Insert SIM card into Nexus. Phone shuts down.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
I bought a Google Nexus in China. Since China does not officially sell Nexii, it is contraband. But I had no other options for a pentaband phone on extremely short notice. It is, however, a real Nexus. Not a copy.

I bought a China Unicom card. The Nexus functions happily without a SIM card, but when I put in the SIM card, reboot the phone, 5 seconds after booting up the screen will just shut off. The power button doesn't respond. Nothing responds. I have to take out the battery.

The card DOES work. I was able to connect to Google on the card once before it "shut down."

I'm at a loss as to WTF is going on. How does a SIM card make this happen? The OS is completely stock 4.1.2, unlocked.

fuzzybabybunny

Jan 2, 2006
Like I said in the OP, it's definitely not a fake. IMEI checks out. Phone made for distribution in Japan. They simply imported it into China because the Chinese market does not have the Nexus.

Anyway, the were able to duplicate the problem even after re-flashing their own firmware so they're getting me a new one tomorrow.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
If everything is legit then take the phone to the store where you bought it and have them try the card in another phone. If it works then the problem is the phone. You know the drill.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

I kinda meant did he buy it from "some guy on a market stall who's cousins friends can get hold of these things" or from a proper retail channel.

Unless your *sigh* was more of a "lol China" sort of thing. :D

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
Like I said in the OP, it's definitely not a fake. IMEI checks out. Phone made for distribution in Japan. They simply imported it into China because the Chinese market does not have the Nexus.

Anyway, the were able to duplicate the problem even after re-flashing their own firmware so they're getting me a new one tomorrow.
That's probably the reason.

Feb 19, 2001
its probably not a fake. just because it's china doesn't mean it's a fake. the fakes there aren't meant for you to get fooled if you have any bit of intelligence. you can figure it out pretty quickly.

Feb 19, 2001
Probably not, since the OP is supposedly in China right now.
Well I think this is a fair test to see if a SIM triggers an automatic shutdown of the phone or is it because the Chinese network is doing something. I'd like to find out. I think testing a US SIM is fair.

Kinda tells you if it's a hardware problem or not.

Necrolezbeast

Apr 11, 2002
always test things at the shop, imo... not too uncommon that there is an issue with a device anywhere, may as well check things out as you buy it.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Well I think this is a fair test to see if a SIM triggers an automatic shutdown of the phone or is it because the Chinese network is doing something. I'd like to find out. I think testing a US SIM is fair.

Kinda tells you if it's a hardware problem or not.

Again... you're assuming the OP has a US sim available.

If you'd have been following along on his troll-fest, you'd know the previous post in his troll saga had him taking a bumpy little rickshaw ride down the streets of China and his cellphone that he was magically burning though 3 standard batteries a day on magically got "bounced" out of wherever he was storing as they hit a bump in the road it and disappeared into the Chinese sunset.

So it's extremely doubtful that he'll have a US sim available to test with.

Feb 19, 2001
Again... you're assuming the OP has a US sim available.

If you'd have been following along on his troll-fest, you'd know the previous post in his troll saga had him taking a bumpy little rickshaw ride down the streets of China and his cellphone that he was magically burning though 3 standard batteries a day on magically got "bounced" out of wherever he was storing as they hit a bump in the road it and disappeared into the Chinese sunset.

So it's extremely doubtful that he'll have a US sim available to test with.

I thought he was using his previous Gnex with a Chinese prepaid SIM already. And if that's the case, most people take out their US SIM out and then stick the Chinese SIM in. Unless he also carried his T-Mo SIM or whatever with his old gnex, I would think he would've put it away.

But knowing OP anything can happen. I'm just asking if he has that option to try, because it's something I'd try to make sure it's not a hardware issue with the SIM pins making poor contact or whatever.

fuzzybabybunny

Jan 2, 2006
I thought he was using his previous Gnex with a Chinese prepaid SIM already. And if that's the case, most people take out their US SIM out and then stick the Chinese SIM in. Unless he also carried his T-Mo SIM or whatever with his old gnex, I would think he would've put it away.

But knowing OP anything can happen. I'm just asking if he has that option to try, because it's something I'd try to make sure it's not a hardware issue with the SIM pins making poor contact or whatever.

I don't have my US SIM on me. I didn't have a SIM on me at the time but it is likely that it would have passed any test, the reason being that this phone shutdown only occurs when I put in and use a China Unicom SIM card. When I put in a China *Mobile* SIM card it works fine.

Everyone at the store has a China Mobile card so it would have passed the test that day. I use China Unicom because they're the only provider with good 3G coverage. In fact when I went back there they put in one of their China Mobile cards and it worked fine, so in typical Chinese fashion, they did that "you're a fucking idiot, see, it works! It's your card." yell at me and I had to fight a bit to get them to find a China Unicom to test. Sure enough, it shut down on their cards as well. So it must have something to do with accessing China Unicom's frequencies or something. Bah, I don't know.

I just want to confirm that a shutdown (I'm not even sure if it's a shutdown - the screen just goes black and none of the buttons work) is extremely abnormal and isn't actually what's *supposed* to happen with a phone with a bad IMEI or some kind of "SIM blacklisting the phone" kind of thing.

SunnyD's just too dense to understand that some people lead a different lifestyle and use their phone differently than he does (ie. a lot more because we manage every aspect of our business on it, hourly, 24 hours a day). Anything he finds unbelievable (outside of his realm of understanding) he automatically thinks is some kind of troll attempt.