Insane amount of hits on 30414 after trojan/virus removal - Help?

Dec 3, 2005
Figured this belonged in networking. I had a massive trojan attack of something from about 20 some odd objects all of a sudden earlier tonight. Luckily, I have access to Mcafee firewall/virus protection through comcast, so I loaded it up ASAP. Now I have an insane amount of hits on 30414. What the heck should I do? Is there any way I can stop them from impacting my internet service?

I'm up to about 1,000+ hits in the past 10 minutes or so.

Weirdest thing about this was I had been sitting in bed, looked over and see these little dos windows start poping up. Something about project1 and umyea.exe in the start up that I killed before restarting. It absolutely slowed my computer down to a hault. I was barely able to bring up the process menu. I mean, I didn't execute an exe or download a vb script...just all of a sudden, this stuff started happening. Very odd....

List of a few of the trojans I got according to McAfee:

Generic Downloader.q
Exploit-ByteVerify x 5
Generic Downloader.y
Oolaid
Downloader-YF
Generic Download FL
Zquest
DollarRevenue

I had just redone my Windows OS the other night....I usually have these installed. What a pain..

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Unplug your modem for the day, go outside and play.

Did you reload your system? Cleaning up traojans and rootkits and whatnot isn't fun, and not always effective.
Are you using a SOHO router, like the linksys or d-link ones you can get at bestbuy? If not, get one now.
Make sure your anti-virus software is set to monitor everything that comes in, is scheduled to run a full scan fairly often, and is setup to automatically update.

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
Depending on your Internet connection and your firewalls and your account priviliges, you could have almost ANYTHING on your system, including root kits.

You can either start doing research on scanners and malware removal and spend hours on Help Forums, or you can spend a couple of hours backing up your data and re-installing your OS.

Guess which one I recommend....

The most effective course of action (and least-time-consuming over the long run):
1) Back up your important data. You SHOULD have backups anyway. Hard drives fail ALL THE TIME.
2) Reinstall your OS and your applications.
3) Install Antivirus and a single active Antispyware application. I recommend MS Antispyware, since it's free and works fairly well. Keep your AV and A-Spyware definitions current.
4) If you are using XP, be SURE to update to SP2 and keep the firewall ON.
5) Create a Limited-Privileges account (Limited User in Windows XP) and USE IT. Do NOT use your computer with an account that has Administrator rights. It's asking for trouble.
6) Learn the rules of safe web surfing so you won't have any more problems.

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey
Unplug your modem for the day, go outside and play.

Did you reload your system? Cleaning up traojans and rootkits and whatnot isn't fun, and not always effective.
Are you using a SOHO router, like the linksys or d-link ones you can get at bestbuy? If not, get one now.
Make sure your anti-virus software is set to monitor everything that comes in, is scheduled to run a full scan fairly often, and is setup to automatically update.
as well as getting something more effective then McAfee: ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite..
Here is PCMAG's review:. It does cost $70, but it is so worth it. best app i ever baught. nothing get's past this man! nothin'!