Installing SSD (ide, ahci)?

Mysterion

Feb 16, 2017
Hi anandtech

Once again I turn to you in despair. English is not my native language and since I am not experienced with computers I hope my description is sufficient to pass an understanding of my issue.

Recently I have been helping a friend installing a SSD and I did a fresh install of Windows 7 on the drive in ahci mode. The computer has a ssd boot drive and a 2tb hdd with two partitions (the old boot drive and a partition for data storage). However when booting the computer crashes at the Windows logo. Unplugging the hdd I am able to boot the ssd with no problemss. I am also able to boot the hdd in ide mode.

My first question is: Are you able to have different modes for the boot drive (ahci) and the storage drive (ide)?

After installing the SSD and reading about ide and ahci I discovered that my own ssd is in ide mode. Back then I did a data transfer with my Samsung 850 evo ssd and formatted my old hdd. I now have a ssd as boot drive and a partitioned hdd. I know that i cannot just switch bios from ide to ahci however I read that it might be able to switch modes even after installation (regedit was required if I am right). However I encountered different opinions regarding if it would be safe (datawise). I might add that I am running Windows 10.

My second question is: Are you able to change mode from ide to ahci post installation?

Finally would the change be noticable to an ordinary user and a gamer?

Thanks in advance.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
First question: No, but why would you want to? AHCI is better for both.

Second question: Yes. If you're using the Windows AHCI/IDE driver, then you should be able to switch from one mode to the other. If you're using a third party storage driver, then there are other possible outcomes.

Third question: AHCI should be faster in any scenario.

Mysterion

Feb 16, 2017
Thanks for your fast reply. I guess the first question was dependent on the second. If I was unable to switch between the modes and needed to reinstall, it would be quite the Work. Not for me, but for my friends pc. He might would have wanted to run the two in different modes and keep the hdd in ide rather than have to reinstall.

Edit: how to i check which kind of driver I have?

Last edited:

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
"My first question is: Are you able to have different modes for the boot drive (ahci) and the storage drive (ide)?"

No, I have never heard of a mainboard designed to have PATA/IDE and AHCI enabled simultaneously

.Get the data from the HDD and keep it as a door stop/backup.
----------------------------------------------------------------
My second question is: Are you able to change mode from ide to ahci post installation?

If one just changes the bios switch to AHCI, Windows will not boot.
There are two ways to avoid a reinstall, one a manual fix, which I used back in the day but which still works :

https://www.neowin.net/news/neowin-guide-how-to-change-from-ide-to-ahci-without-reinstalling-windows

And using a command prompt which I have not tried :

http://triplescomputers.com/blog/un...ch-windows-10-from-raidide-to-ahci-operation/

------------------------------
Finally would the change be noticable to an ordinary user and a gamer?

Immediately, likely not, but eventually yes since AHCI will enable the OS to TRIM the SSD resulting in better performance.

Mysterion

Feb 16, 2017
Hi Jforce. Thanks for the reply and links. I will try immediately. In my situation with both a ssd and hdd in ide mode, will this fix it for both? Or do have to do something else for the hdd which is not the boot drive?

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
If you are in ide with both drives recognized, you may be better off to leave it as it is, since switching to AHCI will put you in the same position as your friend with only one working drive.

Mysterion

Feb 16, 2017
I made the change on the rig with one ide and one ahci and it worked. Both is now recognized as ahci. I would like to change my setup aswell since ahci is overall better than ide (as far as I know). I understand to switch the ssd from ide to ahci however I don't know how to change it for the hdd I have.