[INQ] Nvidia's GTX680 gets thrashed by AMD's mid-range Radeon HD 7870 in GPU compute

Plimogz

Oct 3, 2009
Perhaps Nvidia just crippled their mid-range's double-precision floating point even more than AMD?

In any case, it is hanging around the 7870 nicely, considering a roughly 30% clockspeed disadvantage.

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
Perhaps Nvidia just crippled their mid-range's double-precision floating point even more than AMD?
they must have in order to fall short of even the HD 7870's FP64 performance. the HD 7870's crippled FP64 performance is only a sorry 1/16 of its FP32 performance. and the HD 7970's FP64 performance is 1/4 of its FP32 performance, which is why its far ahead in the Sandra 2012SP2 compute benchmark in that review.

that being said, keep in mind that very few DC projects actually require double precision GPUs. out of the 10+ projects that allow GPU compute, only Milkyway@Home comes to mind. so for MW@H, or any other DC projects requiring FP64-capable GPUs, invest in some previous generation VLIW5 and VLIW4 architecture GPUs (58xx and 69xx series GPUs). if that benchmark is truly representative of raw FP64 performance, then the HD 78xx series GPUs (and consequently nVidia's next-gen mid-range GPUs) is a complete waste of money for the FP64 projects. the HD 7870's throughput is ~250 MPix/s, compared to the 544 MPix/s of the HD 5870 from 2 generations ago, and the 675 MPix/s of the previous generation HD 6970...

...or you could spend twice as much money on an HD 79xx series GPU and kick yourself when you don't get twice the performance :)...

Last edited:

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
So Sunny, The 680 should be a killer at seti ?
i really don't know. the Inquirer article doesn't really mention anything about the GTX 680's single precision floating point (FP32) performance. that, and i really don't know yet how it compares to its predecessors, the GTX 5xx series. but as you already know, the GTX 580 currently holds the title for the most efficient SETI@Home Multibeam GPU in regards to PPD/pure compute ability...PPD per watt might be a different story altogether. so assuming the GTX 680 is substantially better than say the GTX 580, and taking in to consideration the fact that FP32 performance is a standard feature that GPU manufacturers don't cripple, i would then expect the GTX 680 to be quite the SETI@Home Multibeam cruncher.

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
...and all of the sudden the GTX 680's lackluster FP64 performance (as demonstrated by the Sandra 2012SP2 compute benchmark in the Inquirer review) makes sense - according to Anand's GTX 680 review, FP64 performance is a laughable 1/24 of its FP32 performance. so just like the AMD 78xx series GPUs, it appears that the GTX 680 is going to be less efficient than its predecessors with respect to Milkyway@Home (or any general compute for that matter) requiring double precision.

double precision aside though, it looks to be a very promising GPU for SETI@Home and the like...

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
At least from a power, heat and noise perspective, this looks like a win if you don't care much about FP64 throughput.

Well done, nvidia. Well done.

Here is to price cuts on AMD products!

I hope that nvidia can also make a compelling care to replace the 460/560 in the near term...

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
not me lol...the wad of cash that was burning a hole in my pocket i've since spent on some previous generation GPUs...

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
I won't be getting one either, at least for awhile. I'm also interested in waiting on Big-Kepler to see what kind of numbers that big die will bring to compute. Wife and I are moving into our new house on the 7th next month so no money on nerd tech until we settle in. On a positive note, I'll have much more space to hold more computers!

Last edited:

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I won't be getting one either, at least for awhile. I'm also interested in waiting on Big-Kepler to see what kind of numbers that big die will bring to compute. Wife and I are moving into our new house on the 7th next month so no money on nerd tech until we settle in. On a positive note, I'll have much more space to hold more computers!

Haha, yes! Hopefully you were wise enough to have a basement room with plenty of power, etc :)

I remember moving ~13 tower (a couple were empty cases) out of our 1k Sq foot town home - I moved them all myself in a couple trips rather have all the people who helped us move the bulk of our furniture, etc realize what a hobby/habit I had :$

Perhaps I have fewer now, but I do less sales/refurbishment as well...

Hopefully you love your new house! Our has reached the ten year mark and so has become a money pit :p Next month DC budget is likely to be consumed by a new water heater... sigh. Had to put new shingles on last year...

Again, congrats on your new home. Very nice :thumbsup: May it be everything you wanted it to be.

Last edited:

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
Haha, yes! Hopefully you were wise enough to have a basement room with plenty of power, etc :)

I remember moving ~13 tower (a couple were empty cases) out of our 1k Sq foot town home - I moved them all myself in a couple trips rather have all the people who helped us move the bulk of our furniture, etc realize what a hobby/habit I had :$

Perhaps I have fewer now, but I do less sales/refurbishment as well...

Hopefully you love your new house! Our has reached the ten year mark and so has become a money pit :p Next month DC budget is likely to be consumed by a new water heater... sigh. Had to put new shingles on last year...

Again, congrats on your new home. Very nice :thumbsup: May it be everything you wanted it to be.

Thanks dude, it will be nicely to finally have some space for, well, everything haha. Our 1000 sq.ft. condo just isn't cutting it anymore. Most of the rigs in my sig are housed at work so my business can pay the electric bill. :) From the condo to the new home, I have a total of three computers which isn't too bad to move. I'll probably take a small hit in PPD during the move. Luckily my ISP is installing my services the following day after the move so it should be minimal downtime.

Last edited: