inquiring about an amd GPU

Rocketman122

Jul 22, 2013
I want to support amd but till now ive only ever bought nvidia. looking at purchasing the 580 8gb but saw a post on fb for a guy selling one. sent him a pm and he said he was not happy with the performance.
im curious how amd cards in the real wolrd vs nvidia. benchmarks are all good and dand but im wondering if you really get those speeds if there are driver issues. if things are as a smooth as ive had it with nvidia

I now have a gtx660 and while its a decent cards for my needs and games I play, I think its time to relegate it as a spare gpu and upgrade. ive never had an amd (or is it ati?) gpu. quite happy with my 8320FX which get pushed aside for a ryzen 7 chip
but I have seen more issues with drivers for amd cards then I have for nvdia. I may be wrong but that has always scared me to get one. I realize that amd cards on the whole perform to a specific nvidia card and they are cheaper then them, but do they really offer great performance for the money or is it just benchmark hype...

any feedback appreciated.

Rocketman122

Jul 22, 2013
ok bigger problem. power consumption
im curious if the for using the gpu for its life cycle the difference over the years will cost more in money for the electricity then the difference in price reduction vs the 1060

meaning, if im saving $50 (for instance) over the 1060, will I wind up paying more for power consumption over the 1060 to basically negate the price difference

Reactions: senseamp

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
The RX 580 usually performs the same as a GTX 1060 6GB. The only major exception to this would be games which use Unreal Engine 4 - AMD GPUs generally perform worse than NVIDIA in Unreal Engine 4 titles, which is primarily due to lack of optimization. Also, for AMD GPUs, OpenGL performance on Windows is pretty bad.

Those are pretty much the only caveats to keep in mind. As far as driver stability is concerned, AMD drivers have improved a lot over the years and are very stable nowadays.

Reactions: Rocketman122

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I think you dont read posts fully. I wrote that im getting a ryzen 7
I read it, but english may not be your first language. You said " which get pushed aside". That could mean "which GOT pushed aside" or "which WILL get pushed aside".

Its not clear. And insulting a moderator is not a good thing to do.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
ok bigger problem. power consumption
im curious if the for using the gpu for its life cycle the difference over the years will cost more in money for the electricity then the difference in price reduction vs the 1060

meaning, if im saving $50 (for instance) over the 1060, will I wind up paying more for power consumption over the 1060 to basically negate the price difference
Power consumption only comes to play when it comes to factoring heat output. It will take you years to make up for the difference in power consumption in terms of what you pay for your electricity bill.

Lets do a quick calculation - an RX 580 typically consumes 100W more than a GTX 1060 while gaming. So if you're gaming for four hours a day, that's 0.4 KWh/day. So per year you're consuming an additional 0.4*30*12 = 144 KWh. Average cost of electricity in the USA is $0.13/KWh, so you're paying roughly $19 extra per year compared to the GTX 1060.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocketman122

Rocketman122

Jul 22, 2013
it is clear. im insulted. you didnt fully read the post and your first comment wasnt on anything I was concerned about. I noticed this a lot here. people just post whatever the heck they want which is not relevant to what im asking. or even when I specifically said " please dont recommend X solution" and someone will come along and recommend X solution.
"quite happy with my 8320FX which get pushed aside for a ryzen 7 chip "

will do more research regarding the amd card. seems what im seeing is that in benchmarks on "sites" show it as a great performer but in real world in peoples hands they are not great performers. plus over the 5-6 year duration that Ill probably hold the card (like my current gtx 660) it will cost more then the difference in price. I dont upgrade cards often obviously.

"AMD drivers have improved a lot over the years and are very stable nowadays."
i was right that I was always seeing driver issues with amd. it wasnt in my head.
I want to support amd but what im seeing doest calm my nerves. I can understand someone buying a gtx1050ti and selling it because it doesnt impress but when a person posts a new 580 for sale after 3 months of ownership, im questioning buying an amd gpu.

looking to get the card for gaming but maybe 3 hours total a week.
1080p video editing and photo editing. I will look into it more. thank you all for your time.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
i was right that I was always seeing driver issues with amd. it wasnt in my head.
I want to support amd but what im seeing doest calm my nerves. I can understand someone buying a gtx1050ti and selling it because it doesnt impress but when a person posts a new 580 for sale after 3 months of ownership, im questioning buying an amd gpu.

