Info Installed W11 on 'unsupported' CPU results

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Installed Windows 11 Pro as an upgrade (over 10) on HP Elite Desk 705 G3 with non-supported AMD PRO A10-8770 CPU (upgraded from A6-8570), after editing the registry to bypass the Win11 supported hardware checking enforcement. This system has discrete TPM 2.0 chip from Infineon, which I made sure was enabled in UEFI/BIOS. The exact method I used was to download the install bits for Windows 11 to create a USB drive then just ran 'setup' from the USB drive, not using the upgrade "app".

It warned me the CPU did not meet requirements but offered the bypass option 'I understand but proceed anyway', something like that. Unexpectedly, I didn't need to jump through any hoops to install as a local account. It gave the option to 'use local account' in the lower corner of the screen that asks for a Microsoft account/email. I think because setup detected I was using a local account in Windows 10.

After playing around for a couple weeks, everything appears to be working fine. AMD even appears to have posted a newer driver (for the integrated graphics) to Windows Update than available from it's own website. Windows Updates downloaded and installed. I did install and successfully test 3DMark, 11, and Vantage, PC Mark suite, CrystalDiskMark, FireFox, Edge Chromium, and a few other things. I have not tried any MS apps that require MS account to use, and as mentioned, did not connect my user account to any of Microsoft's services, so I can't say whether there would be any problem with those.

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
Unexpectedly, I didn't need to jump through any hoops to install as a local account. It gave the option to 'use local account' in the lower corner of the screen that asks for a Microsoft account/email. I think because setup detected I was using a local account in Windows 10.
Why should it be unexpected? W11 pro has ALWAYS allowed the setup of local accounts. You can also set up a local account with 11 home, but you have to jump through some hoops.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Why should it be unexpected? W11 pro has ALWAYS allowed the setup of local accounts. You can also set up a local account with 11 home, but you have to jump through some hoops.
Good to know. I keep seeing articles about Microsoft making it harder to create local account during user setup, with each major OS since Windows 8, but haven't really read them beyond the headline or preface/blurb to understand it never applied to PRO editions.