Input on bent cpu socket pins

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Want some input on this...

So, I was removing a motherboard(my old Abit P965 QuadGT) one day when I was sick and under medication so I kinda was not thinking straight 100%. After it was removed, I was attempting to put the stupid cpu socket cover back on, but was doing it wrong. I ended up denting/bending two spots in the copper cpu socket pins. I dont have a picture, but its not that severe or anything. There are two "notches" on the bottom side of the cpu socket cover and those are what bent the pins in two spots.

My question was, is this a big issue and would it affect the cpu? I dont think it would but...I wanted to ask. Do a few bent pins in the socket change anything?

This is the first time ive done something like this to a mobo so....

Last edited:

sno.lcn

Jun 21, 2011
Yes, a few bent pins can ruin your life! Well, they can ruin your day. They're pretty easy to straighten back out though. Just be patient and don't break them off in the process. You can use a magnifying glass and a very small screwdriver/tweezers/forceps/needle to help.

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
My son taught me a neat trick for fixing bent pins. He uses the tip of a fine point mechanical pencil and a small plastic straight edge. The pins fit perfectly inside the pencil tip, it helps straightens bends in the pin, and allows good support of the pin while you correct any angle problems. He methodically goes down the row and straightens them right up! Just be patient and don't try to force the cpu back into the slot. If it doesn't just drop right in there are still bent pins.

janas19

Platinum Member
Nov 10, 2011
My son taught me a neat trick for fixing bent pins. He uses the tip of a fine point mechanical pencil and a small plastic straight edge. The pins fit perfectly inside the pencil tip, it helps straightens bends in the pin, and allows good support of the pin while you correct any angle problems. He methodically goes down the row and straightens them right up! Just be patient and don't try to force the cpu back into the slot. If it doesn't just drop right in there are still bent pins.

That's a bright kid you got MDM! :)

pm

Elite Member Mobile Devices
Jan 25, 2000

That's the method that we use in the labs at Intel as well - mechanical pencils without the lead, and a lot of patience. I'm glad most chips don't have pins any more.

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Hypothetical.....

Say....during the process of trying to fix bent pins on motherboard, one end got broken off on one of the pins. How important is it for the bottom of cpu to be touching every single pin? Is it essential for the cpu to be touching all pins in the socket to function?

Also the mobo has an LED readout of the current status. If you fired a motherboard up with a non-working cpu or not making contact, would the readout say something related to that?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
IF you're lucky, then the broken-off pin is a member of the power or ground planes, in which case, there are a number of fairly redundant pins. (Although, missing a pin, will result in a slightly lower current capacity for the chip.)

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001

That works for the CPU, not so much for the socket. Intel's LGA775 has the pins in the socket. http://www.anandtech.com/show/2157

For the socket itself, I use tweezers, a small jewelers screwdriver and lots of patience. Don't force them too much at a time or they can break.

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
That works for the CPU, not so much for the socket. Intel's LGA775 has the pins in the socket. http://www.anandtech.com/show/2157

For the socket itself, I use tweezers, a small jewelers screwdriver and lots of patience. Don't force them too much at a time or they can break.

Thats what happened lol. One broke, not the whole thing but the tip.

I havnt completely narrowed this down yet, but the motherboard does not even get to the post screen so that I can even view anything. I am guessing its the bent pins and the 1 broken pin on the mobo causing this issue. : / I think I might have screwed myself out of a working mobo I had planned to sell... There goes $70 down the tube.

Im gonna pull the mobo out tonight and work on it again with a magnifying glass and tweezers. Damnit...

Last edited:

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
if it's broken, you may not be able to fix it. try an rma, sometimes they'll replace or repair the socket for a reasonable price.

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
if it's broken, you may not be able to fix it. try an rma, sometimes they'll replace or repair the socket for a reasonable price.

Its a 4-5 year old mobo ive been using in my old rig. Its an Abit P965 Quadgt. :p As you may or may not know, Abit is no longer and even if it was, I would not have any warranty remaining.

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
They won't warranty it, duh... And I know abit is defunct, but didn't someone take over their claims?

It would be an RMA for repair, which still happens andyou don't need a warranty to do. I have done it before. I had an MSI mobo with a busted heatpipe which was purely my fault and I told them so. I sent it in with an RMA, they emailed me a quote to "repair" it and I got it back not long after. Only cost $20 or $25 including shipping, cheaper than buying a replacement heatpipe cooler from ebay..

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
I dont think anyone took over their claims, but I could be wrong. I dont know. Good to know though. Im actually surprised they do repairs for that cheap. I would have guessed way more than that. Might be worth it I guess. This mobo probably isnt worth more than $50-70 at this point so, not sure its worth me spending money on. Id have to look into if thats possible since Abit is gone.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
Another option is to have someone fix it, but asking for services here isn't allowed. You could also sell it cheap damaged and someone who does fix them will likely grab it from you.

philipma1957

Golden Member
Jan 8, 2012
I dont think anyone took over their claims, but I could be wrong. I dont know. Good to know though. Im actually surprised they do repairs for that cheap. I would have guessed way more than that. Might be worth it I guess. This mobo probably isnt worth more than $50-70 at this point so, not sure its worth me spending money on. Id have to look into if thats possible since Abit is gone.

Thanks for the info.

sometimes they swap boards and don't repair just to dump old stock. you could get lucky

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
I got my H61 ECS 1155 board yesterday. Open the cap and what do I find? 2 bent pins . I did buy it cheap on ebay and it was listed as 'new'. I still blame it on ECS Q/C. I bent the pins back with a small flathead eyeglass screwdriver and I am typing on it as we speak :)