Installed memory impact on hypermemory gfx

Comdrpopnfresh

Golden Member
Jul 25, 2006
I have a dell e1505 w/ an ATI x1400 mobility gfx card, and 512mb ddr2-533 installed. I beleive it has 128mb installed, and through hyper memory, can use another 128 from system ram.

My question is, will installing more system memory improve graphics performance? Supposedly, my system can accept up to 2gb of ddr2-667. With a reboot, and ending nonessential programs, I can run CSS with somewhat playable performance (with all options off).
I am also interested in overclocking the card. I currently use ati tray tools, but since installing it, have noticed that my laptop no longer turns off the display upon closing. I'm concerned about heat and damaging the card too.

Which is going to be more effective? Overclocking, or adding more system ram? Would it be worthwhile to still overclock after adding more ram?

Any info/input, or links on the matter would be appreciated.

Cheers,
ComdrPopnfresh

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I don't know how well your video card will use the extra ram (if it'll make a difference or not... my guess is not much) but I'd be willing to bet you'd see a large benefit by adding more ram. Right now you are basically gaming on 384MB of memory (512-128 for video card). I imagine that is holding you back a lot.

*edit - I think I read it wrong... you have 128MB on your video card and 512MB system memory. You *can* add anohter 128 to the video card from the system memory. My guess is that'll hurt you more then anything as you'll be losing a lot of system memory. Add more memory then try it out and see.

SergeC

May 7, 2005
"Right now you are basically gaming on 384MB of memory (512-128 for video card). I imagine that is holding you back a lot."

Strongly agree with this. That's nowhere near enough for gaming.

Comdrpopnfresh

Golden Member
Jul 25, 2006
My question might seem something other than what it is...
I know that installing more memory would in general improve the graphics- on any computer. But I'm wondering if it would improve the graphics capabilities.

So, yes, I understand adding more ram to a system always improves performance, with diminishing returns the higher you go. So take that from the equation.
  • Will having more ram speed up the abilities of the graphics card?
I'm sitting on firefox, and the task manager reads slightly over half my memory being used. I guess it's possible hypermemory has never initiated on my system. I don't think it could. CSS has gotta take more ram than firefox (88mb currently), and I don't see hypermemory setting in when the amount it allocates is >50% of available free.
  • Does anyone know if hypermemory variably allocates? Or does it do 128mb or nothing?
  • Whether is does or doesn't, say I install 2gb of ram, and every time I play css from then on the card can easily take the 128 and then have 256 at it's disposal. What impact would this have?
Is a 4-pipe card like the x1400 starving for memory @ 128mb installed, or would I only see an improvement at higher resolutions/AA- the things more gfx memory typically effects?