Install laptop hd on xbox 360?

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by thestrangebrew1, Nov 28, 2012.

1. thestrangebrew1

thestrangebrew1 Platinum Member

So I just recently found out that in order to play online games like halo and BO2 you have to have a hard drive. I'm not a console gamer so my son informed me of this when he was complaining that he can't play online. So I fig'd ok, can't be that hard. Did some googling and found that you can potentially use a laptop drive or you can go with Microsoft's "Certified" hds which is priced ridiculously.

I have a spare WD 250gb hd, which according to this post:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1204909/can-i-use-3rd-party-2-5-hard-drive-with-xbox-360

meets 1 of the model #s suggested that will work on the xbox. (I have the WD2500BEVS model)

I've found some links on how to do it, but these seem kinda dated. If I swap out the drives using the hd hackr method, will this ban my son from xbox live? Is this pretty easy to do? Are there more up to date instructions on how to swap the hd? Should I just fork out the cash for a "certified" hd?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Install laptop xbox Forum Date
    2x One consoles installing same game using 1x game disk? Console Gaming Nov 29, 2016
    Xbox One & Laptop Console Gaming Apr 10, 2016
    The Xbox experience: Install and Noise Test Console Gaming May 5, 2015
    Playstation 3 and Devil May Cry 4 install issues. Solved Console Gaming Mar 11, 2014
    GTA V: Rockstar Doesn't Recommend Installing Play Disc on Xbox360 Console Gaming Sep 16, 2013

3. exdeath

exdeath Lifer

Wont this get the box banned on XBL? If that wasn't an issue I'd have a 512GB SSD in my 360 like 2 years ago.

4. thestrangebrew1

This was my main concern. Just haven't found anything definitive or recent. I'll keep digging.

EDIT: Is it possible to use just a 16gb thumbdrive to increase the storage to play games online?

#3 thestrangebrew1, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  5. Durvelle27

Durvelle27 Diamond Member

yes it is possible that you will get banned so stick with certified drives only.

Edit: Yes you can use thumbdrives to expand storage i use a 16GB myself along with my 250GB HDD

6. exdeath

exdeath Lifer

Note that USB 2.0 will be capped at 30-35 MB/sec but this is *still* leaps faster in transfer rate and random access time over the optical drive.

7. RedRooster

RedRooster Diamond Member

Just use the USB key, they say 32gb is the limit now. And there's the old style 120gb Xbox hds that can easily be adapted to work with the slim, for super cheap on Craigs list. I couldn't sell mine for $15 even, they're worthless, but a great cheap upgrade for you 4gb owners.

8. thestrangebrew1

Thanks guys. I plugged in a usb stick and was able to install the Halo 4 disk 2 on it so he can at least play some of the maps. Haven't fooled around with xbox live yet.

9. triton2k3

triton2k3 Member

You can only use upto a certain size and speed hard drive. It's not worth it.