Intel Atom....any good?????

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
The Atom should be slower in just about every way. It will however be more power efficient.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Atom is roughly equal to the Pentium 4 per clock in general performance but it might be slower in multimedia applications.

The link you have is a dual core Atom though. So the Atom might be slightly faster than the 2.6GHz P4 in well threaded apps. Everything else will be pretty much faster on the Pentium 4.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Why don't you just get them a cheap Core i3 or cheap dual-core AMD machine?

Compman55

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2010
Ok, so we will forgo the atom. I wanted to build one and reuse most of the case components.

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008
atom has horrible--near unusable--performance. i3 is pretty good and really cheap. you can get the 540 for $99 lots of places, that is the way to go

BBMW

Apr 28, 2010
Eh, I put one of the little atom nettops on my TV. Works well enough on the net and to view videos.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yea get a dual core AMD system with the 4250 onboard video. Cheap and way faster than a P4 or Atom.

You can get a dual core Dell Zino with Win7
$323 for a dual core Zino system with 2gig memory

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...on-zino-hd-410

What's the deal with Dell? I clicked that link, and it didn't even give me the option to configure it with 4GB of RAM. With a 500GB HD and 2GB of RAM and a dual-core CPU, it was like $370.
I can build a better overclockable Intel dual-core rig for the same money, and it would be faster.

Concillian

Diamond Member
May 26, 2004
What's the deal with Dell? I clicked that link, and it didn't even give me the option to configure it with 4GB of RAM. With a 500GB HD and 2GB of RAM and a dual-core CPU, it was like $370.
I can build a better overclockable Intel dual-core rig for the same money, and it would be faster.

Including a decent looking small form factor case, PSU, keyboard, mouse, and a copy of Win7 Home Premium?

h55 mobo ~$70
i3 ~$100
2GB ~$30
Win7 home premium ~$100

So $70 for:
optical drive, a decent looking small form factor case, PSU, keyboard & mouse?

I don't really think that Dell thingamabob is grossly overpriced. Plus buying something for the parents, pre-built so they can blame Dell for issues instead of calling you to get support is a big plus.

The speed isn't a huge concern for a user like that. If his parents are like mine, the looks are more important to them. The most demanding thing my parents do with their computer is a 3-way video chat to see all their grandkids while my mom is checking on what 'today's special value' is on QVC.com. Not like you need major CPU speed to accomplish that.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000

If you go to dell you can select other options (more ram, quad core cpu, better video card, etc...). I just brought that up as a good bang for the buck.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999

Once overclocked, yes it would be faster. However, if you add in EVERYTHING (as Concillian listed) then no, you can't build a better overclockable Intel rig for the same money. Heck, he even listed the rebated price for the ECS ITX board, and we all know that as a proper enthusiast we would rather buy a Dell than buy an ECS motherboard. D: And of course any proper mini ITX Core i3 overclocking must be done on the $115 Gigabyte motherboard with aftermarket cooling (modded Corsair H50 is a popular combo with the Gigabyte ITX board). Because, as an enthusiast we can't leave well enough alone and must overclock everything even if it is just to let dad check his stocks and mom to look up recipes online.

Is that enough sarcasm for one night?

nenforcer

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2008
Going from a 2.6GHz Pentium 4 Northwood to a 1.6GHz ATOM is definitely not an upgrade, its more of a sidegrade with power saving benefits.

In fact, I would not spend the money to do it.

I own an ATOM / ION platform which only became usable earlier this year when Adobe Flash 10.1 was released and hardware accelerated Flash was available.

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008
Going from a 2.6GHz Pentium 4 Northwood to a 1.6GHz ATOM is definitely not an upgrade, its more of a sidegrade with power saving benefits.

In fact, I would not spend the money to do it.

I own an ATOM / ION platform which only became usable earlier this year when Adobe Flash 10.1 was released and hardware accelerated Flash was available.

that would be a definite downgrade. the best thing you can do is get i3 with a cheapo matx board.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
Micro Center has an AMD quad + mb with decent graphics for $99. They had 4gb DDR3 (2x2) for $40. $17 for a sata dvd burner and a serviceable case for $18.

Newegg has 400w+ psus (Thermaltake, Antec, Corsair, etc.) all of the time for $20ar.

Have seen $40 500gb hds several times recently.

Not hard to build a good "parent machine" pretty cheaply right now.

CPForYou

Jan 12, 2001
I have a nice desktop already. I'm looking for real world numbers of energy draw for energy efficient PCs. I'm looking to build a PC that has three purposes:

1. File Server (for 4 users).
2. Connect to LCD TV for light Internet browsing and multimedia streaming.
3. On 24/7 for purpose of applications such as MagicJack.

So far, I'm thinking of an Intel Atom D525 1.8Ghz Dual Core w/ 4GB RAM, energy efficient hard drive, and using the built-in video card. Any others have something that would be faster, yet just as lean (or almost as lean) on power?

I've seen many views out there about power. To me, 50W is a difference when you compound it over 24 hours and 365 days is about $160 a year in energy costs in my area.

