Installing new vid card: Procedure?

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
I haven't done this in a long time and I don't know what (if anything) has changed.

I currently have an A10 Kaveri system. I've been using the on-die graphics up till now. I'm replacing that today with a discrete unit (R9 270X).

I know a few years back (I guess many years now), the common procedure was to wipe drivers, install the card, and then reinstall drivers.

Is this still the procedure? If so, what tools do I use? If not, what is the new procedure?

Thanks.

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
Yep. Technically, you could get away with just installing the card and not worrying about the drivers, since the drivers are the same. If you're concerned about potential issues, though, you should reinstall them. However, whatever you do, DO NOT USE AMD'S CLEAN INSTALL UTILITY! It wipes all AMD drivers, rather than just the graphics.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
If you already have the latest drivers installed and you are upgrading to the same vendor's video card, then all you have to do is simply power off the system and pop in the new card. Reboot with the new card and the drivers will recognize it and tell you what to do (usually reboot).

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
In this case, I think that I would update the drivers first and THEN install the card. Otherwise, you can't guarantee that you have the latest supported drivers available for that new card. It should also help the two cards get along if you were trying a Crossfire like setup where the Embedded graphics supplement the add-on card.

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
Thanks for the suggestions.

It turns out that I will not be getting this card today. UPS shows as "Delivered" yet there is no box. Unrelated, but a pain nonetheless.