Input: 2015 Moto G or 2014 Moto X?

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
Posted this elsewhere, but starting a separate thread. I have a 2013 moto G and wondering when and what to upgrade to. It's becoming painfully slow, near unusable (I will attempt a factory reset to buy some time).

2015 Moto G is $220 - Snapdragon 410
2014 Moto X (32GB) is ~$250 used - Snapdragon 801

From the Bench scores the '14 X almost seems better? Except in battery life (X is 75% of the G)
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1546?vs=1343

'15 G also has the waterproof thing, but I've never drowned a phone so not sure I care. I does have SD card support too, but I stream my music and haven't had any huge space problems with 16GB, and I'd get a 32GB X. The 2015 X of course looks nice, but there is no way I'm spending $450 on a phone!

So, any opinion of which is the better choice for about the same price?

FYI; I do pretty basic stuff on my phone; email, web, maps, podcasts and music. No games, not much media consumption. The G screen has been perfectly fine for me. Don't take pictures, but that could be because camera suck, lol.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
The X is the better phone, but the G comes with a warranty and would be new.

For me personally it wouldn't even be a question. I couldn't handle that Moto G screen, after years of 1080p at five inches 720p at five inches looks like garbage. But you say the G screen is perfectly fine, so that isn't a concern for you.

Will you ever use NFC or Android Pay?

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
The X is the better phone, but the G comes with a warranty and would be new.

For me personally it wouldn't even be a question. I couldn't handle that Moto G screen, after years of 1080p at five inches 720p at five inches looks like garbage. But you say the G screen is perfectly fine, so that isn't a concern for you.

Will you ever use NFC or Android Pay?

Thanks. Hadn't thought of the warranty, not sure how big a deal that is.

No I don't really have a problem with the 720p screen. I can read text on it fine so don't see any reason for higher res. My current G is only 4.5, not sure how big a difference it would be at 5". Since I've never had it, I don't know if there are other advantages to 1080p I'm missing?

I had NFC in my old GNex. I used it once to pay at the grocery store. I see no reason to bother with more of that. Frankly it was about as much hassle as using a card anyway (and I don't get all my credit card points). I haven't even kept up with this Android pay stuff, is it just the same as the old Google Wallet? Are they just copying the apple naming scheme to try to get people to use it? (Last time they gave me $10. Do that and I might..)

Last edited:

gar655

Mar 4, 2008
I just moved over to Android and the Moto G 2015 from 5 years of iOS. It's a nice phone. The screen seems fine. Not quite the color and contrast of the iPhone 5 but I appreciate the extra size.

Battery life if pretty good, no complaints at all. Like you I was not going to pay $400 or more for a phone (iPhone lighting port went bad) and at $240 with tax and a 32gb SD card the MotoG is a really good deal.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Thanks. Hadn't thought of the warranty, not sure how big a deal that is.

In my experience Moto warranties are excellent if you buy from them.

Since I've never had it, I don't know if there are other advantages to 1080p I'm missing?

Nope, you should be fine.

I haven't even kept up with this Android pay stuff, is it just the same as the old Google Wallet?

No, Google Wallet was a credit card stand-in. Android Pay is meant to fill in the channel Apple had to carve with retailers to get Apple Pay to work.

I really think the G is a good option for you given what you have said. As long as your carrier supports its LTE I say go for it.

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I just moved over to Android and the Moto G 2015 from 5 years of iOS. It's a nice phone. The screen seems fine. Not quite the color and contrast of the iPhone 5 but I appreciate the extra size.

Battery life if pretty good, no complaints at all. Like you I was not going to pay $400 or more for a phone (iPhone lighting port went bad) and at $240 with tax and a 32gb SD card the MotoG is a really good deal.

If you are new on android you should install Google Opinion rewards. Every so often google will ask you questions..have you been here recently, do you shop here etc? and will give you play store credit. I have probably got 20 bucks or more the past year

Jan 20, 2013
I actually own both a 2014 X and a 2015 G. The X has a nicer camera and screen. It is also a bit faster but the 2015 G is perfectly usable for everyday stuff. If a battery life is a selling point, the 2015 G will last about two days for normal stuff which is way better than the X's one day.

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
I actually own both a 2014 X and a 2015 G. The X has a nicer camera and screen. It is also a bit faster but the 2015 G is perfectly usable for everyday stuff. If a battery life is a selling point, the 2015 G will last about two days for normal stuff which is way better than the X's one day.
What luck, just the opinion I need! Sounds like the benchmarks are right then. X is faster, but battery life not as good. Which do you prefer, or use daily?

To summarize, other reasons to get the 2015 G:
-warranty
-SD card
-water resistant

Trade that for a faster, older phone. Hm, bit of a toss up really. None of those things are a huge deal to me, but maybe as a package the new G will be more pleasant to use and last longer.

Bit disappointed I only got a year out of my current G, but it was already old and weak hardware when I got it. Maybe I should learn a lesson and get the new thing this time (but still cheap/low end)

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
With pros and cons so clearly defined, I do not think anyone else can make that decision for you. You will have to decide for yourself according to your needs.

If it was up to me I would go with the X based on the pros and cons discussed in this thread.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
I'd probably go with the G. It's not as powerful, but SoCs are reaching the point where they've got more power than most users need and they rarely utilize their full potential and if they are, it's probably dealing with some ad-infested website that's trying to play video ads and serve Javascript or other cruft from the four corners of the Internet.

If you think the screen is fine, there's really no downside in your case so you get better battery life for less cost, as well as getting a brand new device.

LPCTech

Dec 11, 2013
I just bought my girlfriend a Moto G 2015, she loves it. Its a nice screen in my opinion. It seems fast and no issues. I want one to replace my galaxy s3. soon...

FreeKill998

Aug 24, 2011
That is the 2014 model, you own link even mentions the new one
"(Pssst...we just announced the all new Moto X Pure Edition, which we hope you will love even more. Click here for details)"

Ahh for some reason I was thinking the 2014 model was the 1st gen. Got my numbers messed up.

stateofmind

Aug 24, 2012
www.glj.io

Are you sure the camera is better? in what sense?