Installing XP Pro to SATA Hard drive w/ Gigabyte NF4 Ultra

Lord Zado

Jan 21, 2005
Hi guys...new to the forums and computer building. Having a rough time with it so far. Started off with a dead PSU and now I can't install the operating system.

I'm trying to install XP to a 74 GB WD Raptor. I've searched these and other forums and found out that this appears to be a driver issue. I'm using the new Gigabyte nForce 4 Ultra board. I saw one post for an older Gigabyte motherboard that said to go into the "BootDrv" folder on the utilities CD that came with the motherboard and click the menu.exe program. This program will load drivers onto a floppy. I contacted Gigabyte support and they told me this motherboard uses the nVidia Raid Controller. So I put the nVidia Series ATA(XP) drivers on a clean floppy, loaded up my new machine, pressed F6 to load the drivers...feeling good about myself...I continued along and then an error message popped up saying "Please check for viruses. Please remove any recently installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Please check to make sure your hardware is configured correctly." The hard drive is recognized by the nVidia RAID utility, so I am guessing it is configured correctly. I read some other posts on this motherboard where people were having trouble with Maxtor SATA drives. I have another e-mail in to Gigabyte support, but they have not responded in 4 days, so I am hoping you guys can help. Thanks in advance.

helpmeout

Sep 24, 2001
Not familiar with that board, but doesn't it have the Silicon chip? You need to install the Silicon SATA/Raid drivers at F6.

Lord Zado

Jan 21, 2005
I thought it had a Silicon chip at first. I guess I should've said that in the first post. I installed the silicon drivers and got the error message before I intially contacted Gigabyte support. Then they said it was an Nvidia chip.