"Innocent women and children yadda yadda" WTF about us men???

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Out of curiousity, if you and a 5 year old were on a sinking boat with just one spot left on the lifeboat, what would you do? For the purposes of this question, you cannot carry the child. You have to either sacrifice the child or yourself. What do you do?

Dec 28, 2001
Originally posted by: WinstonSmith
Out of curiousity, if you and a 5 year old were on a sinking boat with just one spot left on the lifeboat, what would you do? For the purposes of this question, you cannot carry the child. You have to either sacrifice the child or yourself. What do you do?

I'd force the child (and others) to take turns paddling behind the lifeboat. Simple.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Jehovah

I'd force the child (and others) to take turns paddling behind the lifeboat. Simple.

Smart man! :)

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: NFS4
Originally posted by: Jehovah

Smart man! :)

He cheated. :p

I said it had to be either or ;)

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
There are a significant number of dickwads here and I have no doubt that many of them would throw the child overboard to save their own sorry asses.

To NSF4: Welcome to the real world, Bro. Historically men have been the protectors while women have been the nurturers. I don't know what to say about children other than they should be protected at all costs.

WinstonSmith is correct, though, noone has answered his question without changing the paramaters.

DanFungus

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Originally posted by: iloveme2
Originally posted by: glen
Women are more valuable.
One man and 1,000 women could re-populate an area; however, one woman and 1,000 men cannot.

that'd be one lucky guy.

The Hedgehog?? Wilt Chamberlin??
rolleye.gif

His name is Sooty :p

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: DanFungus
Women are more valuable.
One man and 1,000 women could re-populate an area; however, one woman and 1,000 men cannot.

that'd be one lucky guy.

The Hedgehog?? Wilt Chamberlin??
rolleye.gif

His name is Sooty :p

ROTFLMAO! :D

To NSF4: Welcome to the real world, Bro. Historically men have been the protectors while women have been the nurturers.

1) A woman's place is at home cooking dinner and popping out babies
2) An American family is a husband and wife and two kids
3) Blacks and whites should be segregated in all areas

Sterotypes die

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
"Stereotypes die"

I assume that means the 5 year old would too?

What does that have to do with anything?

Konigin

Platinum Member
Jan 21, 2003
OK, I'm getting rather irked at hearing this mess on the TV all the time. Are we men not innocent victims as well when sh!t goes down that isn't our fault??? Like a bus full of people over in Israel get blowed up and only the women and children are worthy of sympathy?

It came from the old times when women and children couldn't protect themselves and didn't have any strength or survival skills. Men back then were like ubar and could get along without anyones help. :)

fatbaby

Banned
May 7, 2001
Originally posted by: hypersonic5
Women are more valuable.

That would make an awesome pr0no.

Would? I think they already do that in japan.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
"Stereotypes die"

I assume that means the 5 year old would too?

What does that have to do with anything?

It has to do with the difference between being male and being a man. A male you (generically) may be, but that does not make you a man. If you cannot instinctively feel and understand the difference, then I cannot explain it.

isaacmacdonald

Platinum Member
Jun 7, 2002
Originally posted by: Atrail
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919
Would you rather a 27yr old man die or a 7 yr old kid?

why would i want to see people die?

Where did you read the word see into my statment....

how the hell does it make a difference?

I wanted you (whoever) to make a point by answering the statement, not turn it in to a totally different question.

it's a false dichotemy.

His first reply stands as valid. He doesn't have a choice who dies so what difference does it make. Why are the men not considered as innocent as the women and children?

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
Originally posted by: isaacmacdonald

I wanted you (whoever) to make a point by answering the statement, not turn it in to a totally different question.

it's a false dichotemy.

His first reply stands as valid. He doesn't have a choice who dies so what difference does it make. Why are the men not considered as innocent as the women and children?

I answered your question several posts up.

:brokenheart:

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: HappyPuppy
Originally posted by: isaacmacdonald

it's a false dichotemy.

I answered your question several posts up.

:brokenheart:

So when does a "male" child no longer become "innocent" and not worthy of sympathy?

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Women are more valuable.

Let us pray that that one man is not an ATOTer... I can see the threads now: "YAGT: I'm the last man on the planet and none of the women will talk to me"

Wuffsunie

Platinum Member
May 4, 2002
Women are more valuable.

that'd be one lucky guy.
Are you kidding?! Do you even know how much of a pain in the butt afterglow and pillow talk are with ONE women, let alone 1000? And let's not even mention... PMS. You just KNOW who they'd take it out on ;)

-- JacK

isaacmacdonald

Platinum Member
Jun 7, 2002
Originally posted by: HappyPuppy
There are a significant number of dickwads here and I have no doubt that many of them would throw the child overboard to save their own sorry asses.

To NSF4: Welcome to the real world, Bro. Historically men have been the protectors while women have been the nurturers. I don't know what to say about children other than they should be protected at all costs.

WinstonSmith is correct, though, noone has answered his question without changing the paramaters.

hmm... in recent history (the last couple thousand years) the state has been the "protector" visa via the social contract. In more recent history, it has become apparent that women are equally capable of providing for the family. Around the world (mostly developing countries) it seems that children are as well (see also: kathy lee giffard's factories in indonesia). Conclusion: the casualties incurred by the bus explosion consist entirely of non-innocent men, women and children based on this archaic definition.