Intel 600p M.2 drive prices have dropped like a rock since launch

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
So when Intel first released their 600p drives, and before reviews were published, places like Newegg were selling them over MSRP. For example, three days after they were available for sale, Newegg increased their price for the 512 GB version by $30 over Intel's MSRP ($199) to $230.

Getting caught up on the hype train from preview articles, I was going to order one, but since I refused to pay over MSRP for one, I didn't order one.

Fast forward about 30 days. Newegg is now selling that same drive for $132.99. That's cheaper than many SATA SSDs like the 850 EVO.

This is a reminder for me on why I am usually not one of the early adapters anymore on new products. It also reminds me a little bit of their failed i740 discreet video card in the 90's. Prior to it's release, they released the hype to the hardware sites and press (Maximum PC and the like), and talked up how awesome it was going to be compared to their competitor's offerings at the time (ATI, Matrox, S3, Nvidia, 3dfx), but it was such a dud.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah, I think that the current sale prices are a fair price for them. ($79.99 for 256GB, and $132.99 for 512GB)

I paid $109.99 for my 256GB model, and it's performing alright, although I have had one or two "pauses" while using the PC.

Was debating on getting a few more of the 512GB models. Can't really afford it now though.

Edit: They do have some "Pros", they have a five-year warranty, and Intel has adjusted the TBW spec on the drives, they're not all just 72TB, the bigger drives are like 280TB or something like that.

Now if only they would release a firmware update, that would fix their "worse-case" performance issues, and get a version of the Intel toolbox out that supported these drives.

Reactions: UsandThem

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Yeah, I think at the current price, they will move much better. If I were putting a PC together, and the speed of a standard SATA SSD was all I needed, I'd pick one up over a 850 EVO, which over the last 6 months are priced at the highest I have seen them since their launch (I think I paid $135 for a 500 GB on this time last year). They are currently $165 now, which is down a little bit from where they have been.

I agree with the much needed firmware issue. A lot of people see the review, and those "worst-case" charts stick out like a sore thumb. The only time that would affect me in a "real world" task would be doing back-ups and when I move some home videos from my back-up hard drives onto the PC for editing or messing around with them.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Guess I missed my chance, this go round. Newegg's ebay store now only lists the 256GB and the 1TB, the 512GB was sold out or de-listed.

Ah well, time to save money instead.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Guess I missed my chance, this go round. Newegg's ebay store now only lists the 256GB and the 1TB, the 512GB was sold out or de-listed.

Ah well, time to save money instead.

Newegg has the 512 GB 600p back at $130 for next 11 hours if you are still looking for one.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
If you look at the reviews you would know why...

As mentioned in my first post, I have. I even compared it to the hype of the i740 video card they released.

I just was surprised how quickly the price had fallen for an Intel product.....in roughly a month's time.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
As mentioned in my first post, I have. I even compared it to the hype of the i740 video card they released.

I just was surprised how quickly the price had fallen for an Intel product.....in roughly a month's time.

Heh, I'll try to remember to read the whole post next time I reply. But yeah, it's really a stain on the Intel name regarding SSDs.

Reactions: UsandThem

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
I think they realize between lesser name brands making competitive drives at cheap prices and Samung crushing their top drives at least for consumers in price and performance they are between a rock and a hard place.

They are similar to Apple in the sense that they don't know how to make cheap decent performing devices.

With that they might have focused their efforts with Optane so they can get back to their strength - pricey well performing products.

Reactions: PliotronX