1080p video editing and photo editing. I will look into it more. thank you all for your time.
There could be a variety of reasons why the person you inquired with is selling his RX 580, not necessarily due to drivers. Maybe he was expecting higher performance out of it? The RX 580 is really suited for 1080p ultra gaming at 60FPS, push it any higher without sacrificing visual quality and it starts to suffer.

Personally speaking, if I was getting it for 50$ less than a GTX 1060, I would grab it. Of course the usual caveats of being a used card apply.

Which model of the RX 580 is he selling, if you don't mind my asking?

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
The GTX 1060 6GB and RX 580 8GB perform essentially the same. I would focus on whichever has the better cooler.

What is your power supply?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
it is clear. im insulted. you didnt fully read the post and your first comment wasnt on anything I was concerned about. I noticed this a lot here. people just post whatever the heck they want which is not relevant to what im asking. or even when I specifically said " please dont recommend X solution" and someone will come along and recommend X solution.
"quite happy with my 8320FX which get pushed aside for a ryzen 7 chip "

will do more research regarding the amd card. seems what im seeing is that in benchmarks on "sites" show it as a great performer but in real world in peoples hands they are not great performers. plus over the 5-6 year duration that Ill probably hold the card (like my current gtx 660) it will cost more then the difference in price. I dont upgrade cards often obviously.

"AMD drivers have improved a lot over the years and are very stable nowadays."

Basically, no one understands you. That isn't everyone else's fault. got and get have two very different meanings. either you left out a word or just used the wrong word when you typed "get." The point is that he didn't know if you are expecting "to get" a new CPU or if you "already got" one. Regardless, getting huffy with a mod is not a good look.

As far as power consumption difference, depending on where you live and if you have some crazy kwh rate, it is almost certainly negligible and not worth considering. Also important to realize that no one can help you with that question if you don't provide the relevant data--what is your power cost and what do you plan to do with it? Gaming only or 24 hour mining? What kind of games? etc. Again, that is your fault. no one else's.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Personally I would wait until June to see what the new AMD NAVI has to offer and then decide what card to get.

But if you only play 3 hours per week, the power consumption doesn't need to be a concern. It will take more than 5-6 years to even reach the price difference. Also in the majority of latest games the RX 580 8GB is faster than 1060 6GB.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
More concerning for the power consumption is what your power supply is. Sounds like you have an older system with a fairly power hungry cpu. If your power supply is old, lower quality, or low wattage, the 1060 would be more suited. The 1060 only requires one six pin connector, which you must have since the 660 requires one. The 580 requires an 8 pin or even a six and eight pin both. I would check that out before purchasing the 580. Also, you say the 580 is 50.00 cheaper than a 1060. Is that in relation to a used 1060? If not, I think the 580 should be more than 50.00 cheaper, since new vs new they tend to be cheaper already.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Personally I would wait until June to see what the new AMD NAVI has to offer and then decide what card to get.

But if you only play 3 hours per week, the power consumption doesn't need to be a concern. It will take more than 5-6 years to even reach the price difference. Also in the majority of latest games the RX 580 8GB is faster than 1060 6GB.
They both win some and lose some. The performance overall is very close.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
They both win some and lose some. The performance overall is very close.

In most 2019 game releases I have seen, the RX 580 8GB is faster than GTX1060 6GB.

Even in NVIDIA optimized games like Metro : Exodus
index.php

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
The AMD cards are fine, as long as you get a solid one with a good cooler. This comes down to the model. A good 580 will do ever slightly better than a 6GB 1060. If you have a good power supply and it is in your budget, I would recommend the following as an AMD card to get. Make sure it fits in your case too; the cooler is top notch, and thus rather large. For $399 on newegg:

https://www.newegg.com/sapphire-rad...=vega 64&cm_re=vega_64-_-14-202-321-_-Product

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
@Rocketman122

I agree with @AtenRa that you should wait to see what Navi has to offer. Worst-case scenario, you wind up saving money when RX 580 prices go down. Also I would hesitate to get a 6GB GPU in 2019.

I would not expect any major driver problems from AMD thesedays. Most of their drivers are solid now on recent cards.

Reactions: prtskg