Insurance co. now trying to pull out of policy?

DWW

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2003
If you were to hypothetically get some form of insurance from a registered insurance agent (representative) of the insurance company, is it not their duty to make sure they sell you the right type of insurance as a worker for the company?

My parents bought a policy for something (doesn't matter) and they had paid into the policy. Now they are rightfully claiming under the policy they were -sold- and the insurance agent is crapping in his pants and ignoring them. Of course the companies don't like to payout but his actions (ignoring the phone, email, fax and postal letters) kind of hint that its his fault.

DWW

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2003
A little extra information:

They have two types of policies and are claiming that he sold my parents the wrong one. But he couldn't have because my parents have the -right- one that says they are entitled to claim under its sections. Then the company and him sent us an "updated policy" all of a sudden (*cough* the one he should have sold them in the first place *cough*) and says their claim is null and void. But the papers he signed and my parents signed are right? Otherwise they bought it under false pretenses then because the "new" policy doesn't cover what they are claiming on.

And oh, by the way, we will "wave" the fee just because we are such great guys. Seems a little fishy. Giving out freebies? unlikely for no reason...

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
You have to understand the Insurance business before you complain, you see they are the only industry in the world that feels they are guarranteed a profit and work hard through lobbyists to make sure of it. When they have big payouts they simply raise everyone's rate to compensate and the law allows them to do it. Along with lawyers, insurance companies are the sphyncter of the world that is quickly clamping down around the neck of the American Dream.

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
sounds fishy but you really aren't giving us a lot of details here. what kind of policy? what was the claim for? what is the difference between the old policy and the new?

DWW

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2003
Originally posted by: PipBoy
sounds fishy but you really aren't giving us a lot of details here. what kind of policy? what was the claim for? what is the difference between the old policy and the new?

Policy was on a building. He was suppose to inspect it (costing some $$$ for his pocket) but he didn't. The one he sold was residential but its a commercial building and he -knew- it and we gave him papers stating that. He never inspected it and its been deemed condemned now by the municipal powers and the electricity was cut off thats how bad it is. There are -so- many bad construction mistakes gone into it and the policy sold to my parents, the residential policy, states he can claim on the cost to put up a duplicate sized buidling. We are talking about hundreds of errors. No work permits were even issued to put up the fscking thing and it was his job to check it out as this specific title insurance states. I won't even go in the building anymore thats how unsafe we've found it...the thing fscking shakes when I'm in there and the wind blows heh.

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
As an insurance agent, I take offense to anyone who generalizes insurance agents as bad/dishonest people. I NEVER hard sell, cold call, or sign people up for a product that isn't absolutely perfect for them. I guess I'm one of the few honest ones out there.

In any case, it is TOTALLY your parents' insurance agent's fault that this happened. He is one of the scum that give all of us a bad name, unfortunately. The best your parents can do is talk to the insurance COMPANY, not the agent. If the issue can't be resolved, then SUE. The agent has E&O insurance for this reason specifically.

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
Originally posted by: DWW

Policy was on a building. He was suppose to inspect it (costing some $$$ for his pocket) but he didn't. The one he sold was residential but its a commercial building and he -knew- it and we gave him papers stating that. He never inspected it and its been deemed condemned now by the municipal powers and the electricity was cut off thats how bad it is. There are -so- many bad construction mistakes gone into it and the policy sold to my parents, the residential policy, states he can claim on the cost to put up a duplicate sized buidling. We are talking about hundreds of errors. No work permits were even issued to put up the fscking thing and it was his job to check it out as this specific title insurance states. I won't even go in the building anymore thats how unsafe we've found it...the thing fscking shakes when I'm in there and the wind blows heh.

You want the insurance company to cover damages to the property from before you owned it? It doesn't sound like you will get anything.

DWW

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Spencer278
Originally posted by: DWW

You want the insurance company to cover damages to the property from before you owned it? It doesn't sound like you will get anything.

See that is what the TITLE insurance policy covers (and says so clearly in the text edit: text of the policy not the above ;)) that if you bought the building and it was bought in good faith and under false pretenses (shody construction), condemnable, couldn't use it and so forth that you could claim which is EXACTLY what happened because the insurance agent failed to hire (which was his obligation on the policy contract) someone to fully inspect the building and its history (for this particular policy he was suppose to). There turned out to be not -one- work permit ever on it with all the additions and so forth over the past 50 years and they were suppose to notify my parents plain and simple before they sold them the policy.