Intel AMT/ME

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
I have a motherboard that uses intel ME. I can get into it by pressing CTRL-P during bootup. When prompted, I type in a password. I tried 'admin' and it seemed to work. (Other passwords produced an error message so I assume 'admin' must be correct.)

But for every menu option I try it just says "please change default password before continuing". So I choose menu option 3 which is to change password. I put in several different passwords of varying strength, and it rejects all of them. So what gives? Is this some buggy mess created by intel that no one ever uses? I tried googling "please change default password before continuing" and I get nothing. So no one but me has this problem?

This is the screen I am trying to get into:

IMAGE_2.3_LAN_Controller.jpg

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
here are the password guideline that I found from the ThinkWiki

If you try to change the Intel ME password and get "Error - Intel(R) ME password change rejected" message, then you are using a weak password.

Here are guidelines for the Intel(R) ME strong password:

Comprise 8 to 32 characters
including both upper and lower case characters
including at least one numeric character
including at least one ASCII non-alphanumeric character (!, @, #, $, %, ^, &, *)

Enabling AMT in Intel Management Engine BIOS Extension

Also on that page explains what the Intel ME/ AMT functions do. Its primarily used for remote support / management. If this is just one machine, I usually turn it off in the bios

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
I tried 16 character alphanumeric with upper and lower case, but I dont think I used an underscore.:hmm: