Installing custom rom, no ‘install zip from sdcard’ option?

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
I'm trying to install CM10 on my Samsung Galaxy S.

I have clockwork mod recovery installed, and I selected reboot to recovery mode from there.

Then in recovery mode, there's no option for ‘install zip from sd card’

Where did I mess up?

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
I am pretty sure I have run into a similar situation but I have no idea how I fixed it because I was basically searching and reading various "guides" without knowing anything about it.

Can you see if you can put some random .zip files in /sdcard/ under normal boot and see it from recovery mode? (just to see if they show up)

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
I thought some of the newer CWM versions say something like install from internal storage, or install from external storage.

NM, I looked. Should be on the main opening screen. Maybe try flashing recovery again, or a different version.

Last edited:

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
I found out that I could install zip from sd with the "reinstall packages" option from the system recovery menu.

I tried installing a package that way by following these instructions,
http://androidspin.com/2010/09/23/overclock-add-some-voodoo-to-your-samsung-vibrant/

But now I bricked my phone, reboots into recovery mode and gets stuck at installing Muti-CSC all the time.
I googled some more and found someone who had the same issue and was able to fix it with this thing called Odin.

But it won't go to download mode when I follow the instructions.

So now I had to buy this usb dongle hack that will force it to go to download mode.

LOLOLOL FML

Last edited:

MarkLuvsCS

Jun 13, 2004
This is why I wait until users, *cough* test bunnies :), try out software updates before I attempt them on my phone. I'm not familiar or confident enough to get my phone from a borked state back to working... heh

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Wow, a Galaxy S is nearly impossibru to break. Congrats. :thumbsup:
]

Oh... I see what you did. You installed a kernel that's incompatible with your rom and filesystem. You're going to need to Odin with re-partition.

Easiest way to get into download/Odin mode:
Disconnect USB
Remove Battery
Press both volume keys
Connect USB (connect other end to PC USB port)
Insert battery
The phone will boot into Download mode

These instructions are only for the Vibrant. If you don't have a Vibrant ( you haven't specified which device you have), you'll need to find other instructions.

Last edited:

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Those instructions to get into download mode should be for any S variant. Sounds like the same ones for my Fascinate although I never bothered inserting the battery. As soon as you plug in the USB cable the phone will power on and go to download mode.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
Wow, a Galaxy S is nearly impossibru to break. Congrats. :thumbsup:
]

Oh... I see what you did. You installed a kernel that's incompatible with your rom and filesystem. You're going to need to Odin with re-partition.

LOL yeah he just soft bricked it. Odin should fix it as you indicated. He installed it without a recovery kernel installed.

Either way those instructions should work for most of the the Galaxy S variants. Some are vol down + power, and some are something else. OP, post what phone you have. However, the battery shouldn't need to be removed or anything...

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Thanks for the tips. I was just able to fix it with odin.

My phone wasn't going into download mode before, but luckily there's a little usb dongle you can buy for those cases and it'll force it into download mode. I picked one up from ebay for $4 and I just reset my phone. :)

EDIT: Nevermind, it's not fixed yet. It said factory reset successful, and it started booting up. But after the Galaxy S logo finishes, it goes blank and nothing happens. Maybe I need to try a different ODIN image?

I tried the one from this link...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=13132341#post13132341

Last edited:

farsat.faris

Aug 23, 2013
Hello Can anyone help me ?
I have broke my andriod chinese phone and when i copied update.zip file into my phone sd card it did not show any option says install zip from sd card in my recovery menu plus the phone is not booting into my stock rom what can i do ?
also my phone is Haier W910 .

farsat.faris

Aug 23, 2013
Can i backup rom from another phone just like mine into an sd card and then recover my phone using that Backup ?