Intel Burn Test Temperature of overclocked Q9650 reaching 99C

Salil

Jan 15, 2003
Hello,
I overclocked my Q9650 with vCore of 1.4V, fsb speed 450 and cpu ratio of 9. I ran Intel Burn Test and my CPU temperature reached 99C but the test completed successfully. Should I consider my CPU to be stable since the test completed or should I try to reduce the temperature. Idle temperature are at 60C.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
idle 60 is high, and 99 under load is very high for a C2Q; the good thing is that normal loads will not go as high as IBT, so you should be OK in that regard... I would check the cooler and if you are not using a software that shows the wrong temp, try a few different programs like hwinfo32, aida64 and so on, they can have a different default tjmax and give you different readings, at least that happens with the 771 Xeons

anyway, if it was stable on IBT it's likely not going to crash at anything else, but at 99c I wonder if it wasn't actually already thermal throttling, check the clocks when the CPU is at 99.

Reactions: Burpo

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
60°C at idle is pretty high. Have you replaced your thermal paste? I assume it dried out after years of use. And also what kind of cooler are you using? Replacing the stock one is advisable to guarantee stable OC.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
Yikes that's high.

I have been running a Handbrake Video Encode for over an hour this morning (with realtemp recording temps) on my OC C2Q and so far only one core has exceeded 60C. So I am more like 60C under my typical max load.

When that's done, I'll try IBT and see how high it goes.

I second checking the thermal paste. I took off my HSF last year to replace a noisy fan. It had been on there for 8+ years. The fancy silver thermal compound had pretty much completely dried out. It was like sun baked grey mud. Not wanting to buy more compound I found some ancient white paste I bought at a hardware store ages ago. I think it was from when I took my college electronic tech course in 1990's. But it was still liquid. Used that and my temps went down about 5 C.

I would replace compound and probably back off a bit on the OC. I would never be comfortable with 60C idle.

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
Hope you're living somewhere that needs some heating. Had that CPU, was running 60C+ always on the stock cooler.

Salil

Jan 15, 2003
I collected data over a period of 12 hours and the average idle temperature is around 40.8 C. I think my earlier report of 60C was probably because it was just after the IBT run which might have been wrong. Should 99C during IBT concern me since my idle temps seems ot be ok? Can I get higher speeds with lower voltage thereby keeping temperatures down? My cooler is Cooler Master Hyper 212. My cooler is Cooler Master Hyper 212.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Your updated temps seem much better.Intel Burn Test is most likely the worst case scenario for your chip. Might not hurt to maybe redo the TIM in case you got a bad application. What fan speed are you running the cooler at? Single fan push/pull or dual fan? Dropping your overclock down a little probably would help as 1.4v will make the cpu run hotter.

I once pre tested a 2550k with the stock cooler @ 4.8GHz with IBT and it throttled down with no harm no foul. Needless to say under water I was able to bench a little @ 5.6GHz in the end with it.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Try to bring down your IBT temps anyway. Even though you won't hit scenarios like that very often, that's still way too hot for regular operation.

That being said, I would not recommend putting any money into the project unless it's a low-cost change to an obvious problem (bad TIM application, someone gives you a free superior HSF they had sitting in the closet, etc). That system is old enough that putting serious time/money into it is not worth the trouble.

Salil

Jan 15, 2003
I played Xcom Enemy Unknown and the temperature remained in the 70s. However, I will play over steam link in which case the CPU will be working overtime and 100% so I guess the temperature will be too high at that time. So probably I should try to run the CPU with reduced voltage of maybe 1.36? My fan speed is mostly above1700 RPM(Auto Control) at idle

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Reducing voltage would be the simplest way to bring down temps. You may lose some clockspeed though.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Decreasing Vcore until it is no longer stable, then upping a bit again is the idea. If temps are still too high, you may have to settle for a lower OC and lower Vcore.