Installing Office365 on your PC, using a Microsoft ID, with a University or work e-mail, can be hazardous to your local Admin privs!

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

Gotta be careful when linking Office365 accounts with personal PCs. On the account link process itll ask, let this group set rights on this PC. The moment you do that, that PC settings are no longer yours to control. If the admin on the O365 sets a rule to the computers, your computer also will get it.
Its the biggest pain in the ass. I've done it by accident and did a re-install of my PC to bloody remove.
Scary stuff folks. Install Office365, they take over and control your PC!

Last edited:

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I guess it is a good thing there are free alternatives to MS office out there.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Sorry for picking up the thread, but since when do we have such thoughts? Do you think Microsoft could do something like this?

In say a corporate environment there is very much a common notion of keeping admin privileges only to those who need it (e.g. IT tech staff), so of course there will be provisions in Windows group policy to facilitate the transfer/maintenance of user rights. What happened in the OP however seems to be a spill-over from IT security policy on the local university network over to students' own personal laptops. It's all perfectly plausible, so I'm having trouble understanding why you would question it on a technical or moral basis.