Instant messenger quirk

Ok, I've put up with this for long enough. Has anyone had this happen to them with AOL IM?

In an IM, while I'm typing, the computer will randomly select all my text. So half-way through a sentence, it gets selected, and then I hit the next key to continue the sentence, and boom. There goes my sentence into oblivion.

This usually happens at completely random times, and only with AIM. It also seems to be more frequent when talking to certain folks. I just don't know why it does this. Any hints?

DarkManX

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
I use AIM all the time, my mail communication tool, never have such problems what version are you useing?

Nutcase99

Golden Member
Dec 22, 1999
I've never had that happen to me either and I use AIM all the time. I use ICQ as well I have more problems with ICQ than with AIM but thats just me. Like for instance now I can't install the new ICQ 2000b and get it to see all my old contacts and stuff. It runs the database converter and then it says the dbconverter caused an error in kernal.exe so I dunno what to do.

mztykal

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
I use AIM all the time and I never had that happen to me. I have the latest version running now. Oh well.

Mztykal

cxim

Golden Member
Dec 18, 1999
bobtist,

why don't you uninstall AIM, run a registry cleaner & reinstall ?

You most likely have something corrupted.

goldboyd

Golden Member
Oct 12, 1999
yup, i also use aim all the time and have never had that happen to me. although it does happen to me in the netscape location bar from time to time

ltk007

Banned
Feb 24, 2000
Are you on a laptop??? That happens to me all the time cause my hand hits the touchpad and it highlights the text and I accidently delete it. Pain in the ass.

Netopia

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I've seen this EXACT thing happen to end-users at work. But not with AIM, typically with Word. Almost ALWAYS, when I have them recreate EXACTLY what they were doing when it happened, they were typing a Left-Shift - A (Capital A with the left shift button). What REALLY happened what that while typing quickly, their pinky hit the CTRL instead of SHIFT. CTRL-A is the key combo for select ALL... the next keystroke will wipe out everything you've typed.

I bet that's the case with you too... especially since it seems to follow you through versions and also why virtually no one else has seen the problem.

Joe

KotchY

Banned
Oct 21, 1999
i never had that happen. though it annoys me when u r typing a message and then somone else sendz u an im, and ur text starts to be entered in the new window :|

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
I've never had that problem. I'm having a problem with my icon, but that's it. Other people can't see my new icon, just the old one. It's making me mad.

AIM ID: DrumPerc2000

DAM

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000
i think Netopia is exactly right, ive seen that happened, and hell its happened to me too, check the posture of your hands, that might elliminate the prob.

dam()

radiocore

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2000
never happened here either, but the thing with the laptop touchpad happens to me all the time...:eek: