Probably the one thing I have found that increases performance and usability of VMs on a desktop system is to have a second hard drive dedicated to the VM's. When the VM's don't have to contend with your host OS and applications they are way more responsive. The other thing that helps a lot more than a faster CPU is more RAM.

Jul 10, 2007

If you want to upgrade, sell your E7200 and see if you could get a nice quad core for cheap. Otherwise, get the E8400/E8500 if you plan to overclock.

vm has been around well before c2d and VT.

Jul 10, 2007
Originally posted by: Ratman6161
the e8200+ cpu's do.

Personally I live and breath VM's so for me nothing less than a quad will do. but since you say that VM's are just an aside, then no, for you the upgrade would not be worthwhile.

Probably the one thing I have found that increases performance and usability of VMs on a desktop system is to have a second hard drive dedicated to the VM's. When the VM's don't have to contend with your host OS and applications they are way more responsive. The other thing that helps a lot more than a faster CPU is more RAM.

what about ESXi?

Ratman6161

Mar 21, 2008

what about ESXi?

Not a good choice for a desktop system. ESXi (like ESX server) will only run from SCSI or SAS disk drives or from a SAN. That's a lot more than you will want to spend on a system where "VM will just be an aside"

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
i run virtualbox my e7200, works probably not as fast as e8xxx but it works.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

what about ESXi?

Not a good choice for a desktop system. ESXi (like ESX server) will only run from SCSI or SAS disk drives or from a SAN. That's a lot more than you will want to spend on a system where "VM will just be an aside"

This is no longer true, as of ESXi Update 4 there is support for VMFS on ICH9 and ICH10 when running in AHCI mode.

http://www.vmware.com/support/..._i_35u4_rel_notes.html

This should work fine for an ultra-budget box but if you really want to play you need to buy better hardware.

Viper GTS

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
the e8200+ cpu's do.

Oh, cool. I can do that. Thanks for the great tip.

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006

vm has been around well before c2d and VT.

So I could run VMware Linux folding on my rig?