Installing 6pin power on 8pin for PCIe 2.0?

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
I have a FireGL 7600 card with the 8pin power adapter.
My PSU only has a 6 pin adapter. It seems to work ok now.
I am getting a few BSoD randomly, but I have little idea as how much that has to do with the graphics card, if anything.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Well if it is like the 2900 series, there is only one way to plug it in :p

the BSoDs are not right, however

give us the rest of your rig's specs

Latest Drivers? everything up to date? What was your Video card BEFORE this one?

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
I got a dell inspiron with Q6600 Core2Quad, Vista ultimate, ATI HD2400Pro graphics.
I swapped out the power supply with a 500W Antec Earthpower and swapped the graphics card out with the FireGL 7600 first thing when getting the computer. The computer never started with the HD2400Pro.

I'm quite certain the drivers are the latest.
First thing I did after windows started was to download and install the new catalyst drivers.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: astroidea
I got a dell inspiron with Q6600 Core2Quad, Vista ultimate, ATI HD2400Pro graphics.
I swapped out the power supply with a 500W Antec Earthpower and swapped the graphics card out with the FireGL 7600 first thing when getting the computer. The computer never started with the HD2400Pro.

First thing I did after windows started was to download and install the new catalyst drivers.
sound like it is more than just the Graphics card ...
... dell inspiron ...?
-a notebook?
:confused:

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Originally posted by: apoppin
Originally posted by: astroidea

sound like it is more than just the Graphics card ...
... dell inspiron ...?
-a notebook?

Seems like there's a misunderstanding here.
Dell Inspiron also covers their desktop line of computers.

The computer never started with the HD2400Pro because I swapped it out with the FireGL the first thing when I got the computer.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
i see ... i had an inspiron dell notebook ... way back when ... i don't think they had a desktop line with that name then

anyway, put the 2400p back in to see if there is a problem with your rig or the FireGL card

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
It hasn't crashed yet in the past three days.
I just want to know if a 6pin would limit the card