Insulin response test

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Drank a 75g glucose drink, which is basically uncarbonated clear soda but with glucose instead of sugar(citric acid, sodium benzoate were the other ingredients). The stuff still tingles.

I exceeded the directions and made sure to get nearly 150gs of carbs for 5-7 days instead. That's probably above my natural max but w/e.

I also ate a bit late the night before, around 11pm a can of Chef Boyardee pasta.

Nevertheless, I am within range, but teetering on the edge, meaning that any more than 75g of glucose would be unwise for myself.

Reference Range
Fasting: 2.0-19.6
30 Minutes Post Glucose: 6.0-86.0
60 Minutes Post Glucose: 8.0-112.0
90 Minutes Post Glucose: 5.0-68.0
120 Minutes Post Glucose: 5.0-55.0

Fasting: 6.5
30 Min: 88.6
60 Min: 102.6
90 Min: 69.2
120 Min: 22.1

Jul 27, 2020
No idea what units those are.

I normally get my readings in mg/dL.

Mine was 82 mg/dL about four hours after I had Arabic coffee with a piece of plum cake and two somewhat salty "fried pulses cake".

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
No idea what units those are.

I normally get my readings in mg/dL.

Mine was 82 mg/dL about four hours after I had Arabic coffee with a piece of plum cake and two somewhat salty "fried pulses cake".
Quest lists it as uIU/mL. This is just for insulin levels, not blood sugar.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Just doing some figuring regarding "official guidelines", such as eating 2000 calories a day, and having 40-60% those calories be carbohydrates. That equates to 250 grams of carbohydrates a day.
Three of these tests cannot even match that amount.

Reactions: IGBT

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Just doing some figuring regarding "official guidelines", such as eating 2000 calories a day, and having 40-60% those calories be carbohydrates. That equates to 250 grams of carbohydrates a day.
Three of these tests cannot even match that amount.
Don't the carbs turn into sugar??

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
A lot of the language around foods often involve words with multiple senses tied to the same term being used. The carbs in general will turn into glucose, also called blood sugar. Sugar also refers to sucrose, a molecule that has glucose and fructose bonded together.

There are three general senses of carbs, all related, but people have a tendency to shift definitions within a conversation. Glucose and sucrose are both carbohydrates in the sense that carbohydrates have carbon, oxygen, and hydrogen, and have biochemical purpose. Carbohydrate has two other senses, one in reference to carbohydrates that can be metabolized and "used", and the last being foods that happen to contain a substantial amount of carbohydrates in sense 1 and/or sense 2.

The "digestible" ones can be processed by enzymes. The ones that cannot be processed by human enzymes are broadly fiber and resistant starch. Enzymes break down complex digestible carbohydrates and convert monosaccharides like galactose and fructose to glucose. In the matter of fructose, an overabundance overloads the liver and that can then trigger conversion to fat.

One example is keto and certain vegetables, like greens. Plenty of fiber, not many digestible carbs, but without an helping hand, some might think that green vegetables should be avoided when adopting the diet. Or, a non-adopter thinks the diet specifically prescribes avoiding greens. Not the case, as fiber has no metabolic effect.

Jul 27, 2020
Yes but the rate at which different carbs are converted to sugar depends on their type. Simple carbs get converted more quickly than complex carbs. Simple carbs are more glycemic (more dangerous if you have glucose metabolism issues).