Installed HD3450 512MB, now integreted audio is gone

BubbaBooBoo

Jul 29, 2008
I just installed a HD 3450 512 MB in a Lenovo J3000 with integreted audio on the mobo. Everything was fine before the install and now everything is working fine but since I instaled the videocard, I have had no sound out of the speakers at all. I tested the speakers on anothr computer and theyre fine. After I instaled the video card, I had a install wizard show up to tell me to instal Microsoft UAA Audio, but it couldnt find the hdaudbus.sys file. I found it in a WINDOWS folder and instaled it. Still nothing. I went to the Lenovo site and instaled their latest Audiomax. Still nothing. The Soundmax control shows everything is working fine. The Device Maneger says that everything in sound is working

ATI function driver for high def audio ATIAA01
Audio Codacs
Legecy Audio Drivers
SoundMAX integrated digital HD audio

everything else is working but it shows that SM Bus Controller is not. When I try to reinstall driver it says it cannot install.

Why woudl putting in an new video card kill my sound? Im realy bugged by this as its taken up half my day. anyone help?

BubbaBooBoo

Jul 29, 2008
You got it. Absolutely right. Thank you very much. It had defaultted to the ATI HDMI sound! It really would be nice if ATI actualy had an instruction manual that said something anything! What they include in the box is useles. For example do i need to plug in the card to a power cable or just let it draw from the slot????

BubbaBooBoo

Jul 29, 2008
Id realy like to know if i need to plug in the HD 3450 512MB card to a power cable or just let it draw from the slot. Thanks!

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
No, none of the 3450s even have an external power connector.

BubbaBooBoo

Jul 29, 2008
Are you sure? There seems to be one at the extreme top right hand side. its a six pin with three above and three below. sure looks like power but what the hell do i know?

ViRGE

Oct 9, 1999
Well if you could find a picture of the card, we could be sure. The Radeon 3450s I've seen are all like this. It's a low-end card, it has no need for external power.

BubbaBooBoo

Jul 29, 2008
You can see the conector pretty clearly in some of these pics.

Link to test

and btw i was wrong its only three pins in a row, not six. Mine is the same as this card except its 512MB. i dont know if that makes a difference. Thanks!

ViRGE

Oct 9, 1999
3 pins in a row is not a power connector, that's a jumper block for internal use. So you don't need to do anything beyond plugging it in to PCIe slot.