installing battery tender - connection points question

Status
Not open for further replies.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
So I'm installing a permanent battery tender (this one).

I've got it mounted in the engine bay. The instructions call for the positive O-ring/lead to connect directly to the positive terminal of the battery, and the negative to connect to a body ground point or the engine block.

However, I can't find a suitable point anywhere within reach of the negative cable. Would it be terrible if I just connected it to the negative battery terminal bolt? It's all the same "Node" in the circuit, isn't it?

car is a 2008 acura RL, and the tender is mounted to the right of the battery as you face the car.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Can't find a ground strap?

I'd probably just connect it to the negative terminal honestly, lol.

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
So I'm installing a permanent battery tender (this one).

I've got it mounted in the engine bay. The instructions call for the positive O-ring/lead to connect directly to the positive terminal of the battery, and the negative to connect to a body ground point or the engine block.

However, I can't find a suitable point anywhere within reach of the negative cable. Would it be terrible if I just connected it to the negative battery terminal bolt? It's all the same "Node" in the circuit, isn't it?

car is a 2008 acura RL, and the tender is mounted to the right of the battery as you face the car.

Thanks!

There should be a ground strap coming off the negative battery cable. just follow it it a ways...

if you can't find it off the cable, you could find just about any bolt coming off the engine itself. most cars have multiple grounding points coming off the motor.

but if all else fails, you will be fine grounding it to negative battery terminal

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
You can either lengthen the wire so it reaches, or just go ahead and connect it right to the battery.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
there was a ground strap unfortunately getting to the nut behind it would have required taking off the bumper

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, screw that. Battery terminal will be fine.

Sent from my Inspiron 7010 using the keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.