Instant Messages are amazing

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: AnthroAndStargate
Originally posted by: JS80
I'm pretty sure some overpaid PhDs spent millions of taxpayer money to study this.

Do you have any idea how the higher ed research system works? The two main governmental grant organizations for academic study have had their budgets slashed so much that its virtually impossible to get money from them - and if you are fortunate enough to get through the hurdle of multiple grants being passed then you get a paltry sum.

Many "overpaid PHDs" (once again - last time I checked salaries they weren't that high at most schools comparatively - unless of course you teach business) rely on outside grants and corporate funding it would seem like these days.

That's great news!

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
Originally posted by: ThePresence
Originally posted by: IcebergSlim
wait till you figure out text messaging between mobile phone lines.

You missed the point of my post.
I wasn't marvelling over this amazing technology of instant messaging.

oh no i got that part.

AnthroAndStargate

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2005
I'm pretty sure some overpaid PhDs spent millions of taxpayer money to study this.

Do you have any idea how the higher ed research system works? The two main governmental grant organizations for academic study have had their budgets slashed so much that its virtually impossible to get money from them - and if you are fortunate enough to get through the hurdle of multiple grants being passed then you get a paltry sum.

Many "overpaid PHDs" (once again - last time I checked salaries they weren't that high at most schools comparatively - unless of course you teach business) rely on outside grants and corporate funding it would seem like these days.

That's great news!

Well I disagree with you but your entitled to your opinion and I mine. I personally would prefer our nations top researchers to get the money from the NSF and NIH rather then fleeing to other countries like Singapore (and their virtually limitless research funding and lax "moralist" laws). But hey, that whole scientific innovation thing is a waste of my guberment dollars, etc. etc.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005

That's great news!

Well I disagree with you but your entitled to your opinion and I mine. I personally would prefer our nations top researchers to get the money from the NSF and NIH rather then fleeing to other countries like Singapore (and their virtually limitless research funding and lax "moralist" laws). But hey, that whole scientific innovation thing is a waste of my guberment dollars, etc. etc.

I don't see the value generated in officially documenting the sociology of instant message communications.