Install Windows Media Center on Windows 10

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I have one comp I wouldn't mind upgraded to 10 that I use WMC to view WMC recorded files from so would be interested in trying if I hear good things.

Normally, a computer without WMC won't have the codecs to play WTV files; however, VLC can play them. So, unless you absolutely want the 10-Foot UI, you still have a way if you really want to upgrade.

nickbits

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2008
Normally, a computer without WMC won't have the codecs to play WTV files; however, VLC can play them. So, unless you absolutely want the 10-Foot UI, you still have a way if you really want to upgrade.

WTV files will play if they are H264 encoded OOTB. MPEG2 will require a codec.

The directshow filters that create WTV files are also included as part of the regular install.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001

hence my interest in if this trick getting wmc installed on win10 works.

country2

May 1, 2001
I might try it next weekas I'm on vacation but going to check first to make sure all my hardware has a chance of working in w10 as its old and had to do some trickery just to get w7 to install.As I use it to record from dish and use ir to change channels so want to be sure all functions I use works not just playback.

Sep 12, 2004
This doesn't seem much different from those that installed WMC in one of the Windows 10 beta releases. It would appear that they simply created an installer package to make the process easier.

According to MS a Windows 10 version with WMC will appear to be illegally installed software and will fail to update in the future. Whether or not that claim has any teeth, I have no idea. For anyone who does this install let us know if that is the case.

country2

May 1, 2001
According to MS a Windows 10 version with WMC will appear to be illegally installed software and will fail to update in the future.

I hope that is referring to WMC and not w10...waite...if that means wmc does that mean guide wont update also?

Sep 12, 2004
From what I've read, W10 won't update. No idea if WMC will update.

If you want to run WMC in Win 10 the best way is probably to do it in a VM running Win 7. It requires some workarounds but can be done.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
This doesn't seem much different from those that installed WMC in one of the Windows 10 beta releases. It would appear that they simply created an installer package to make the process easier.

According to MS a Windows 10 version with WMC will appear to be illegally installed software and will fail to update in the future. Whether or not that claim has any teeth, I have no idea. For anyone who does this install let us know if that is the case.

If MS blocks updates to 10 if they detect WMC installed then that could be a way to stop Windows Update from running unless you want it to. Install WMC to block updating, temporarily remove it to update.

:biggrin:

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
From what I've read, W10 won't update. No idea if WMC will update.

If you want to run WMC in Win 10 the best way is probably to do it in a VM running Win 7. It requires some workarounds but can be done.

If you do this in a VM, use networked tuners like the HDhomerun. Hardware tuners can be a problem in a VM.

Then again, just...don't..."upgrade" and you will be fine. :)

Sep 12, 2004
If MS blocks updates to 10 if they detect WMC installed then that could be a way to stop Windows Update from running unless you want it to. Install WMC to block updating, temporarily remove it to update.

:biggrin:
Hehe

A better way to prevent updates to 10 is to not install it in the first place. I have it on my laptop and haven't found any compelling reason to upgrade my other Win7 systems.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that by the time MS comes out with Win12 or 14 they will have some kind of media center replacement available. I don't tend to be superstitious, but there's no way I'll install Win13.