Installing a new OS

SnipeMasterJ13

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2004
Wrong thread I know, but I'm not getting any answers over in OS.

I used a boot disk from a 98 machine and used that to Fdisk everything on the harddrive. I've done this before and installing 2000 Pro or XP, should automatically format the drive if i remember correctly. It won't do that, so I formatted using the floppy, and still it will not read anything in the CD-Rom drive. I've tried booting with the 98, 2000 and XP disc in the tray and it just brings up: Microsoft(R) Windows 98 (C) Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1999, and brings up the C:\> prompt.

Any help to what my problem is? Thanks in advance for the help.

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
Sounds like it's either not set to boot off the CD in the BIOS, or the cdrom drive is bad.

<obligatory>
Wrong forum!
</obligatory>

gsaldivar

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2001
Are you sure your BIOS is set to boot from CDROM?

If so, you should be able to simply pop in the XP CD, boot, format and install. :)

Nick5324

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Heisenberg
Sounds like it's either not set to boot off the CD in the BIOS, or the cdrom drive is bad.

<obligatory>
Wrong forum!
</obligatory>

Yep

bernse

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
Originally posted by: gsaldivar
Are you sure your BIOS is set to boot from CDROM?

If so, you should be able to simply pop in the XP CD, boot, format and install. :)

That's your problem. It isn't set to boot from D (or whatever your CD/DVD ROM is)

cirrhosis

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2005
Originally posted by: cobalt
Originally posted by: cirrhosis
Is this the noob forum or OT? You should go to General Hardware.

NOOB. He should go to Operating Systems.

He already said he posted in Operating Systems but no one responded.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003

He posted it at:06/17/2005 03:38 PM

GIVE IT TIME NOOB.

SnipeMasterJ13

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2004
Such a small problem and people just freak out due to the wrong forum. It was the BIOS, and it was one of those setups with the logo screen and never tells which key to hit to enter the settings, which is what threw me off. And yeah I posted in OS 10 minutes ago, and didn't get anything right away, compared to in here where the answers come out a little quicker. Thanks to those who actually helped me with my minor problem, and those jackasses for the usual responses that make ATOT what it is. Gotta love it. :)

SnipeMasterJ13

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2004
Originally posted by: Phoenix86

GIVE IT TIME NOOB.

Sorry, I don't have the time to sit around and wait a half hour for an answer, like some of you guys must have.

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
gotta set it to boot off of the cd. if you are going to install an older OS then just type d:, then setup.

gsaldivar

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2001
Originally posted by: SnipeMasterJ13
Thanks to those who actually helped me with my minor problem, and those jackasses for the usual responses that make ATOT what it is. Gotta love it. :)

Don't take things so personally, dude. Flaming here is only a sure way to ensure you get a zero response next time. :)

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
The point is there are specific forums for specifc reasons. If you think your problem is that much more important than everyone elses, and your time so much more precious, I would suggest calling MS Tech Support if you have a problem that needs immediate attention. I'm SURE this is a retail copy licensed to you correct?

It would seem that by your theory that you wanted to get as quick a response as possible (and dont we all on everything we post from comments to life changing decisions) there should be one forum so EVERYONE would have to view everything and just by the shear volumen of traffic you'd certainly get a quicker response. However, that doesn't work now does it because the shear volume that would get your question seen faster would also push your question to the bottom of the list and off the front page more quickly. Thus the CRAZY idea of seperate forums for seperate purposes.

But I guess you are above the rules because your problem is URGENT!!!

SnipeMasterJ13

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2004
Originally posted by: gsaldivar
Thanks to those who actually helped me with my minor problem, and those jackasses for the usual responses that make ATOT what it is. Gotta love it. :)

Don't take things so personally, dude. Flaming here is only a sure way to ensure you get a zero response next time. :)

LOL, I definately wasn't taking it personally. I might not have been around as long as most others, but I've definately noticed basically everyone gets reamed, or an argument starts. Which is one of the main reasons it is fun to read/post here. Hence, the smile face I put in there. ;)

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
hey I haven't gotten a response yet. Its been 6 mins! I better put this in P&N so I get an answer....

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: MrChad
Wrong thread I know, but I'm not getting any answers over in OS.

You posted in OS 10 minutes ago. :roll:

Like I know..I can't believe he waited long

<--only waits 10sec before he plagues OT with his dubious questions:D

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003

GIVE IT TIME NOOB.

Sorry, I don't have the time to sit around and wait a half hour for an answer, like some of you guys must have.

Oh, well then I'll give you a refund.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Edit: This post has been removed because the OP has recieved a refund, and services rendered are no longer provided.

MUAHAHAHAH