JWade

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
www.heatware.com
my three systems are now all Dell Zino HD's. all dual core, either 3gb or 4gb of ram. they are very nice machines and decent performers (get the dedicated video). last one i got off the delloutlet.com for $320 ish after a 20% off coupon, and it had the dedicated video too, 3250e processor.

Ksyder

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2006
So far, I'm thinking of an Intel Atom D525 1.8Ghz Dual Core w/ 4GB RAM, energy efficient hard drive, and using the built-in video card. Any others have something that would be faster, yet just as lean (or almost as lean) on power?

This would be much better- http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/25w-performance-pc,2551.html

I've been down the Atom road before (a couple times, didn't learn the first time) Sure, its low power but simply not very useful.

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008
dont get atom. in terms of performance it is totally awful. even the worst core 2 is going to be way faster.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Atom on a desktop pc is an abomination. Even some budget dual core athlon would take the atom out back and have its way with it.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
let me just add - the atom is indeed painful. I can't do very much...actually, I can't do anything without the system slowing me down. Maybe calculator. Its pretty funny how Intel actually went out and released this chip. I have a single core atom though - but I have it overclocked to 1.7Ghz and its still pretty bad. Maybe the dual cores are substantially faster.

BUT

I get 7 hours of battery life on it easy. Perfect for travelling. Give me the aches of having everything lag when I use it as opposed to not being able to use it because it ran out of juice three hours earlier.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Intel BOXD525MW Intel Atom D525@ 1.8GHz (Dual Core) = $84.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...442&Tpk=D525MW

Patriot Signature 2GB 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 = $22.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220424

84,99 + (2 x 22,99) = $130,97

With an SSD and Win 7 64bit it will be very nice for Internet/office work. This setup is also extremely quite (0 db) and low power usage.

If you want more performance but more expensive go with AMD Dual Core Athlon II or Intel Core i3.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Intel BOXD525MW Intel Atom D525@ 1.8GHz (Dual Core) = $84.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...442&Tpk=D525MW

Patriot Signature 2GB 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 = $22.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220424

84,99 + (2 x 22,99) = $130,97

With an SSD and Win 7 64bit it will be very nice for Internet/office work. This setup is also extremely quite (0 db) and low power usage.

If you want more performance but more expensive go with AMD Dual Core Athlon II or Intel Core i3.

Ahhh no.
If you want more performance but cheaper, faster, upgradable, and better video then go with AMD

Plenty of cheap ($30 AR) boards and cheap CPUs for a desktop that will put atom to shame.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
1. File Server (for 4 users).
2. Connect to LCD TV for light Internet browsing and multimedia streaming.
3. On 24/7 for purpose of applications such as MagicJack.

So far, I'm thinking of an Intel Atom D525 1.8Ghz Dual Core w/ 4GB RAM, energy efficient hard drive, and using the built-in video card.

Atom will work. 4GB RAM is overkill. Desktop Atom like that will probably draw in the low 30W range.

If you want lower power draw, go for a nettop. Don't know how they did it, but my Foxconn D510 nettop (since replaced by D525 model) draws around 13W (with an SSD). Maybe the PSU, since lowest wattage I have is 300W but the Foxconn comes with a 35W (PSU less efficient at really low power draw). It comes with a Broadcom CrystalHD for HD video acceleration, uses one SODIMM and is about the size of a broadband router. Only drawback would be that it uses 2.5" drives only.

Oh yeah, do you already have a MagicJack? If not, there are better alternatives, such as Ooma http://www.ooma.com/ and netTALK (http://www.nettalk.com/.

Ooma is a lot more expensive to start, but should be comparable to any premium VoIP service. It can be as cheap as around $3.50/mo, but you need to spend $200 for the hardware (a complete ARM powered embedded computer running Asterisk software). It can also do QoS if you hook it up between your modem and router, plus it has backup connectivity options for less downtime, more flexibility, etc. It can also support two lines.

netTALK uses a tiny box like MagicJack but costs a bit more at $30/year and $70 for the hardware (1 year included). Supposedly it gets a bit better sound quality, but the real kicker is that you can hook it up to your network, so you don't need to leave a computer running or depend on software (my own MagicJack is fubar'd on my server because software broke).

Last edited:

CPForYou

Jan 12, 2001
So I went w/ the following:

Foxconn D52S w/ Intel Atom D525
2GB RAM (1 x 2GB)
Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB Hard Drives (x2 RAID 1)
CoolerMaster Elite Power 350W Power Supply (old power supply laying around).

It's pulling high 40 watts with this setup. If I load it up, it reaches high 50 watts.

Is it slow? Yes it is!

Does it work? As a file server for the whole family, and hooked to a TV to stream Netflix and do light browsing, it does the job.

Now if I had only read up on the 25 watt Core i5, I might have went that route instead, but hey, I spend less than $90 for the motherboard and atom processor, and $30 for 2GB stick, $180 for the two hard drives. I used existing power supply, case, keyboard, and mouse. Not bad for spending, $300 on the build.