Install FAH as a service under Windows 7?

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
My mother in law got a new low end computer (Win 7 64 bit, 3 GB, Pentium E6700. built in graphics) and I'd like to install FAH on that box. I'd like it to be as simple as possible, preferably a service invisible to her.

My google search wasn't too productive. Is there a way to do this, and if so how and which FAH client to use?

theAnimal

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
My mother in law got a new low end computer (Win 7 64 bit, 3 GB, Pentium E6700. built in graphics) and I'd like to install FAH on that box. I'd like it to be as simple as possible, preferably a service invisible to her.

My google search wasn't too productive. Is there a way to do this, and if so how and which FAH client to use?

I'm running the V6 console SMP as a service on Win 7. Very easy to set up. Run the client with the -configonly flag the first time & it will have an option to run as service.

I have no personal experience with the V7 beta client but I would guess it probably has a service install option as well.

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
The V7-SMP can run as a service. But if you have a GPU and want fold with the GPU it won't run at all (for many GPUs) or quite bad. Thats why it is a beta ...
The V6.3 client can be installed as a service. See above post for how-to.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I am wondering, how does running F@H as a service, interact with systems that are set to go to sleep after 30 minutes of not being used.

Will the system sleep, and interrupt F@H, and then F@H will resume when woken up, or will it error? Or will F@H intentionally prevent the computer from sleeping at all?

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Sorry can't help you there ... I am running my comps 24/7 with all energy saving turned off just to be sure that the comp does not go to sleep.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
VirtualLarry: It looks to me like the FAH gets suspended when the system goes into hibernation (or whatever they call that under Win7).

I had a bit of trouble setting up that box but eventually settled upon a fairly easy method.

1) Download FAH, unzip into a directory (apparently NOT supposed to be under Program Files, I used C:\FAH

2) Create a shortcut to the executable on the desktop.

3) Modify the shortcut to include the -configonly after the executable name, and check the box marked Run as Administrator.

4) Start FAH using the shortcut, fill in the parameters. If to run as a service then must reboot

5) delete shortcut when done.