Installing ULi SATA RAID on existing Shuttle system

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
The ST20G5 and a lot of other Shuttle models support SATA RAID 0, 1, etc... but force you to install the driver from a floppy diskette while doing the Windows install. I have a system below already running and am not in the mood to do a full re-install just to get the ULi RAID up and running, but I really want the RAID 1 for data security.

Are there any solutions out there?

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
I seem to have solved the problem. It took a lot of work, but essentially, downloading the drivers, opening the Device Manager, selecting the ULi 1573 RAID device (it will show the drivers as not being installed) and forcing installation of the ULi drivers seems to work. You will be prompted by Windows for certain drivers like m5287.sys even if the newer drivers from Shuttle, ULi or other places have newer versions. Gigabyte has the correct version that can be downloaded for free.

After downloading, Open the ZIP files and copy the files into a new directory, and direct the Device Manager to load the files it needs from there. (DO NOT spend money at some of these bogus driver sites that have the nerve to charge money to download drivers they themselves never produced - they are profiting off someone else's work. Their sites pop up on Google when you enter specific driver filenames as the search criteria. Again, those sites are a rip-off!)

After driver installation, reboot and enable the RAID system from the BIOS. Restart again, and you will be prompted by the system to configure the RAID utility before Windows boots. This utility is optional. If you are running an IDE drive in your Shuttle you will need to clone your IDE hard disk onto a SATA drive. When that's done, set that drive as boot, add the second SATA drive, configure the RAID and you're done.

If you are already running SATA, simply plug in the second hard drive into the Shuttle auxilary SATA controller. The disk should be the same size as your boot drive for effective use of RAID 1.

For RAID 0, the disks can be of any size. The ULi RAID system supports only RAID 0 and 1, and some other capabilities I haven't explored yet. But the ST20G5 does offer hardware RAID support, and it is possible to set it up on an existing installation!